Receiver choice advice

On my UE

I use 3 images

OpenATV is always my go to. ICAM Setup
TeamBlue BISS Setup
OpenPLI Motorised Setup

I use these because they are less cluttered with plugins and system aps i don't need.

OpenVix would be a decent choice for Freesat though.

Thanks for that ferret, I've still got to have a look at these images. From what I can understand they seem to be a bit like the Linux options that can be used on a computer or even an Android phone.

Enigma2 boxes are Linux and all the flavours use the same core (some update the core sooner than others). Then it's what comes pre installed and what's available in the plugins (repos).

They are Linux based and are a operating system for the box. There are different groups going by different names.

The best image will be the one that suits your needs are the most.

Dont follow sheep try them all and use the one that suits your needs the closest.

Yeah, running through them all is exactly what I shall do. I've installed LineageOS on a couple of phones I've had and that's based on
Android. There's quite a few variations of that and is open source which sounds similar to Openvix and the the others.
From what I've read and what you guys have told me I think there's more consistency in the receiver world, when it comes to updating these images, than there is with phones.

After much Google searching and advice from forum members I have more or less decided on the Gigablue UHD UE 4K. Given my limited knowledge it appears to be good value for money, will allow me to make several recordings at the same time, supports internal HD, I think, and appears to be able to run with different images although I shall be getting accustomed to Openvix initially.
The recommended LNB is the Unicable 2. I have found at least two of these, one with a single output and another with a single and two universal outputs. I'm looking at the single but do I connect to tuner A or B or does it matter.
Have a great weekend all and look forward to comments and views.

Thanks Abu that will be one less problem to worry about when it comes to setting up.

I have been exploring the forum a little further and found an area dedicated to Bootloaders. I understand what one is on a phone but can someone enlighten me as to its purpose on a receiver and why does it need to be download when I would have thought it was part of the receiver software system.

You only have to flash the bootloader when the manufacturer issues a new one. There has not been an update for a long time for the Gigablue so, your one will have latest.

Possible reasons for bootloader changes is partition changes, filename changes.

I have been exploring the forum a little further and found an area dedicated to Bootloaders. I understand what one is on a phone but can someone enlighten me as to its purpose on a receiver and why does it need to be download when I would have thought it was part of the receiver software system.
Think of it like the BIOS of a PC basic operating sytstem.

Hi everybody, I'm looking at the Gigablue UHD UE 4K. I know it requires a 2.5" HDD or SDD but can anybody let me know what thickness 9.5mm or 7mm or will it take either.
Thanks in advance

Obliged Ferret, that makes life a bit easier. I'm fortunate that I have a local company that does mainly PC and laptop repairs and some great deals on second hand gear. Should be able to get something from them once I get my Gigablue up and running.

Back