School runs

stevejay

Inactive User
Reaction score
im a taxi driver & do a school run with disabled kids, takes about 40 mins in the morning & same on a tea time, i get £300 pw for this, the kids parents in question ? one of the parents doesn't work & has a car on the drive, the other kids parents one works but the mother doesn't, they have 2 cars, surely the council should say " well you don't work so you are capable of dropping the kid off" & give them lets say £100 pw fuel voucher ( & that's over the top !! but a incentive i suppose as it probably only costs about £15 pw in fuel) so that's a potential saving of £800 pm just on my run ! & this is happening every school morning nationwide, yet the council are always closing other stuff libraries etc because the cant afford to run them , i know im talking myself out of work here but i just cant understand it at all, does no one look in to the backgrounds of the parents ? don't suppose this is a real rant but it puzzles me TBH, i mean fair enough if they both work or they find a job & need a school run done, but as far as i can see both these kids parents are more than capable ( time wise) to do it themselves, the whole system needs a complete overhaul as its ridiculous at the moment

Last edited:
It's just another example of how the Benefits system is totally mis-managed, but the situation will be read by some as someone scamming the system and so being a "Benefits Scrounger".
Not only does the Benefits System need a complete overhaul so does the management who run the system.
The government should also not be allowed to make knee jerk adjustments to the system.
The Benefit System is something the country should be proud of as it is meant to help those who have slipped into the position of needy and stop those problems becoming worse.............something many other countries do not do.
It is meant as a helping hand for the poor, incapacitated and elderly which on the whole it is. But a few have hijacked the system and made it a money cow and the reaction to stop this has been to hit everyone on Benefit instead of targeting those who are so obviously abusing the system.

Are you taking them because they are disabled or because of distance from school ?

If the parents can afford to run cars then why should they be entitled to a car service. Disabled or not.

Are you taking them because they are disabled or because of distance from school ?

like i said mate it only takes me around the 40 min mark from leaving my house to getting back & i have 2 kids to collect, its not about the distance

I can see the point, but you don't know the full situation. This probably isn't like other "benefit" scandals.

They may both drive, but equally while you are taking them to school, they could be looking after another child in which it becomes an inconvenience to actually leave the house, the one that works may leave for work earlier than the children you take have to be in school. You just don't know.

Being disabled they will be allowed a mobility allowance. If that is being spent on taxis, whats' the problem?

Being disabled they will be allowed a mobility allowance. If that is being spent on taxis, whats' the problem?

Maybe even a motorbility car. Bought one about a year ago, low mileage little auto, rambling again !
Exos post still possible though, tricky area.

I can see the point, but you don't know the full situation. This probably isn't like other "benefit" scandals.

They may both drive, but equally while you are taking them to school, they could be looking after another child in which it becomes an inconvenience to actually leave the house, the one that works may leave for work earlier than the children you take have to be in school. You just don't know.

They aint

They dont

i do

:LOL:

if you fell that strong about the situation let another driver take the £300 a week for 7 hours work
i know thats not your point but your still taking the cash

or mmaybe the councils should out source the work to private chauffer companys that would charge around half what taxi drivers get
and the kids would get to travel in style

if you fell that strong about the situation let another driver take the £300 a week for 7 hours work
i know thats not your point but your still taking the cash

hmmmm, have you read the opening post then? how is letting someone else do it solving the problem of the original question? i know you said "that's not your point " so why say it ? totally irrelevant to the post

why shouldnt these kids get taken to school. i dont aggree with taxi's being used but thats the local councils choice
remember these expences come from the education budget not from the social securty system
the local coucil should stop paying the taxi drivers £40 per hour and employ a driver just to do the runs
like the local council to myself does
my point was you where quick to down these people that have there kids picked up but your happy to take the cash
if you really want to save the local council some money why not half your prices for school runs
you would still be making from it and saving the council 2k a year
really who many taxi drivers are over charging the coucils for this type of work should be the rant
oh and i did read the original post moaning about taking kids to school when parents are doing nothing
the fact is the local council has a duty of care to get these kids a place to be educated so if that means that the kids get transported to and from
school is this wrong

Steve, is it a special school that you take them to ?
The reason I ask this is that I posted about the Benefit System and Management being at fault, if it is a special school then the likelihood is that the Council are providing and paying for the service of their own choice.
Things like this at Local Council level often happen to appease the PC Brigade and to secure votes from these people.
My Local Council have just announced they are considering stopping dedicated free school buses to the main Catholic Senior School a service they have provided for over 40 years. The uproar this has caused is unbelievable, personally I believe anyone in full time education should be entitled to free bus travel to and from the place of learning, but hey ho !
I point I am trying to make is that if blame lies anywhere then in this case it may be the Council.

Absolutely pointless rant in the first place. Disabled children and moaning about their parents ability to but not taking them to school???
Try bringing up a disabled child. No matter how much you love and care for them are you not entitled to a little respite? Funds are set aside to enable these children where possible to attend a "normal" school, why shouldn't the parents take full use of this.

Is the taxi driver there at night when the parents have to bathe and see to every need of this unfortunate child? I hardly think he is being paid 300 a week for these runs solely either.
A poor rant in my opinion and probably better to be laid to rest.

Absolutely pointless rant in the first place. Disabled children and moaning about their parents ability to but not taking them to school???
Try bringing up a disabled child. No matter how much you love and care for them are you not entitled to a little respite? Funds are set aside to enable these children where possible to attend a "normal" school, why shouldn't the parents take full use of this.

Is the taxi driver there at night when the parents have to bathe and see to every need of this unfortunate child? I hardly think he is being paid 300 a week for these runs solely either.
A poor rant in my opinion and probably better to be laid to rest.

did i not say im my opening post " its not really a rant i suppose it just puzzles me "? and i do get £300 pw for this , if i got £100 i wouldn't bring it up ,

"remember these expenses come from the education budget" & if the parents took them could the money saved not be spent on other things ?

& it is a special school d8rcs mate

as for the taxi drivers overcharging its the council that tells you what the run is & what its worth, nothing to do with us, it you take it you take it

"are you not entitled to a little respite?" these kids go to respite regular, i take them, they are there for weeks at a time mate, like i said i wasn't saying its a rant as such i just think that it could be overhauled & money save irrespective of who pays, education , council etc

did i not say im my opening post " its not really a rant i suppose it just puzzles me "? and i do get £300 pw for this , if i got £100 i wouldn't bring it up ,

"remember these expenses come from the education budget" & if the parents took them could the money saved not be spent on other things ?

& it is a special school d8rcs mate

as for the taxi drivers overcharging its the council that tells you what the run is & what its worth, nothing to do with us, it you take it you take it

"are you not entitled to a little respite?" these kids go to respite regular, i take them, they are there for weeks at a time mate, like i said i wasn't saying its a rant as such i just think that it could be overhauled & money save irrespective of who pays, education , council etc

Another example of how this country gets things soooo wrong.

Today they announced that if you come to the uk you will not be eligable for social housing for 2 years which is a step inthe right direction IMHO.

Another example of how this country gets things soooo wrong.

Today they announced that if you come to the uk you will not be eligable for social housing for 2 years which is a step in the right direction IMHO.

will this not just cause "homeless" problems though? it was on the radio earlier & i thought they said 5 years

will this not just cause "homeless" problems though? it was on the radio earlier & i thought they said 5 years

They dont need to come then . Welcome them in if they can afford to rent or buy otherwise let them wait for social housing or stay where they are

Back