Recording path on VIX

wizbit77

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all,
Have the VIX image running. Haven't got round to installing a HDD yet so just stuck in a flash disk. The question is how do you change the default location for the recording path?
I have the Flash mounted and have gone in to the record path section in the set up but I just can't seem to change it.
Any help or suggestions appreciated.
Cheers
Wizbit77

taken from another forum, credit to Sicillian:
I've started to see posts with members having problems using their external USB hard drives, so thought I'd put to the test a post a quick guide.

For the purpose of this I'm using a portable 2.5" USB HDD with its own power supply. The HDD is a Hitachi 250GB SATA. It's very important that the external HDD has its own electric power supply.

Guide below: -

1. Connect to a windows PC. Go to control panel > Administrive Tools > Copumter Management > Storage > Disk Managment > Select you USB HDD, right click on it and select 'Delete Volume'. Make sure that its your USB HDD that your deleting!

2. Connect to Solo, power up the HDD then reboot your Solo.

3. Once rebooted press Menu on your remote > Setup > System > Harddisk > Initialization > Click ok on the selected HDD

attachment.php

4. On the next screem press Red Button to initialize and wait for it to complete.

attachment.php

5. Go to your PC, open a command promt and telnet to your Solo. As follows: -

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Code:

Code:

6. Now create a folder in /media/usb for recording. We'll call it movie.

Code:

7. Close the command prompt and go back to your Solo.

8. Press Menu > Setup > System > Recording paths > Highlight Defualt movie location, see below: -

attachment.php

9. Press ok, then you come to a select location screen. You will see the default at the bottom is /hdd/movie. We need to change this. Press menu on your remote and select 'switch to filelist'. Now navigate to /media/usb/movie, do not click ok on movie, just highlight it and press Green button to save the location. You now have something like this: -

attachment.php

10. Do the same for Timeshift location, but just choose /media/usb

Thats it done :D

Enjoy your recording with your shiney new baby VU+ Solo :)

If using windows 7 telnet is not enabled by default.
Start > control panel > programs > programs and features > turn windows features on or off > check telnet box.
Wizbit77

Last edited:
at stage three, i couldn't find the harddisk section of the setup.
I am trying to use a flash disk but it sounds like it is the same setup .
Cheers
for any help
Wiz

I have the Flash mounted and have gone in to the record path section in the set up but I just can't seem to change it.
Any help or suggestions appreciated.
at stage three, i couldn't find the harddisk section of the setup.
I am trying to use a flash disk but it sounds like it is the same setup .

for any help
Wiz

--- U won't change it, if it is formated with FAT 32
U HAVE to use LINUX file system ext3 instead

Last edited:
Formatted to fat32 using the computer and then stuck in the vu+, it recognised it and i formatted it on the vu to ext3. Linux.
I telenetted in and created the movie directory. But I still can't see the hdd option on the system menu. and can't change the default location from hdd/movie in the recording paths section.
Any ideas most appreciated.
Cheers
Wizbit77

Some usb hdd,s dont work on the VU .
What make is your's and i'll check it for you ?

It is just a budget texet 4gb flash disk.
It is recognised in the devices manager, it is just not mounting it.
Was under the impression I would be able to use this for timeshifting and small amount of recording space.
Know it's a bit half arsed but i have got all of my boxes organised now and to get the VU+ out and put the hdd in and then get it back would take best part of a day and I just don't have the time at the mo. Plus the wife would whinge her head off.
Any recommendations on freestanding HDD or networked HDD.....
Wizbit77

I've got a Linkstation Live 1tb network attached external hard drive connected to mine, I originally used it for recording but found it has issues with the HD channels due to the sheer amount of network bandwidth the raw uncompressed HD was consuming. I now have an internal HDD while using the Linkstation's built in Bittorrent client to download MKVs which play beautifully across the network on the VU+.

So yes if you are going for an external option I'd rule out network and only possibly look at eSata - but really for about 50 quid you could just stick a 3.5inch internal 1gb in there which is cheaper, doesn't take an external power supply and is neater in your home.

In that case I will go for the internal option and think I will just wait till I am moving. (only a month away) and then I can do it without the wife going mental.
Cheers for all help, as always
Wizbit77

Formatted to fat32 using the computer and then stuck in the vu+, it recognised it and i formatted it on the vu to ext3. Linux.
I telenetted in and created the movie directory. But I still can't see the hdd option on the system menu. and can't change the default location from hdd/movie in the recording paths section.
Any ideas most appreciated.
Cheers
Wizbit77
You need to press the menu button while u are in the recording paths options to change to the file list to add additional bookmarks

Back