Replacement fan for Technomate 5402 HD

linslademan

Inactive User
Reaction score
Can anyone please advise the size and where I can buy a replacement for this machine as it has become extremely noisy. My receiver is out of warranty so don't really want to send back to Technomate just to replace a fan.
I have changed pc fans in the past so I presume its a similar scenario.
I know you can turn fan off in the menu but I want the ability to turn on/off as required,especially in the summer months.

I am in a similar situation as I would like a new fan for my "forgotten receiver", a TM-8000 HD Combo. The internal fan is quite noisy and has no adjustment.

One possible option would be to look for a small fan of the type that is fitted into HTPC's where silence is part of the build principle due to the HTPC generally being located close to a TV. The other option would be to place some type in inline impedance to lower the voltage to the fan slightly making it spin slower. I have done this with fans in normal PC's and it works OK.

If anyone has any other suggestions re make and model of any specific fans then please pass on the details.

Thx

I would assume the first thing to do is take the lid off and locate the Fan and see how easy it is to remove, Then take the dimensions and see if you can get hold of a similar size and voltage in one of the many PC silent designs

Hi digi247,
Thanks for advice, I'll do that.
I assumed since it seems to be a common issue that one of the more experienced Technomate members on this forum would know size and voltage without me having to open up receiver.

I would assume the first thing to do is take the lid off and locate the Fan and see how easy it is to remove, Then take the dimensions and see if you can get hold of a similar size and voltage in one of the many PC silent designs

digi247,

I have removed the lid from the TM-8000 HD Combo and can confirm that it is a 58mm fan with a two pin connector block. The cable coming from the fan has a small connector that links to another cable coming from the circuit board. The fan does not plug directly onto the board but connects to a cable that comes from the board.

I assume any 58mm fan with a 2 pin connector will do the job provided it is silent?

Rgds

I cured my noisy fan about a year ago with a tiny drop of sewing machine oil. It's still ok

Following on from my earlier post, the fan is probably classed as a 60mm fan and silent options seem to be:

1. Acousti Dustproof 60mm fan
2. Noctua NF-A6X25 FLX 60mm fan
3. Scythe Mini Kaze 60mm fan

I know of these manufacturers from PC stuff and they are good. Any of the above would be a suitable replacement if the fan is 60mm and they would be a lot quieter than the standard cheapy fan shipped with the receiver.

Rgds

Following on from my earlier post, the fan is probably classed as a 60mm fan and silent options seem to be:

1. Acousti Dustproof 60mm fan
2. Noctua NF-A6X25 FLX 60mm fan
3. Scythe Mini Kaze 60mm fan

I know of these manufacturers from PC stuff and they are good. Any of the above would be a suitable replacement if the fan is 60mm and they would be a lot quieter than the standard cheapy fan shipped with the receiver.

Rgds[/QUOTE

Many thanks for your time and effort!

That fan has a starting voltage requirement of 9v. If the TM board is not able to provide 9v then that fan is bitched. The original fan inside my TM-8000 HD Combo is a 5v fan so I am not sure if the board will provide enough juice to spin the fan. The Acousti fan will definitely operate at 5v, not sure about the Noctua.

It might be best to determine what voltage the board can deliver to the fan before splogging out some hard earned on something that could be bitched? The other point to consider is the clearance required inside the case if changing to an aftermarket fan, not all of them will fit depending on the location of the fan and whats on the board inside the case.

I am sure if you contact Richard at TM he will sort something out.

I would not give much hope to Technomate providing a better replacement fan than was fitted originally which was a noisy cheap fan.

I am still waiting for Technomate to provide a channel settings editor for the stupid channel file format that they configured in the TM-8000 HD Combo. I have only been waiting 3 years for that so I prefer not to wait for an option for a replacement fan from them.

I have TM5402/1500/6800/5302/5400 and all work as they are meant to.

The TM-8000 HD Combo I have works as it is intended to, however, it does have negative points as well as plus points.

On the plus side, it has hardware blind scan which rapidly scans a satellite compared to the pedestrian software blind scan that TM bunged in some receivers. On the negative side it was designed to use a stupid file format for channel settings and has a noisy fan.

Considering I only paid £65 for it on eBay I aint bitched if it goes bolloxed tomorrow.

Not sure we can really blame TM for the fan design seeing as they like most other companys just put there design in to the manufacturers in Korea and have the receiver made, its probably the same crap fan thats in the Blade as well and the Clarke-Tech and a few others that originate from the same factory LOL.

I used to have one a couple of years ago and that ran well with the fan switched off although i did have it in a well ventilated area.

Back