router and cloned modem

Moorie

Inactive User
Reaction score
hey people,

finally got my cloned modem working but now im wanting to use it on my network. I have one computer (wired) and another thats wireless.

I can connect my subbed modem and it works no problems. i then connect my cloned modem and i just dont get anywhere with it, even though it works fine as a direct connection.

What i did then was to go to the routers internal page and change the router mac (changed 2 end numbers) but still it made no difference..? do i change it to pc's mac? i also been reading up and hear you need to change the NIC and im guessing thats with smac? as you can tell im a little confused on how to actually set this up correctly lol

any help appreciated

swapping the modems should work straight away m8 if not i would just give the router a reset whenever you swap them

smac will change your pc nic mac addys and its a good option to follow but should not make any diff to you .

just tried resetting and it seems to have made no difference its a 3com router. no websites load what so ever. this is why i thought router mac had to be changed or spoofed to get it to work?

so it cloned modem works fine when you connect pc direct to it but when router goes on to it. nothing? have you tried turning both modem and router off and power both back on connected?

yup tried that straight after. funny enough i had a cloned one before that didnt last long, that also displayed the same problems as this when connected the the router... could the router mac and cable mac be tied together somehow? its quite annoying switching cm's lol

just tried it a few more times and totally nothing :(

had a look on the router internal page with subbed cm in and all settings appear...but with the cloned cm some settings dont appear on the router e.g

internet IP address
subnet mask
ISP gateway address
DNS

guess thats the problem but i have no idea what to do now lol

so wouldnt spoofing the router/nic mac do it? cos a lot of posts i read have something about spoofing when using a cloned modem and router...?

as it looks at the minute it seems as though my subbed modem is married to the router so that i cannot use another but thats just me guessing thats why i believed it needed spoofing to release the ip connection and allow the establishment of another modem i.e cloned cm.

or am i talking out my arse? lol

Maybe a bit late but check in the router pages to see how many clients are leased on dhcp (if used) it could be set to say two and both of these clients have leases,i had it with my linksys changed the dchp client level up by 1 and it were fine,

Marc

Connecting a modem to any new device generally requires for the modem to be powered down for it to acquire the new mac address on power on.
As for the Router it should determine the ip address from the modem automatically.
What i'd do is try to connect to your router first. Browse the setup pages.(this confirms that you have no issues between your pc and the router.)

Next connect your modem to the router. If you sit on the status page of the router and keep clicking refresh you should see the wan ip address first go to 192.168.100.10 or 11 and then go to the external ip address that your modem holds.
If this doesnt happen you kno that you have issues with your connection between your modem and router or your modem and the net
try to connect to the modem setup page of 192.168.100.1 if this does not work then i would first check the lan cable and then i would check the configuration of the router to confirm it is set to dhcp (Also may be an idea to stick the modem back on the pc to confirm its on dhcp also.)
After checkin the routers configuration for wan and if ther dont appear to be any issues in here then i cant see where you would have a problem.
run through these steps first
can you access the router setup pages
can you access the modem setup pages
can you access google.

Back