Samsung plasma PS-42C96HD Help please?

trevortron

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have was given this old-ish set when it finally gave up the ghost. It's clearly had heat issues, as many of the vent holes were clogged with fluff.
Prior to dying, it used to take a while to come on from standby- starting up, tripping then trying again, for up to 20 minutes until it eventually stayed on & worked fine for the rest of the night. Until of course one day it just wouldn't start up at all.
I checked the PSU for the obvious (and not so obvious) sick electrolytics & replaced about half a dozen with new low-ESR types.
The set now starts up first time, but only displays a very faint raster (audio OK) and no menus or graphics.

View attachment DSC_0008.JPG

I spent many years repairing CRT's (when it was still worth it), and even the odd LCD set but plasma is all new to me & apart from checking the power rails for ripple (which I have & it's pretty tame now) I am at a loss. The set is probably 5 or 6 years old & not worth a fortune but the picture was ok before it died.
Any hints would be appreciated before I send it to that big wall bracket in the sky.

could well be plasma screen has gone happened to me

can be bit of a nightmare as i think once 1 panel has gone it can take another with it

sorry cant be more helpful

could well be plasma screen has gone happened to me

can be bit of a nightmare as i think once 1 panel has gone it can take another with it

sorry cant be more helpful

Thanks mate, kinda confirmed my own thoughts. I'm going to run over some more cap's with the ESR tester- if that proves fruitless it'll be another pile of panels for the TV cemetery.

DSC_0009.JPG

I would expect the control board to be damaged/corrupt flash by the problems in the power supply,

As parker13 said, flash corrupted. U2007 on the control board and is an AT49BV802AT 48pin tsop.
You would need to source one pre-programmed and I assume from your past experience that you have the ability to solder/hot air the replacement.

When the control board is working correctly LED 2001 should blink at 1 second intervals and LED 2002 should blink once before the screen illuminates and then stay off.

Many thanks for the replies guys. @chookey, the LED's are doing exactly as you say (once I found them!!)- long flash from 2002, and 1Hz from 1001. Is there hope?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back