Rangers FC Thread

Rangers had three players sent off as they lost an ill-tempered Scottish Cup fifth-round replay against Celtic.

Steven Whittaker received a second booking on 36 minutes as the match began to descend into controversy.

Mark Wilson fired Celtic in front early in the second half and the visitors could not muster a response.

Georgios Samaras hit the post as Celtic came close to a second and Rangers pair Madjid Bougherra and El Hadji Diouf were also ordered off late on.

Neil Lennon's side will now face Inverness Caledonian Thistle in the quarter-finals and Celtic remain in contention to complete a domestic treble, a feat now out of Rangers' reach.

Rangers, who lost forwards Nikica Jelavic and Kyle Lafferty in the run-up to kick-off through a hamstring injury and tonsillitis respectively, struggled to get out of their own half early on and Sasa Papac escaped a booking after felling Wilson.

However, the visitors did carve out a chance when Diouf, deployed in a lone striker role, ran on to Whittaker's pass and goalkeeper Lukasz Zaluska, in for the suspended Fraser Forster, came off his line somewhat hastily.

Diouf rounded the stopper near the byeline and crossed but Daniel Majstorovic headed away and Celtic eventually mopped up the danger.

Ki tried his luck from distance with a fierce left-foot shot but the attempt was always rising over the top.

Having shown leniency in the opening 27 minutes, referee Calum Murray's patience over scrappy fouls finally wavered when Whittaker was booked for tripping Ki.

And Whittaker received his marching orders when his reckless lunge on Emilio Izaguirre was punished with a second yellow and then a red card.

The incident provoked an angry exchange between Diouf and the Celtic bench and, after the Rangers bench got involved, Diouf was booked and Rangers assistant manager Ally McCoist and Celtic boss Neil Lennon were given a warning by referee Murray.

When the play re-started, a dreadful passback by Maurice Edu allowed Georgios Samaras a free shot at the Rangers goal but goalkeeper Allan McGregor blocked well and the ball rebounded off Samaras and out of play.

Kris Commons flashed a shot over from the edge of the box as Celtic continued to push.

Celtic captain Scott Brown joined team-mate Majstorovic in the book and John Fleck was also yellow-carded as an ill-tempered half drew to a close, Ki's injury-time free-kick creeping over the bar.

But, though the action on the park had taken a break, there was more drama in the tunnel as players and backroom staff from both sides remonstrated while they trooped into the dressing rooms.

Celtic were on the front foot at the start of the second half and went ahead when Izaguirre's cross found Wilson at the back post.

The full-back's initial shot was superbly blocked on the line by the head of Papac but the ball broke back to Wilson and his second effort bounced over McGregor and evaded Bougherra on the line.

Papac was clearly hurt by his headed clearance and lay prostrate in the goal mouth for several minutes before being stretchered off to be replaced by Gregg Wylde.

Rangers were almost gifted an equaliser when Charlie Mulgrew's wayward header looped back towards his own goal and Zaluska had to retreat to clutch the ball under pressure from Diouf.

Bougherra was booked for catching Hooper and the Celtic striker required treatment off the park before returning to the play.

Another vicious drive by Ki swerved just wide of McGregor's goal and Samaras blasted a shot against the base of the post after running on to Brown's incisive through ball.

Samaras had two more chances to score, his first header collected by McGregor and his next cleared off the goal-line by Wylde.

Rangers threw Kyle Bartley forward in search of a goal and a foul on the big defender gave the visitors their only real shot at goal but Diouf's free-kick was straight at Zaluska.

The Ibrox side were further depleted in injury time when Bougherra took out Commons and, after furious protests from the Algerian, the defender got his second booking and a red card.

And the same fate befell Diouf after the final whistle, the forward's dissent also incurring a second caution.

There was another clash on the touchline as Lennon and McCoist exchanged words and had to be held apart as a controversial night drew to a close.

_51497554_diouf.jpg

I thought Diouf walked the full width of the pitch to have a go at the wee irish guy and he told him he was a bb---------bad boy lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Rangers boss Walter Smith was not happy with referee Callum Murray following their 1-0 Scottish Cup defeat to Celtic.

The Hoops clinched victory over their arch-rivals with Mark Wilson grabbing the winner just after the break.

But by the time Celtic took the lead, Rangers were already down to ten-men as Steven Whittaker was sent-off for two yellow cards.

Rangers then had Madjid Bougherra sent-off for a sliding challenge on Kris Commons, before El-Hadji Diouf also saw red after the final whistle.

"Firstly, the first booking Steven Whittaker got he was fouled before any challenge, and didn't warrant one," Smith told Sky Sports HD2.

"I can't argue with the second but the first was harsh.

"Madjid Bougherra, he quite clearly wins the ball and because he slides the Celtic player goes over the top and I felt that was a complete over-reaction.

"As for the last one I don't know, I didn't see it as it happened after the end of the match."

Smith was pleased his side produced a better display than their last visit to Parkhead when they were easily beaten 3-0 last month.

"From our own point of view we did better than we did a few weeks ago," he said.

"We limited Celtic to few opportunities in the game but we didn't really get going in overall terms of possession and threat but we didn't look likely we would concede goals in the manner we did a few weeks ago, so we did turn in a better performance."

sad
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_6kIfrNTgw]YouTube - racist abuse aimed at Diouf during Old firm game[/ame]

JUST FOR RANGERS FANS,, as its the rangers thread how cum when Celtic wins against rangers all the tims are aggressive on here you would think they would be happy..but bloody weirdos at the same time lol

your right mate they cant just win and be happy . its cos they know that W.A.T.P LOL

RANGERS will face Kilmarnock at Ibrox on Sunday March 13 after the two sides agreed to bring forward their April 16 meeting.

With the two sides out of the Scottish Cup they will now meet at Ibrox on Sunday March 13 at 3pm on a weekend originally reserved for cup ties.

That should leave Rangers with a free weekend on April 16 to rearrange another of their outstanding league matches.

The Light Blues still have to arrange games with Dundee Utd, St Johnstone, St Mirren and Aberdeen.

But with all four still involved in the Scottish Cup there was no chance to play any of those matches next weekend.

Instead Walter Smith's men will host Mixu Paatelainen's side, the fifth time the teams will have met this season after facing each other in both cup competitions as well as twice in the league.

Walter Smith: Neil Lennon antics set off touchline spat

Rangers boss Walter Smith today revealed how Neil Lennon’s treatment of El-Hadji Diouf sparked the touchline mayhem at the end of last night’s Old Firm match.

Lennon came out of his technical area to exchange words with Diouf as he complained to fourth official Iain Brines after Steven Whittaker’s dimissal in the Scottish Cup fifth-round replay.

His actions angered Gers assistant gaffer Ally McCoist, who then had to be separated from the Hoops boss by coaching staff after the final whistle.

It is not the first time Lennon has allowed himself to become involved with Rangers players in the Old Firm game since taking charge.

He lambasted Steven Naismith for a tackle on Mark Wilson in the first cup game and was allegedly involved in an incident in the tunnel in that game with Vladimir Weiss and Diouf.

The Northern Irishman also exchanged words with countryman Kyle Lafferty after his side had won 2-0 at Ibrox back in January.

Smith said: “I think the problem was simple. Alastair was a bit annoyed that Neil was being aggressive to one of the Rangers players (Diouf). I think that was annoying him. These things happen. Playing each other seven times in a season doesn’t help.”

He added: “Diouf is an easy target for criticism and he gets himself wound up a little bit as he has done at the end of the game because it was a frustrating evening for us to see two players sent off. That’s the way he is."

“I am not so sure we committed many more fouls than Celtic. I felt Whittaker’s first yellow was soft, although I wouldn’t have argued with the second. Obviously I was disappointed with that."

“Madjid Bougherra’s first yellow card was one, the second one was clearly not. He slid in and clearly takes the ball and the Celtic player’s momentum takes him over the top."

“From my own point of view I feel the referee got carried away with the crowd’s reaction."

“It was a competitive cup-tie, but there were challenges I didn’t think were worth yellow cards."

“As I say, I couldn’t complain about Bougherra’s first caution or Whittaker’s second, but I felt they were both unlucky to be sent off. There was nothing that left anyone injured.”

Walter Smith

Source: Evening Times

RANGERS Football Club issued the following statement after First Minister Alex Salmond and Strathclyde Police announced that a summit will be held next week to discuss events surrounding recent Old Firm matches.

Chief Executive Martin Bain said: "At Rangers we have spent the day looking closely at the events of last night and the widespread comments expressed.

"When the First Minister and I spoke today I said we would willingly take part in the summit and welcomed the opportunity to discuss matters surrounding these fixtures 'frankly and openly'.

"At the summit we think it is important there is clarity on the issues we need to address.

"In relation to the match itself, we will be making the following points:

"There was indeed increased tension at last night's match between the clubs, mainly as a result of incidents at previous matches where two of our players were the subject of extreme verbal abuse in the tunnel and around the dug-out area at Ibrox.

"Our management team are highly regarded across the football world for their approach to the game. Our Assistant Manager, who is acutely aware of representing Rangers in the best possible way, became embroiled in a situation last night where he acted in the defence of our players. He met Neil Lennon again after the match and is now satisfied the Celtic Manager is fully aware of his views.

"The dismissal of three Rangers players and the extraordinary number of bookings we believe is a matter for the Scottish Football Association's disciplinary process. We should point out that in recent matches between the two teams the number of bookings and sendings off has been unremarkable.

"There has been extensive criticism of referees and the SFA this season and we are now questioning the impact of that criticism. Refereeing Old Firm matches is an extremely difficult task but the number of bookings last night compared with other recent Old Firm fixtures indicates the match was not controlled in the same way.

"We regret that on one hand the SFA Chief Executive today said they had launched an investigation into the whole matter and then in the same statement immediately leapt to conclusions on two of our players.

"On the wider issues raised by the Police, we as a Club take our social responsibilities very seriously, and the work we do to tackle issues such as anti-social behaviour, sectarianism and racism has been recognised by government, police authorities and football authorities.

"As regards drunken, violent or sectarian behaviour - either at Old Firm matches or in the wider community - we are at one with the Police and Government. Indeed, we work closely with Celtic through the Old Firm Alliance and other initiatives to tackle sectarianism.

"The issue of drunken behaviour in the wider community is something that all agencies need to work together to address. As a football club we are more than willing to play our part."

http://www.rangers.co.uk/articles/20110303/old-firm-statement_2254024_2307161

Last edited:
theres probably more fighting at a stockport game before and after the game, most of what your hearing is blown up to much. it sells papers mate.
most of the rangers and celtic fans are now back at work with each other
the best of mates.

Celtic boss Neil Lennon is facing an eight-match touchline ban following his bust-up with Rangers assistant manager Ally McCoist on Wednesday night.
On Thursday, Celtic accepted a revised ban of four games for a prior offence.

Now Lennon faces an additional two-match sanction for his altercation with McCoist - which will double due to his misconduct record this season.
For his part in the incident after Rangers' 1-0 defeat, McCoist will also receive a two-match suspension.
The bans are forthcoming as the pair were reported by the referee Calum Murray, and fourth official Iain Brines for clashing at full-time of the Scottish Cup fifth-round replay at Celtic Park.

Lennon's ban is four matches as this is the second time he has been reported for misconduct this term, while McCoist's punishment is standard for a first offence.
Both men are able to contest the bans and once appeals are lodged the automatic sanctions are set aside pending the outcome of the cases' consideration by the Scottish Football Association's disciplinary committee.

Lennon had already appealed against another six-game suspension, which was reduced to four following a successful appeal.
Following that decision by an independent review board, the club said they would comment further once given an official reason for the outcome.
"We are awaiting the reasons for this in writing and will make further comment on this issue when this has been received," said Celtic.
"The new sanction imposed by the appeals board is accepted."

Lennon was found guilty of "excessive misconduct" following an altercation with fourth official Steven McLean in an away defeat by Hearts in November.
But Celtic were angered by the length of the suspension, which was a two-match automatic suspension plus a further four matches for excessive misconduct.

Clearly, we are pleased that the appeals board has decided to set aside the SFA's original decision in its entirety
Celtic statement

However, they have now accepted the new sanction of an automatic two-match suspension and an additional two matches.
"Clearly, we are pleased that the appeals board has decided to set aside the SFA's original decision in its entirety," said their website statement.
Lennon's ban will begin on Saturday against Hamilton Accies in the Scottish Premier League.

He misses the Scottish Cup quarter-final against Inverness Caledonian Thistle, a league meeting against Hibernian and the Co-operative Insurance Cup final against Rangers on 20 March.

Lennon could be in further trouble following Wednesday's altercation with Rangers assistant manager Ally McCoist during his side's 1-0 win in their Scottish Cup tie at Celtic Park.

The Scottish Football Association has yet to receive the referee's report from that match and will only then decide its next course of action

theres probably more fighting at a stockport game before and after the game, most of what your hearing is blown up to much. it sells papers mate.
most of the rangers and celtic fans are now back at work with each other
the best of mates.
ever been to a stockport county game? very doubtful.. but most rivalry is about football... not religion, which is what it is in glasgow, in relation to rangers and celtic.. oh, and by the way i might live in stockport now, and have done for a good few years but i am a scouser, born and bred. lfc is in my veins and i know a hell of a lot about religious bigotry.. the "lol" are not resticted to n/ireland and glasgow.. but liverpool realised years ago, its a waste of time...

ever been to a stockport county game? very doubtful.. but most rivalry is about football... not religion, which is what it is in glasgow, in relation to rangers and celtic.. oh, and by the way i might live in stockport now, and have done for a good few years but i am a scouser, born and bred. lfc is in my veins and i know a hell of a lot about religious bigotry.. the "lol" are not resticted to n/ireland and glasgow.. but liverpool realised years ago, its a waste of time...

and your point is????

what do you hope to achieve with the above, i know it sounds cliche but you really have to be in the city for a while to understand a lot of the issues, the Liverpool derby, manchester derby etc.. are all very different.. it is surprising the amount of coverage the game is getting in the national media however...
I am getting a little fed up with the issues now turning to its a society problem in glasgow, and the scots are this the scots are that.. we dont want them in our leagues etc...
Now taking a look at English Football over the decades there has been far far worse things happening, (Cantona doing a bruce lee on the fan), England Fans causing problems everywhere they went, organised hooliganism etc. etc.. every club has its problems, Even a few weeks back on soccer saturday there was more trouble at a Millwall game.. Fine Lennon and McCoist had a wee arguement it shouldnt of happened but did, many managers have clashed in the prem in the last 5 years
Mancini Hughes
Wegner Fergie
Wegner allerdyce
Etc..

Scottish Football and the old firm have some issues but for whatever reason they seem to be getting more coverage than it perhaps deserves... not helped by clowns like Salmond jumping on the publicity bandwagon to get his photo on the front page

Police coming out and saying it incites trouble 38 arrests out of 60000 folk at the game, percentage wise that will no doubt be similar to man u liverpool at the weekend..

@boomer39 most rangers and celtic supporter are not in to religion, i have not been in a church since i was a young kid. the papers like to push the religion/god thing but truth is football is the religion, yes there are more Catholics that support celtic and Protestant rangers. but the real truth is most of us are atheists coonts that just love to hate each other in a football way. you have to be a part of it mate, i know family's that are celtic / rangers mix and they hate each other for the game your an outsider looking in.

what do you hope to achieve with the above, i know it sounds cliche but you really have to be in the city for a while to understand a lot of the issues, the Liverpool derby, manchester derby etc.. are all very different.. it is surprising the amount of coverage the game is getting in the national media however...
I am getting a little fed up with the issues now turning to its a society problem in glasgow, and the scots are this the scots are that.. we dont want them in our leagues etc...
Now taking a look at English Football over the decades there has been far far worse things happening, (Cantona doing a bruce lee on the fan), England Fans causing problems everywhere they went, organised hooliganism etc. etc.. every club has its problems, Even a few weeks back on soccer saturday there was more trouble at a Millwall game.. Fine Lennon and McCoist had a wee arguement it shouldnt of happened but did, many managers have clashed in the prem in the last 5 years
Mancini Hughes
Wegner Fergie
Wegner allerdyce
Etc..

Scottish Football and the old firm have some issues but for whatever reason they seem to be getting more coverage than it perhaps deserves... not helped by clowns like Salmond jumping on the publicity bandwagon to get his photo on the front page

Police coming out and saying it incites trouble 38 arrests out of 60000 folk at the game, percentage wise that will no doubt be similar to man u liverpool at the weekend..

easy tiger ,did u not make me a promise lol

COLIN !! What you doing in here lol

he is more than welcome in hear lol
now can we get back to taking the piss out each other (joke)

Last edited:
Back