Samsung Galaxy S and ROOTING / MOD? Which one do I use? root Galaxy S clock work mod

Re: Samsung Galaxy S and ROOTING / MOD? Which one do I use?

Thanks chaps, What are the "ADB" drivers mate?

It's all getting a little bit confusing...I've read most of that thread that "seanicca" posted and it states it's for "noobs" (like me) but then it goes onto say lots of warnings and do's and don't's"

Any way I'll give it a go what you posted and see what it does, if you think I'm good to go?

On the phone I have the following.

model number - GT-I9000
Firmware Version - 2.3.5
Baseband Version - I9000XXJVT
Kernal Version - 2.6.35.7-I9000XXJVT-CL617736 SE.INFRA@SEI-22 #2
Build number - GINGERBREAD.XXJVT

Judging by the pic above I would guess that the adb drivers are installed already :)

cheers, ok, went for it, I have enabled debugging mode as well in the settings of the phone.....:wtf:

android1.jpg

Thought I'd give the Z4Root a go, downloaded it and then ran it, and chose, permanent, it started running and then took me back to the home screen and then everything just run mega slow and not functioning, restarted and back to square one, trust me to get one that isn't going to play ball......

Do I need a memory card installed in this phone? I know the tuts tell you not to mount it, just wondering if one is needed for installing and the like?

mint, Rooted! Woot, Woot, I can see that you can un-root it as well, just before I download "clock work mod" what are the benefits of going to a rooted phone, it get's rid of the bloatware that comes with the phone and allows you to install an operating system, you might wonder why I ask, I know the Barclays "pingit" doesn't work on a rooted phone as tried that the other day, which isn't a problem but the last thing I want is some one sending some one or them selves a G or some thing which tells me that when your phone is rooted it's opened up. (Barlcays pingit checks this which is cool of course)

I know I've done it arse over tit and rooted it before thinking about it...you know what I'm like....!

So I'm just wondering for security and the like is it safer staying on the normal firmware? what or if any exploits exist? (I'm just uber paranoid...)

Apart from that, I think all I need to do now is download clockwork mod and then a rom....lol

Cheers.

I dont really know about the security end of it m8 as I just dont worry about it tbh lol,

as for clockwork mod,find the rom you want first and then see which recovery tool it uses to flash the rom with,
with my phone there are two options,one being clockwork mod and the other is xrecovery,and some roms can only be flashed with the corresponding recovery tool :)

Yeah thanks matey, Decisions, decisions, You know I have to ask questions, "there are more questions than answers" ! (can't remember the name of the song now!)

I noticed on the san fran that i had that when in clockwork mod that the roms were specific to that model of the phone, blade they called it I think, I thought that was quite neat, and I'm just wondering if I stick clockwork mod on it and then go to ROMS they'll just be specfic to the samsung..(I hope so!...lol)

Sorry for all the questions like....I know, I know, get on with it i hear some of you cry!

No m8 your getting mixed up between clockwork mod and Rom Manager,

Clockwork mod is a flash/recovery tool,
whereas Rom Manager will give you access to what roms are available for your phone model providing the dev's of the images include that function in their releases,

urm, so Do I put clockwork mod on, and then download a rom, I was thinking of "cyanogenmod" for it? or should i give it a break now and watch a bit of TV? oh, and found a great app that takes a picture of your phone if you shake it, pretty cool. might come in handy if people want to show what there phone is displaying at the time... :cool:

snap20120303_205117.jpg

Last edited:
If you want m8, or you can install rom manger which will prompt you to install clockwork mod and then download a rom from within rom manager, it will then reboot you into clockwork mod and you can flash the rom from there :)

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

Thanks mate, Think I'll have a little break and a cup of coffee before attempting any more....ha! Look what i'm downloading! (I've left a capital D in, dang it!....will change it later...)

snap20120303_211144.jpg

snap20120303_211446.jpg

Last edited:
urm, so Do I put clockwork mod on, and then download a rom, I was thinking of "cyanogenmod" for it? or should i give it a break now and watch a bit of TV? oh, and found a great app that takes a picture of your phone if you shake it, pretty cool. might come in handy if people want to show what there phone is displaying at the time... :cool:

View attachment 64599

What's the shaky app called? Wouldn't mind checking it out myself

OK ignore that. Picture wasn't loading before now it is.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

yeah pretty cool it is, thanks to all that posted and helped me in the thread like, top dollar digitalworld peeps! (I'll flash the ROM a bit laters!)

Thanks again......

where you at now mate, what ya thinking of the phone so far... try installing cwm from rom manager see if it installs it... stock rom is fine if ya want to leave it like that but when i installed darkys rom on my i9000 it increased battery life x2 and made the thing run much smoother and a few extra functions... defo worth chucking a custom rom on... but why not try the stock rom for a few days then you'll appreciate how much difference there is in a custom rom when you get it installed!!!

Thanks mate, Phone? love it, it's brilliant, really, really nice like, Then just went to me mates who had the S2, well he would wouldn't he, so going to have to sell this now and get the S2! ha! na, I'll live with this for a while and wait until the prices come down a little and then I'll upgrade, should be pro then!

Urm, still at the same place, haven't installed CWM yet, been messing on with the phone it's self, it's flipping lovely in fact, so pleased with it like for colour and performance, speed of apps and programs and the like......

Once I get CWM on then I'm nearly there like! It's just been a massive learning curve the last couple of days, so thanks to all you guys, explained well, just a little cautious of reading and reading and seeing lots of warnings and the like, but hey, nothing ventured nothing gained...!

you know what it's like when you start reading about some thing that you've never seen/done before, glad we have DW as well really as the questions i asked above I'd be slayed with an axe on some of the other forums.....

Any way, yeah, when CWM is installed can I get darkys rom from there,?

reason I ask is that it'll probably give me the correct version, less chance of me bricking it, oh and i take it that after I install CWM do a ROM backup and save that to a memory card and then the PC should I ever want to back it back up before flashing any custom roms....

phone 9/10 and that's just coz the little silver case has a chip out if it! lol.....mint they are though!

Cheers man

Last edited:

Ah I see you can get it from blackmart, So after I install clock work mod, I guess I could get it from blackmart......

snap20120303_233215.jpg

Thanks mate, Phone? love it, it's brilliant, really, really nice like, Then just went to me mates who had the S2, well he would wouldn't he, so going to have to sell this now and get the S2! ha! na, I'll live with this for a while and wait until the prices come down a little and then I'll upgrade, should be pro then!

Urm, still at the same place, haven't installed CWM yet, been messing on with the phone it's self, it's flipping lovely in fact, so pleased with it like for colour and performance, speed of apps and programs and the like......

Once I get CWM on then I'm nearly there like! It's just been a massive learning curve the last couple of days, so thanks to all you guys, explained well, just a little cautious of reading and reading and seeing lots of warnings and the like, but hey, nothing ventured nothing gained...!

you know what it's like when you start reading about some thing that you've never seen/done before, glad we have DW as well really as the questions i asked above I'd be slayed with an axe on some of the other forums.....

Any way, yeah, when CWM is installed can I get darkys rom from there,?

reason I ask is that it'll probably give me the correct version, less chance of me bricking it, oh and i take it that after I install CWM do a ROM backup and save that to a memory card and then the PC should I ever want to back it back up before flashing any custom roms....

phone 9/10 and that's just coz the little silver case has a chip out if it! lol.....mint they are though!

Cheers man

And the fun begins...constant flashing roms, upgrading phones etc. I've only had my S2 since end of October but hoping to get the new Xperia S in a few weeks when upgrade due.

Happy days

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Ha, I've done really well and managed to live with an old nokia for years, about 2 years or so on the nokia N97, and then it was holls fault, he's been a bad influence!

Glad you got it rooted! I was going to suggest making sure the adb drivers were installed as that's where I went wrong for hours lol

Check xda first for roms as I found rom manager isn't always upto date and you can get more info on what your about to flash from xda

Back