Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Sat Nav - which would you go for?

shabbaranks

VIP Member
VIP Member
Hi,

Im gonna take the plunge and get some sort of sat nav device. Which would you guys reccomend? Ive always thought Navman are the ones to go for as you can install TomTom on them - is this correct?

Holla back with your ideas,muchly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi
It depends on a couple of things really - I've used a Tom Tom for the past couple of years, fancied a change and bought this: 5" GPS SAT NAV SUPER SLIM 4G + MP3/4+ Bluetooth + AV-IN on eBay (end time 05-Nov-10 19:58:38 GMT)

Nice large screen, other options(games, play movies) - It comes with iGo maps which, after only a couple of day's use seems really good.
You can "buy" other maps and upload them onto it too.
On a down side, I tried it on it's internal battery and it only lasted about 2hrs but it does come with car & home charger

I went for a complete no brand Chinese model with a 7" touchscreen, bluetooth for hands free connection to your phone, Sirf IV atlas chipset, 500mhz processor, 2gb built-in memory and SD slot which takes up to 32gb cards, headphone socket, video in so you can use it as a monitor, RF out so you can tune your radio into it for better sound, video playback, MP3 playback, picture browsing, built-in games. It runs on Windows CE 5.0, so there are plenty of apps for it.

It came with IGO 8.3 software and europe maps on the internal memory, but on the Sd card I have IGO 8.3 with US maps, IGO Primo with Europe maps with 3d maps & buldings and TTS voice, Ndrive with Euorpe maps, Automapa with Europe maps, TomTom with Europe & US maps, Sygic with Europe maps, all running of a menu system, with around 20 different apps and games.

I've used it loads of time and it's never had any problems, apart from the fact that a 7" screen is a bit big on the dash so I have it in front of the radio.

It cost me £65 with free delivery. I didn't buy from ebay as they are selling for over £100, I got it from pandawill.

ebuyer and look at the F&H model nice and cheap and easy to put tom t0m on

ebuyer and look at the F&H model nice and cheap and easy to put tom t0m on

i have a f@h sat nav kicking around.
i have never used it, as i have a tom tom.

are you saying i can put tom tom maps on??

You can put the full tomtom program and maps on the F&H device.

excellent, i had no idea.
i have one i was keeping as a back up, will need to have a play with it....
could you point me in the direction of any guides, tuts... :)

excellent, i had no idea.
i have one i was keeping as a back up, will need to have a play with it....
could you point me in the direction of any guides, tuts... :)

There are a couple of guides on here, they may not be labelled as for the F&H units though.

On most units it's just a case of put the tomtom program on the SD card with the same foldername and program name as the original sat nav program IE: if the old one was called "mobilenavigator" then thats what you call the tomtom.

The put the maps on the SD card also. Then you need the crack to activate the maps.

If your unit is like the binatone B430 then you can put tomtom and maps (UK) on the internal memory, and the europe maps on the SD card.

Doesnt seem too bad for £44 delivered. I have had some stuff turn up within 5 days from ordering it.

The only thing I will say is the chipset, media tek MT3351, isn't as good as the Sirf Star IV, not speaking from experience as I've always gone for Sirf, but on the satnav forums more people seem to have weak signal problems with media tek.

Last edited:
download the rar of my f&h and then just run TT (on satnav) to get the bif and you then use fast activate crack maps (from PC)

right m8, i have downloaded you file.
i am a little confused what to do next.
do i unrar and copy all files to sd card or satnav?

how do i run tt on sat nav?

sorry, i am a total novice with sat nav, my first attempt......

(SD in PC)
1. Unrar to SD
(SD in satnav)
2. From main menu select system>3rd page>map path and set mappath to sdmmc\mobilenavagator\mobilenavagator.exe
3. From main menu select navagation to run TT, this will launch TT but crash/stop due to map error.(only need this step to generate bif file)
(SD in PC)
4. Run fast activate,select update meta then select maps,give it a min to finish.
(SD in satnav)
5.From main menu select navagation to run TT, this will launch TT, if worked it should run OK.

m8, absolute quality......

this is my first attempt at doing anything with a sat nav and it worked like a dream....
your download and instructions are top notch.....

that sat nav has been in my cupboard for ages doing nowt....
followed your advice to the letter and now basically have another tom tom.

think i'll use it tomoz.....
thanks again and rep added....

have been using the sat nav the past couple of days.

cracking little device for the money... :)

also has a fm transmitter, so i can stick tonnes of music or audio books onto the sd card and use it like an mp3 player when not using the satnav function...
i like listening to audio books when i'm out and about, but they normally take loads of cd's.....
saves alot of messing about .. :)

Back