Gigabyte port running @ 100Mbps

chookey

I have spoken
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I downloaded something on Newsgroups last week and noticed my speed was low but thought nothing of it. Reading on here how good Queen of the South was I decided to download it. Slow as hell again.
Turned my hub 4 router off and back on but no change. I disabled then re-enabled my ethernet adapter but no difference. I made and tried a different cable from my switch to the pc, no difference. I even ran a long cable direct from my hub to the pc but made no difference so looks like the problem lies at the pc end.

The Connected devices page from my hub shows my pc reporting as being connected at only 100Mbps. I went into the adapters properties and changed the speed and duplex from auto negotiation to 1gig full but again hasn't sorted it.

Things to try tomorrow is swop the switch over to another one I have and if necessary change the cable from the hub to the switch. Anyone think of anything else I can try? Have I missed the obvious?

Hub 4.jpgSamKnows.jpg

Remove the driver properly and download the driver from your motherboard website and install again ? Woth a shot
Was just about to try that Spud 😂
I'll let you know soon enough. I did install an Alfa usb wireless device just over a week ago to do some WPA2 handshake /PMKID captures. I'm starting to think that is perhaps when my woes started.
I have uninstalled that now as I'm using it on a dedicated Kali Linux laptop instead.

Was just about to try that Spud 😂
I'll let you know soon enough. I did install an Alfa usb wireless device just over a week ago to do some WPA2 handshake /PMKID captures. I'm starting to think that is perhaps when my woes started.
I have uninstalled that now as I'm using it on a dedicated Kali Linux laptop instead.
I uninstalled the device and let it reinstall on a reboot but still the same. I stopped short of uninstalling the driver software for now as my driver is newer than the one on the Asus support page.
Looking at the driver's event log I can see the software was reconfigured a month ago so looks like I need to do some more digging.

I'll definitely remove the driver tomorrow though 😃

I had the exact same problem with a new build using an Asus TUF X570-PLus ,i spent more time than i should have trying to troubleshoot the problem , not confirmed but suspect it was a dodgy ethernet adapter ,in the end i upgraded all my pc's to 2.5g nics. A most frustrating time i can tell you , i should have send the mobo back but hey i had already built it and was not for stripping back down

Cracked it!!! 😃

Was the switch. I brought the one from my bedroom in and could instantly see in my hub 4 page that my desktop and living room tv now report as being gigabyte capable devices.
First time I've had a switch fail on me. Nothing in my bedroom is gigabyte capable so I can just leave it as a straight swop for now. Thanks to all who replied.

Faster.jpg

Still losing a lot coming through the switch so I ran an old cable direct from the router to my desktop in the next room and seen a significant increase. I will make a new cable up today or tomorrow and run it through properly. I may see a little more with the cat 6 I have rather than the 5e I've just tried.

Just downloaded 2 episodes from Newshosting and they took seconds. Downloading hit 110mbps before the download finished. Last night it was hitting 9.5. ;)

even faster.jpg

Last edited:
Was a red herring. Turned pc on this morning and back to 100Mbps. It was then obvious the switch wasn't at fault but the cable from the router to the switch must have a dodgy connection. Rectified itself for a while when I moved it to connect to the other switch.
I've redone both ends of the cable and back to gigabyte speeds.

Watch this space!!!! 😂 😂😂

Back