Refused to collect skip

badaman

Inactive User
Reaction score
Guys need some advice, we hired a skip last week finished with it the same day (hard work it was!)
I rang the skip hire people to come and collect they never showed...rang the next day they promised to collect it but again they never showed...finally when they did come they refused to take it saying its over filled:Kickassro
My mrs rang to tell me this as I was @ work, the company then rings my landline number and speaks to my mrs not in a polite professional manner but abruptly saying the skips over filled and what you goming to do about it..I was furious when the mrs told me so that eveing I rang the skip hire company and got into a argument:Devil: niice;-)
I still have the feckin skip and I really can't see a problem with it @ all, to top it all of I had already paid for the skip on the day it was dropped off........anyone else had any experiences of can offer any advise...

-Badaman

I used to work doing skips m8 and they are supposed to be filled level with nothing protruding above the skip level but the mob i worked for never enforced it, basically it was down to the driver (his licence) but most our work was construction so you just got the jcb driver to smash the top to make it level.

Don't know what the legal limits are thou

Hi

You could try arguing that cos they didnt pick it up other people have been filling it up and its their fault for ot collecting it when asked unless its in your drive or garden etc.

They`l come and pick it up sooner or later cos they need it for other customers I would think, the longer they leave it they lose money.

Ive had skips not picked up on time then overfilled by others then refused to be picked up so I said ok then let it stay there and also I said I know someone in the trade I`l ask him to take it if you dont want it.......they picked it up the next day.

Regards

report them to the local council mate, they will have a field day with it. :)

they have to pay a permit to have it on the road, they even have to get a permit to have it on your drive if its council... not sure on private.

I'd take explosivo's advice.
If it gets out of hand it will just end up costing you money, they will be in their right to refuse, you will be in the wrong for breaking the contract conditions -suppled with your receipt when paid. Council wont be interested either, unless rubbish ends up in a public place (if its your rubbish you will be the one in trouble).
What the skip firm may also do is come round to collect, then lower their arm down to the skip level, then drive backwards to push off anything that sticks above the metal. Then they will remove the skip and report YOU to the council for tipping if its on the road.
If you have anything whatsoever above the height of the skip then take the easier route and remove it m8.

Last edited:
Something else to think about is that they wont be losing money while it sits there. Currently the construction trade is quiet, the credit crunch means that waste disposal isnt that busy. The longer it stays just means the longer they keep the money they've been paid, with no need to pay out for the cost of disposal into land-fill or transfer-station (depending on their methods). Honestly thats the reason why skip firms arent in any rush to collect the skips or bins currently, they just have to pay out quicker and may as well leave them sitting for as long as poss.

Last edited:
Your skip may be over filled but not over weight. You'll have to take a guess about the weight in the skip but if you filled it with wood, plasterboard and furniture etc they should really take the skip away.

What size skip did you get and what did you fill it up with? If its all soil and concrete then the skip company have a right to refuse as they pay by the tonnage when they dump the skip.

post a pic mate, can be rude feckers at times them skip boys

If the skip is on the roadside they must comply with your councils regulations.

Typical:

Highways Act 1980 - Section 139

Regulations Relating to the Depositing of a Builder's Skip on a Highway

The xxxxxxxx Metropolitan Borough Council in exercise of their powers, under Section 139 of the Highways Act 1980 HEREBY GRANT you leave to apply for permission to deposit a builder’s skip on a highway within its boundaries, subject to the provision that application is made and permission is granted through the Central Register procedure as detailed in the attached letter and subject to the conditions contained in the Schedule hereto.
Schedule

1. Each skip shall be clearly and indelibly marked with the owner’s name and with their telephone number.

2. Each skip shall be deposited on the carriageway only, unless authorised by an Officer of the Council to be placed elsewhere, and shall be positioned so that its longer sides are parallel to the edge of the carriageway and as near to the edge of the carriageway as is reasonably practicable, and so that it does not impede the surface water drainage of the highway nor obstruct access to any manhole or the apparatus of any statutory undertaker or the Tameside Metropolitan Borough Council.

3. Where a maximum of two skips is on the highway at any one time, the skips shall be positioned as closely as possible to each other, but not so as to obstruct access to any premises unless the consent of the occupier of those premises has been obtained.

4. Each skip shall not exceed 5 metres in length by 2 metres in width.

5. Each skip or group of skips shall while on the highway be marked, guarded and lit in accordance with the following requirements:

(a) Each skip shall be guarded by at least three traffic cones placed on the carriageway in an oblique line on the approach side of the skip. Where two or more skips are deposited in a row, so that the distance between adjacent skips does not exceed 2 metres, the row shall be guarded as if it were one skip.

(b) At night (that is to say between half-an-hour after sunset and half -an-hour before sunrise). A road danger lamp shall be placed against or attached to each corner of the skip or the end corners of the row of skips where two or more skips are deposited in a row and the distance between adjacent skips does not exceed 2 metres, and shall also be placed between each cone and the next.

(c) The ends of each skip, that is to say the sides of the skip facing traffic in both directions, shall be painted yellow and shall be fitted with vertical red and yellow fluorescent reflective markings on each end. The markings must comply with British Standard BS AU152:1970 and must be marked with that number. The markings shall be fitted as near as the construction of the skip allows to the top outer corners of the ends of the skip, subject to an overriding maximum height of 1.5m above the ground for the top of the marking.

The markings must not be fitted to any lid and should only be fitted to a door where there is no alternative location on the end of the skip. Where a marking is fitted to a door, the door should be kept closed, unless loading is actually taking place.

The painting and markings shall at all times be kept clean.

6. No skip when standing in the highway, shall contain any inflammable, explosive, noxious or dangerous material or any material which is likely to putrefy or which otherwise is, or is likely to become a nuisance to users of the highway.

7. No skip shall be used in such a way that any of its contents fall on to the highway, or that there is an escape of dust from the contents of the skip when standing in the highway.

8. Each skip shall be removed for emptying as soon as practicable and in any case not later than two working days after it has been filled.

9. No skip shall be on the highway outside the period of permission specified in the Central Register.

10. All materials placed in each skip shall be properly disposed of and the highway where the skip or skips have been deposited shall be left in a clean and tidy condition on the expiration of this permission.

11. No skip shall be positioned less than 15m from a junction unless authorised by an Officer of the Council.

12. The xxxxxxxx Metropolitan Borough Council reserves the right to specify any other relevant conditions relating to the placement of a skip which will form part of these Regulations.

13. At the time of application to deposit a skip(s) on the highway the questions as detailed in Figure 2 must be answered in every respect.

14. The company as a condition of the issue of this permit must indemnify and insure and keep insured the Council in respect of any claims made in respect of the depositing of skips in the highway.

15. Not withstanding any evidence of agreement to the contrary, the contractor undertakes that they shall not attempt to assign, sub-let or under-let or otherwise dispose of ownership or title of any skips licensed by the Council unless specifically authorised to do so by the Council in writing.

Last edited:
If its on private land (driveway). Contact local environment agency, and see what they say!

quite simple, if they wont pick it up, get a different company to pick it up, theyll gladly do it, especially a newish firm,

take you crap out then fill it level with concrete, then they have to take it away, would fun to watch them try

:)

Still got the fekin skip, it's not on the road but round the back of me garage which is private land as I didn't require a permit for this.
Really annoying now.....anyhow I'll try to get a few picts up in the evening.

As the skip is on your land, you have every right to charge them daily for it being on your property.
I did this a few years back over a cooker i got from currys, long story short they were messing us about on when they wanted to pick it up. So my cousin told me about this idea. Rang them up also put it in writing that i would start to charge them for me Storing the item on my property at a rate of £15 a day, they soon got there arse round and picked it up.

Still got the fekin skip, it's not on the road but round the back of me garage which is private land as I didn't require a permit for this.
Really annoying now.....anyhow I'll try to get a few picts up in the evening.

Mate that skip is your responsibility. When you agreed to have it at your place you were bound by any terms from the skip company.

Give the guy a drink and he'll take it away, that's what everyone does. If your skip is way overloaded then you will have to take the rubbish out. I'd burn all the wood and just leave rubble and soil.

The fact is that skip companies don't to move the skip if it is above level load regardless of the weight or whatever rights you may think you have.

Be very careful with these boys mate, the guy across the road from me got into an argument with the driver over his skip being to full. "**** you then" i heard the driver shout "ill take the bleedin skip". Well if i hadn't seen it with my own eyes i might never have believed it. The driver hooks just 2 of the chains on the front of the skip and lifted the fucker up tipping all the shite out right onto the blokes drive. Then he lowers it hooks the other 2 chains loads the skip on back and drives off. Guy across the road was stood with his chin on the floor for ages in fact I think he might still be there lol.
Like i said be careful you dont wanna handball all that shite twice get it level or you could try and buy driver a drinkie poos.

Last edited:
...and thats exactly what i'm saying too mrplumb. I know other people think they are doing you a favour posting that you could try this or try that, but honestly its bad advice.
Weight isn't relevant, how much it costs them to dispose, council or environment agency involvement, paying someone else, or 'charging rent as on your land' is just poor advice from people that dont have experience imho. No offence guys but these guesses arent good advice. Theres a couple of decent replies in this thread that have been made to be helpful badaman, but i'm not sure you believe them?

In my opinion, you should get on the phone and get them round to get it sorted in a mutual agreement asap or you will be the loser badaman, I guarantee. You will either end up having to pay for longer rental of the skip, or end up with them emptying it and taking it away, or both.
Read your terms & conditions that you signed when they delivered, if that skip is loaded above the height of the side then you are responsible and they will be in no rush to put things right because it is only you that will lose money. If you are nice about it and height is not taking the pee then a cash back-hander may be the answer as others have said.
After 1 week they are perfectly in their right to remove their skip. If that involves tipping the rubbish back out to remove it then they will do!! -with the backing of the police too. The police will not MAKE the driver take ANY rubbish and will advise you that you need to seek legal advice as its a civil matter.

After 1 week they are perfectly in their right to remove their skip. If that involves tipping the rubbish back out to remove it then they will do!! -with the backing of the police too. The police will not MAKE the driver take ANY rubbish and will advise you that you need to seek legal advice as its a civil matter.

You sure mate, being hes already paid for the skip service. surely if they tip the load they have then broken the contract ?

Yes m8. He has paid for hire of skip for up to 1 week, with agreed disposal of waste to a level no higher than the side. If that week expires and the level is not as agreed, either skip too full or too empty (not finished the job) then he has to either pay rental again (may be reduced), or agree new terms, (or reduce level) or the skip firm are fully entitled to remove their unit because you have not kept to the contract. They are not responsible for removal of the waste if you are outside of the original terms ~ie you have not kept to the contract. (obviously they would take if its half empty so thats not relevant, and most firms will extend time for free if you needed a week longer -thats goodwill and not compulsory)
You have the option to refuse them entry to your property and then the police can then send the driver away, but this is why i'm trying to give some advice on this because others here are trying to persuad things to go in this direction.... i 100% guarantee badaman will regret it if he refuses to allow the skip to be taken.
Just trying to help here, the original post asked for advice so i'm giving it, but its no problem to me whatever badaman chooses. :)
Regards.

Last edited:
Back