Routers Router Installations by the pro ?

Mick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I am doing a router advanced course in October (2 days), because we install allot of draytek routers.

They normally work out of the box to be fair with a few minor adjustments.

But there is 100's of settings and I thought it might be an idea to actually know what they all do and most importantly how to configure them!

We normally do the following.

Install a DYNDNS service (I have a paid sub with NO-IP - this lets us have unlimited sub-domains from NO-IP).
Install a VPN on the drayteks so I can remotely login to the network if any problems occur
Turn on the Basic Firewall
Turn off all guest Wifi SSIDS etc.
Limit LANS to one.
Install the Wifi with WPA2

Does anyone do anything else that might help the router or increase performance.

I do normally setup a SSIDNAMEHERE 2G and SSIDNAMEHERE 5G

Not sure if it is better to keep both 5G and 2G on the same SSID name or not?

Would love some advice or tips

Regards
Mick

I do normally setup a SSIDNAMEHERE 2G and SSIDNAMEHERE 5G

not much help but virgin super hub have same name but with 5g and 2g added but both have the same password seem to work ok m8, think its easier for users to remember

Why do you use Draytek routers out of interest? I only found out about the manufacturer Draytek when I wanted to implement a SIP phone and of course this seems to be Drayteks specialty. It doen't help performance but does add a great level of functionality and if your users want to avail of SIP phones this is definitely another point to cover? Also the fall over internet can be configured to add onto the standard connection giving greater bandwidth (Dual WAN),

Sorry for the delay guys.
@spongerob we use Draytek because they are rock solid!

However I don't like their Dual Wan load-balance, I prefer to use the failover instead (maybe they have improved the load balance), however the load balance just picks between WAN1 and WAN2 depending on your preferences - it does not use both to increase your up and download speed.

But it does use it if you are using software / websites that multi thread downloads (IE newsleecher, or our very own personal webspace).

However its Access point integration, which allows you to setup the access points directly in the admin page of the Draytek router is brilliant.
Its so simple you just click upload and it sends the details to the access point without the need to independently configure each access point.

Also Secure VPN's is my favourite part of the Draytek router, I can monitor any draytek and network I have setup directly from my laptop or PC.

Lan to Lan is rock solid too, this uses a VPN connection to join two sites, but it allows each site to use their own internet - unlike a normal VPN where all traffic would route via the VPN you are on. this just connects them to allow things like windows servers to manage. or even a simple share of files. its quite advanced whenever you are using VPN's you can never be on the same sub net.

Also once you get familiar (it takes a while), the port custom rules and QOS is brilliant!

I have only ever setup one VIGORBX (router / PBX combo), and to be honest - my Panasonic NCP500 leaves this for dead!

But for £400 you get a brilliant router with an OK, PBX - cant really grumble for what you get.

Mick

Last edited:
Back