Receiver choice advice

On my UE

I use 3 images

OpenATV is always my go to. ICAM Setup
TeamBlue BISS Setup
OpenPLI Motorised Setup

I use these because they are less cluttered with plugins and system aps i don't need.

OpenVix would be a decent choice for Freesat though.

Thanks for that ferret, I've still got to have a look at these images. From what I can understand they seem to be a bit like the Linux options that can be used on a computer or even an Android phone.

Enigma2 boxes are Linux and all the flavours use the same core (some update the core sooner than others). Then it's what comes pre installed and what's available in the plugins (repos).

They are Linux based and are a operating system for the box. There are different groups going by different names.

The best image will be the one that suits your needs are the most.

Dont follow sheep try them all and use the one that suits your needs the closest.

Yeah, running through them all is exactly what I shall do. I've installed LineageOS on a couple of phones I've had and that's based on
Android. There's quite a few variations of that and is open source which sounds similar to Openvix and the the others.
From what I've read and what you guys have told me I think there's more consistency in the receiver world, when it comes to updating these images, than there is with phones.

After much Google searching and advice from forum members I have more or less decided on the Gigablue UHD UE 4K. Given my limited knowledge it appears to be good value for money, will allow me to make several recordings at the same time, supports internal HD, I think, and appears to be able to run with different images although I shall be getting accustomed to Openvix initially.
The recommended LNB is the Unicable 2. I have found at least two of these, one with a single output and another with a single and two universal outputs. I'm looking at the single but do I connect to tuner A or B or does it matter.
Have a great weekend all and look forward to comments and views.

Thanks Abu that will be one less problem to worry about when it comes to setting up.

I have been exploring the forum a little further and found an area dedicated to Bootloaders. I understand what one is on a phone but can someone enlighten me as to its purpose on a receiver and why does it need to be download when I would have thought it was part of the receiver software system.

You only have to flash the bootloader when the manufacturer issues a new one. There has not been an update for a long time for the Gigablue so, your one will have latest.

Possible reasons for bootloader changes is partition changes, filename changes.

I have been exploring the forum a little further and found an area dedicated to Bootloaders. I understand what one is on a phone but can someone enlighten me as to its purpose on a receiver and why does it need to be download when I would have thought it was part of the receiver software system.
Think of it like the BIOS of a PC basic operating sytstem.

Hi everybody, I'm looking at the Gigablue UHD UE 4K. I know it requires a 2.5" HDD or SDD but can anybody let me know what thickness 9.5mm or 7mm or will it take either.
Thanks in advance

Obliged Ferret, that makes life a bit easier. I'm fortunate that I have a local company that does mainly PC and laptop repairs and some great deals on second hand gear. Should be able to get something from them once I get my Gigablue up and running.

Having spent many hours of online reading and and much advise from members of this forum I have decided to purchase the Gigablue UHD UE 4K that should arrive tomorrow May 8th. My Sky contract runs out on the 17th and because my Sky Q box is still full of recordings the opportunity to have a play probably won't start until then. Once setup gets under way I shall keep the forum up to date with my successes and probably failures.
In the meantime I'm still trying to have a better understanding of tuners and transponders. I'm probably getting this completely wrong but hopefully the more experienced members of this forum will enlighten me. From what I've been reading my understanding is each tuner has two transponders and each transponder can carry 10 to 15 channels. If I'm reading this correctly a twin tuner receiver should only be able to receive about 60 channels. Look forward to comments.

The gigablue seems alot of receiver if it's going to be used just for freesat. The receiver can do so much more if it had access to more that one satellite. That's unless you like watching premium channels in sd only.

Having spent many hours of online reading and and much advise from members of this forum I have decided to purchase the Gigablue UHD UE 4K that should arrive tomorrow May 8th. My Sky contract runs out on the 17th and because my Sky Q box is still full of recordings the opportunity to have a play probably won't start until then. Once setup gets under way I shall keep the forum up to date with my successes and probably failures.
In the meantime I'm still trying to have a better understanding of tuners and transponders. I'm probably getting this completely wrong but hopefully the more experienced members of this forum will enlighten me. From what I've been reading my understanding is each tuner has two transponders and each transponder can carry 10 to 15 channels. If I'm reading this correctly a twin tuner receiver should only be able to receive about 60 channels. Look forward to comments.
No it does not work like that. Normally each standard tuner can record multiple channels from 1 transponder.

Sat Transponders are in in High / Low and left and right so 4 quarters. Using a universal LNB with FBC tuners each tuners can record from 1/4 of the total, so with 2 tuners attached you can record 1/2 the channels. with Unicable you can record all.

the issue with that is the speed of the the processor hard drive etc, but people have done over 30 channels at a time from all 4 quarters

Appreciate your comment kegnkiwi. I understand what your saying but like so many things we purchase it's a case of pros and cons. I'm still very new to the world or satellite receivers. I have dumped Sky and been left with a dish. Reception with an aerial, in my area is poor. and so the obvious choice seemed to go with Freesat. Initially I considered the dedicated Freesat or Humax boxes. Humax don't do a 4K device and Freesat boxes, which apparently are Aris, get poor reviews. In my younger days I remember a couple of my wealthier friends having satellite dishes and on further investigation found there is still a considerable market in the world of satellite Tv. I wanted a receiver that was not only 4K but also capable of recording several channels at once. There are quite a few devices that are 4K but with standard tuners there didn't seem to be much option for multi channel recording with out switches and other devices. The main option was to go with FBC tuners and a Unicable ii LNB. The VU+ devices are expensive and the Gigablue came in at a similar budget to a Freesat box.
As we purchase computers, cameras, phones, Tv's etc: we are more likely to regret purchasing the under featured device than an item that is over featured and phones are a great example of this. My son in law has a £1400 Samsung phone that does little more than my £200 Xiaomi. In two years time his phone will be old technology, in ten years time my Gigablue will probably still be going strong.
Earlier on in this forum I pointed out other interests I have include computers and phones. Computers I started building back in the eighties and, more recently, I have been installing alternative Android software on phones. Both these devices create challenges similar to those I am now embarking on with satellite receivers but with online articles and help from members of this forum its a new venture I am looking forward.
Since starting on this learning curve I've noticed there is another satellite Astra 19.2 and so down the line may get the twin LNB adapter and have a play with that but I'll worry about that later and get the Gigablue up and running first.
The other good news about going the receiver route and taken out a new broadband contract is that I shall save £700 over the coming eighteen months and probably have more fun as well.

With the receiver you have bought which is a good choice I believe there are 1000's of channels available on many many satellite. There are satlite positions every few degrees. If nobody has told you can open the sky channels on the satellite you are aiming at in standard definition With a connection to a server that opens it. Other boxes such as viark can open the HD channels. With a euro connection line packages on just about every satellite position across the arc can be opened. Knowledge is key 😂

Thanks for that kegnkiwi, happy to hear you feel I've made the right choice. Without the help from members like yourself I would have really struggled.The encouraging thing I'm finding with members of this forum is that owners of satellite receivers use them as a functional devise but also have an interest in the subject. Seeking advice on the subject makes it far easier for newbies like me to gain help when required.
I am also a member on a phone forum and sadly most of its members consider their selves experts on phones because they own one. About a year ago I came close to bricking my phone because of an experts advice, it took me another five days before somebody came up with an answer to help resolve my problem so I am most grateful for the help I get here.

Back