Replacing gas fire with wood/log burner

Enticy

Member ++
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am thinking of changing our small gas fire with a log burner in our lounge. I was wondering if anyone knows if this can be done.

We have a small gas fire in front of a fire box to which is attached a flue which rises up thorugh our house and through the roof.

We have no chimney whatsoever as our house is relatively modern and the flue is boxed in in the lounge and in the main bedroom.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Enticy

Think you could mate, but from what ive heard from family that have wood burning ones the flu has to be the right type... diff temps etc. and chimneys (you not got one so dont matter) have to be lined normally.

Id look into the flue material mate.

Hiya mate, from what your describing you,ve got what we call a class 2 flue which is twin wall pipe with a metal flue box and is only suitable for gas appliances so would have to say a no to your question.

What you would need is a class 1 flue which is usually the old brick type chimney or the newer cast flue blocks with clay chimmney tops which would be major bucks to do.

Reason being a lot more debris and soot from coal/log fires compared to gas fires and also as stated higher temps

Geronimoe

thanks for the advice guys - i thought that might be the case, but what we do to please the wife lol

changing from a gas fire to log burning is not usually as straight forward as buying a log burner and throwing in some logs.
i'm no expert but i have a little knowledge in pointing you in the right direction for someone to answer all your technical questions.
with you having an existing flue system in place they might recommend that you use a stainless steel flue lining system but check out the following site for all relevant answers.
hope this helps

Schiedel Rite-Vent: Stainless Steel Flue and Chimney Systems: Home

i dont think they sell to the general public but if anything they have is suitable then it will be available from any good builders merchant. just get more than one quote.

again, hope this helps

With rising gas prices I thought about doing this too. We have a gas live fire in the living room just now. I know it is a brick chimney so should be ok. Is it a big job to do. I'm not sure of the state of the fireplace behind the gas fire.
:drink:

As has been said, its all about the flue.

Most people run a flue up standard old chimneys.

I'm looking at it myself.

Nowt better than a good roaring real fire.

I have been thinking about this myself as well.

Wood is cheaper, and there is tonnes of it around. I am tempted to just knock a hole in the roof and start a small pit fire, cheaper than gas...

Lol, I reckon he would at that!!

I was speaking to him about a wood burner, and he couldnt see anything wrong with it as long as I pay for it all.

Back