Routers Home VPN - Which Router

At my office we have the Linksys WRT1900AC and it was just awful... kept hanging up (of course, the heat inside the server cabinet did not help).

I've just flashed it with the latest release of DD-WRT and it really came back to life... you can even adjust the fan to stay on at all times so it does not overheat.

Get and old box... get two ethenet NIC's and install pfsense...

Any info on the speeds your getting and the spec of the PC you used, i want to keep it as small as possible .

Any limitations a standard router wouldnt have ?

to be honest not tested the speed, as for spec its a HP Desktop with 1.8Ghz Core2Duo CPU with 80 GB HDD and 4 GB RAM with 2 1Gb network cards

to be honest not tested the speed, as for spec its a HP Desktop with 1.8Ghz Core2Duo CPU with 80 GB HDD and 4 GB RAM with 2 1Gb network cards

Cheers sound about the spec of bits and bobs i have lying around here.

Could you maybe test the speeds out for me ?

Cheers sound about the spec of bits and bobs i have lying around here.

Could you maybe test the speeds out for me ?

That's the beauty of pfsense you can run it on an old desktop - think a 1GHz CPU with 1GB RAM can easily run pfsense. Obviously once you add more packages to it then you need a more power box - I run following packages on mine

VPN
IDPS(Snort)
Squid Proxy
SquidGuard - Content Filtering
AV Scanning

Will do some tests over weekend

That's the beauty of pfsense you can run it on an old desktop - think a 1GHz CPU with 1GB RAM can easily run pfsense. Obviously once you add more packages to it then you need a more power box - I run following packages on mine

VPN
IDPS(Snort)
Squid Proxy
SquidGuard - Content Filtering
AV Scanning

Will do some tests over weekend

Appreciate it.

I read somewhere today that if you configure the VPN on the router it runs slower then if you configure the VPN on a pc. Has anyone experienced that or is this something because there is a configuration issue on the router?

I read somewhere today that if you configure the VPN on the router it runs slower then if you configure the VPN on a pc. Has anyone experienced that or is this something because there is a configuration issue on the router?

what you say is valid, with VPN as packets come in or go out they need to be encrypted or decrypted which required CPU, depending on the encryption used it could take time to process these packets. The more dedicated VPN appliance boxs and I mean ones that corporate level where as thousands of connections are made have dedicated hardware just the encryption decryption of packets

to go back to your original question, yes a router could slow it down if the CPU is slower say compared to a desktop with a i3 CPU

@jfish Thank you for the information. I was looking at the ASUS RT-AC87U router which has a VPN server and VPN client capability. I have a VM 70mb download package what sort of loss could I expect or is this one of those install and see situations?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back