router problems

sirius5e

Inactive User
Reaction score
While i was updating my belkin n wireless router with the latest software from belkin it hung for ages over an hour so i had to reboot the pc.
It lets the lappy and dreamboxs connect online but the main pc has a weird ip addy and i no longer can connect to routers ip of 192.168.2.1 ?

The desktops ip i have now is 169.252.213.202 !

The back up i made prior to the update is not working for some reason is it a one way upgrade maybe?
Any ideas as to get this main desktop back on line please ?:Dunce::Dunce::Dunce:

so thr laptops still connect ok? are they connected to the correct router not a neighbours?

I'd do a full reset of the router to be sure it's taken correctly. power off, press the reset button (usually with a pin) and keep it pressed, turn back on and wait 30 seconds.

However, bear in mind this might stop the wireless stuff working. OR get the gateway IP from the laptops (this will be the router) and put that into a browser window

Last edited:
also, on the PC's, its worth making sure they're set to DHCP in the network connections screen. Then, drop to a command prompt and type ipconfig /flushdns and ipconfig /release and try a reboot, see if they reconnect.

weird the wireless stuff is ok but the wired arent, normally is the other way around

Thanks for the help m8 , tried the above no result.
The ip of the desktop is this usefull 169.252.213.202 ?

Any more ideas ?

Any ideas as to try next guys?
Like i said the new updated firmware from Belkin caused this and the back up i made before i updated the router does not work so....

should i just try to re flash another firmware or is this router now Donald ducked.?:grayno:

Can you try a hard reset of the router looks like something went wrong with the update.

What does the update documentation say?

failing that i would contact the manufacturer and tell them that their FW update has goosed your router and dont let them fob you off.

I found by swapping the cat5 cables around that i could connect to the router and web, the port that the desktop used to connect to is now goosed.
Is this a rare occurrence or is the flashing of new firmware this dangerous.?

Thanks for the help guys, at least i am back on line all be it with now a 3 port router instead of 4.:thnks:

i would have done the ipconfig /all on the laptop that IS connected. the 169.252.. ip is the default IP issued when it can't get a DHCP response.

Did you hard reset the router as explained ?

You will not beleive it, Belkin knew it blew the routers ports allready . heres there reply to my webchat .

Ruth Esther Peters: Actually the firmware update would cause the LAN ports 2, 3, and 4 not to work.
Ruth Esther Peters: LAN Ports 2, 3 and 4 stop working after firmware update
We have come across a few occasions where LAN ports 2, 3, and 4 would stop to work after a firmware update was applied to the router.

The first occurrences were reported when firmware version 3.01.28 had been left on the update server by mistake, we have also had a few reports of this happening after updating to firmware 3.01.29.

On all occasions that we know of, a hard reset of the router has solved the problem.
Ruth Esther Peters: According to our knowledge base.

un be leivable :Angryfire:

Did you hard reset the router as explained ?

Yes m8 but all i got was the belkin update screen to reflash the firmware.
I reflashed and was back at square 1.
So i hard reset with a paper clip for 60 seconds and powered off the on with the pin reset as in there instructions, but port 2 is still buggered.

Back