Samsung LE40A616A problem

DoomedEarl

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay... lets use this room :)

I have the above tv. It has recently developed a fault in that when it is switched on there is no picture. If I switch it off and on again via the front power button the picture will usually appear. Having a little read on the sites digi and hejira posted it appears it may be capacitors on the power board. Am I correct in my assumption or could it be something else like the inverter? I have soldered wii chips and jtaged xboxs so I guess soldering caps should be easy enough?
TIA

this is a common fault on samsungs, if you have the right type of PSU board (which the 2 i have here dont lol, typical)

take the back off, and on the power supply board, there should be a small cluster of capacitors in the top right corner

DSCF0301.JPG

DSCF0278.JPG

0.jpg

Thanks Digi... I think thats from the video I saw, with his nipper helping him.

What caps would I need then please?

it would really depend on your board m8, as theres 2 similar types, but with different caps, then theres another type thats nothing like the one pictured

could you post a high res photo?

Its still on the stand :)
I'm at work, and out tonight but when I get a chance I'll take it apart and have a look. Cheers m8

Also will my 30w soldering iron melt the solder?

Last edited:
this is a common fault on samsungs, if you have the right type of PSU board (which the 2 i have here dont lol, typical)

Come on digi fess up how many TV's you got in various states of repair! LOL

Come on digi fess up how many TV's you got in various states of repair! LOL

13 TVs, 3 with smashed screens,from 20"-37" 2 monitors, one with smashed screen, too many sky boxes, a few consoles, 3 tvs to collect, ones a viera with a broken screen, that i have a screen ready for, the viera cost me 25 quid ;), and ebay snipes set up on another 3

i also have a deal with a local shop that sells TVs, that ill buy faulty tellys he collects from customers who buy a new one from him

as well as boards from sets ive stripped down due to broken screens

That makes me feel better about my pile of PC's n Laptops! LOL What diff's a few TV's gonna make!

Viera sounds a touch if you pull it off.

Sorry Doomed I'll now stop hijacking ya thread.

its glue m8, some of those caps are starting to swell though, even though its only slight, they could be the cause

So what caps would I need, sorry I'm a noob at this. :)
Is it just a case of looking at values on the side and matching them up?
And do I replace them all, including the blue ones?

Last edited:
Okay, tonight I'll take it apart again to look at the value of the caps.
Two questions... Is that blue one a cap? Where's a nice place to get them?

the blue ones look like ferrite cored inductors m8, dont worry about them, im looking to see if i can find the capacitor values online for you, i have read them before while searching for another repair, but cant find them again now though lol

here you go m8

This particular Power Supply Unit (PSU) has 3 different types.

* 1000μF 105°C at 10V
* 1000μF 105°C at 25V
* 47uF 105°C at 50V

here you go m8

This particular Power Supply Unit (PSU) has 3 different types.

* 1000μF 105°C at 10V
* 1000μF 105°C at 25V
* 47uF 105°C at 50V

Brilliant thanks m8... now the question is do I fix it and tell the wife I couldn't an get a 50 inch plasma whilst selling this one ;)

Back