Rangers FC Thread

can i ask if the sports forum can be taking out of the bit when you click view new posts, so that anyone that dont want to see the rants of rangers /celtic dont have to see it. unless they go looking for it

easy tiger ,did u not make me a promise lol

i said i wouldnt say anything to wind up the gers fans and i assume my rant above didnt.. just think the whole old firm crisis has ran its course... take out the ally v lennon stuff there was 1 bad challenge in the game IMO so lets get perspective

WALTER SMITH admits he can't wait to see the back of the Old Firm derby.

After almost 80 games against Celtic, the Rangers gaffer revealed he has had his fill of them now.

Smith said: "I will not miss the Old Firm games. Definitely not. They have never been that pleasant. You are just relieved to get them over and done with. The winning is a relief and losing is a torture."

Smith spoke out in the wake of Wednesday's shameful scenes that saw three Rangers players red-carded and his No2 Ally McCoist caught up in a touchline rammy with Celtic boss Neil Lennon.

The veteran gaffer, who retires at the end of the season, added: "When you reach a certain number of games you say to yourself 'it's time to go'.

"I always think I can get motivated, but all the stuff that surrounds the Old Firm game makes it harder for you to do that.

"In all truth I will not miss that aspect of it.

"It has nothing to do with results.

"Everything that surrounds it starts to be a problem when it used to be a challenge."

Both clubs have been condemned following the disgraceful scenes which tarnished Scottish football.

Yet Smith insists that Rangers have plenty of admiration for Lennon and his management team.

He stressed: "I don't think the respect has gone.

"There was a clash between Neil and Alistair but after the game they were OK. I hope that's it finished with now.

"You should always have respect in the Old Firm.

"I've always had it because I know the circumstances in which the other guy works.

"I can only speak from a Rangers point of view, but we need to make sure that kind of thing doesn't happen again."

Meanwhile, Gers No 2 McCoist has insisted he DIDN'T challenge Celtic rival Lennon to a fight.

McCoist told friends yesterday: "When I saw the papers I could not believe some of the things that were being said about the incident with Neil Lennon.

"The idea I challenged him to a fight on the touchline, or anywhere else, is absurd.

"What I said to him on the touchline was quite simple: 'Stay away from our players'.

"As we were walking up the tunnel once things had calmed down I said to him we could talk about it in his office if he wanted.

"We didn't do that, but met up with the rest of the management teams and he shook my hand then.

"He knows where I was coming from and we'll move on from there."

Meanwhile, Gers are likely to be without up to EIGHT players ahead of tomorrow's clash with St Mirren.

Sasa Papac will miss the game after a bout of concussion, while Kyle Lafferty and Nikica Jelavic were already out.

Lennon is too immature to manage Celtic and was a disgrace on Wednesday towards the rangers players and management.every dog gets there day and his is coming,Walter smith is the wise one when it was all kicking off he pulled mccoist away and never gave a reaction to it all that's the right way to do it

Rangers manager Walter Smith admits he was disappointed by the reaction of some of his players at the end of Wednesday's Old Firm derby.

Madjid Bougherra was sent off in injury-time and El-Hadji Diouf was shown a red card following the final whistle, after Steven Whittaker was dismissed in the first half at Celtic Park.

Smith acknowledges it is now his responsibility to ensure the discipline improves ahead of the Co-operative Insurance Cup final between the two clubs on March 20.

He said: "I was a little disappointed with the reaction of some of the players to decisions later in the game.

"They did get a little frustrated. You can argue about the right or wrong decisions of the referee but our reaction towards the end was a wrong one.

"That's something I have a responsibility to try to rectify. I don't hide away from that, that's part of management.

"I've got to take responsibility for that and will try to do so."

Rangers and Celtic will contest the first silverware of the season at Hampden before meeting for a seventh time this season at Ibrox in the SPL.

But Smith says there is no reason to fear a repeat of the events from the Scottish Cup replay.

He added: "From a Rangers point of view I was disappointed with the reaction which was mainly out of frustration towards the end.

"But I don't think we should start saying that every Old Firm game will finish up like that one.

"It doesn't mean the two remaining fixtures will be like the one the other night, they might be like the other four this season which didn't throw up any great problems at all."

Assistant manager Ally McCoist and Celtic boss Neil Lennon were also involved in an angry exchange at the end of the game but Smith claims there is no lingering problems between the two men.

He added: "Alistair and Neil were on talking terms after the game.

"It's something that won't carry on after the game."

Meanwhile, midfielder Lee McCulloch, who is injured and was unable to take part in the game, believes the fall-out from Wednesday's match has been over the top.

"I'm proud to be part of Rangers," he said.

"I just think everybody has blown it out of proportion.

"For me, all it was was an argument and a couple of tackles."

Rangers No2 McCoist: I never challenged Lennon to a fight!

Rangers No2 Ally McCoist denies claims being made about his bust-up with Celtic manager Neil Lennon.

Gers No 2 McCoist has insisted he DIDN'T challenge Celtic rival Lennon to a fight.

McCoist told friends yesterday: "When I saw the papers I could not believe some of the things that were being said about the incident with Neil Lennon."

"The idea I challenged him to a fight on the touchline, or anywhere else, is absurd."

"What I said to him on the touchline was quite simple: 'Stay away from our players'."

"As we were walking up the tunnel once things had calmed down I said to him we could talk about it in his office if he wanted."

"We didn't do that, but met up with the rest of the management teams and he shook my hand then."

"He knows where I was coming from and we'll move on from there."

Source: tribalfootball.com

ever been to a stockport county game? very doubtful.. but most rivalry is about football... not religion, which is what it is in glasgow, in relation to rangers and celtic.. oh, and by the way i might live in stockport now, and have done for a good few years but i am a scouser, born and bred. lfc is in my veins and i know a hell of a lot about religious bigotry.. the "lol" are not resticted to n/ireland and glasgow.. but liverpool realised years ago, its a waste of time...

Your correct, the "lol" as you put it are a worldwide organisation ;)

And just to add, I'm not in Liverpool but would tend to disagree with your opinion. Many times I've seen scoucers here every year and many times I've know local people to parade in Liverpool... so either your misinformed, blinkered or aint been to L'pool for a while.

Now back to Charlie Sheen :)

OOOOOPS i mean Footy

Nice deflection by Lemon

Neil Lennon could be forced out of Celtic Park as a result of a terror campaign reignited by the interception of a suspect package yesterday.
First-team coach Alan Thompson last night admitted that, while Parkhead boss Lennon won't leave before the end of the season, he is likely to reconsider his position in the summer.

The former Northern Ireland midfielder has been placed under 24-hour surveillance as a result of this most recent scare, which police later declared a hoax.
Celtic are now seriously concerned that Lennon - who has received death threats and been sent live ammunition in the post - will put his family first by walking away after one full season in charge of Celtic.
Asked if he thought his gaffer would review his future at the end of this campaign, Thompson said: 'I would assume so, yes.
'We are in three domestic competitions, which we're delighted with.
'Wednesday night was a great feeling, getting through to the next round of the Scottish Cup. The league is still up for grabs and we have Rangers again in the Co-operative Insurance Cup Final later this month.

'So I would be very surprised if anything happened between now and then.
'I think it will be something he will sit down and look at in the summer.'
Lennon's family are also under constant watch by police and Thompson added: 'His family are first and foremost, both in Scotland, his partner Irene and his little boy Gallagher, as well as his mum, dad and sisters back home (in Northern Ireland).
'Only Neil and his family can make that decision (on his future). But I'd be surprised if he goes anywhere in the next nine or 10 weeks.'
Lennon had a minder with him at training yesterday and was excused pre-match media duties following the latest incident surrounding his safety.
A Strathclyde Police spokesperson said: 'We can confirm that we are currently investigating a suspicious package intercepted at the Royal Mail sorting office in Saltcoats.
'The package was examined and it is being treated as a hoax. Police enquiries are ongoing.'
In January, Lennon was the target of bullets intercepted at a postal sorting office outside Belfast.
Celtic players Paddy McCourt and Niall McGinn were also sent bullets in the post and, like Lennon, both players were born and brought up in Northern Ireland.

Your correct, the "lol" as you put it are a worldwide organisation ;)

And just to add, I'm not in Liverpool but would tend to disagree with your opinion. Many times I've seen scoucers here every year and many times I've know local people to parade in Liverpool... so either your misinformed, blinkered or aint been to L'pool for a while.

Now back to Charlie Sheen :)

OOOOOPS i mean Footy

Nice deflection by Lemon

Neil Lennon could be forced out of Celtic Park as a result of a terror campaign reignited by the interception of a suspect package yesterday.
First-team coach Alan Thompson last night admitted that, while Parkhead boss Lennon won't leave before the end of the season, he is likely to reconsider his position in the summer.

The former Northern Ireland midfielder has been placed under 24-hour surveillance as a result of this most recent scare, which police later declared a hoax.
Celtic are now seriously concerned that Lennon - who has received death threats and been sent live ammunition in the post - will put his family first by walking away after one full season in charge of Celtic.
Asked if he thought his gaffer would review his future at the end of this campaign, Thompson said: 'I would assume so, yes.
'We are in three domestic competitions, which we're delighted with.
'Wednesday night was a great feeling, getting through to the next round of the Scottish Cup. The league is still up for grabs and we have Rangers again in the Co-operative Insurance Cup Final later this month.

'So I would be very surprised if anything happened between now and then.
'I think it will be something he will sit down and look at in the summer.'
Lennon's family are also under constant watch by police and Thompson added: 'His family are first and foremost, both in Scotland, his partner Irene and his little boy Gallagher, as well as his mum, dad and sisters back home (in Northern Ireland).
'Only Neil and his family can make that decision (on his future). But I'd be surprised if he goes anywhere in the next nine or 10 weeks.'
Lennon had a minder with him at training yesterday and was excused pre-match media duties following the latest incident surrounding his safety.
A Strathclyde Police spokesperson said: 'We can confirm that we are currently investigating a suspicious package intercepted at the Royal Mail sorting office in Saltcoats.
'The package was examined and it is being treated as a hoax. Police enquiries are ongoing.'
In January, Lennon was the target of bullets intercepted at a postal sorting office outside Belfast.
Celtic players Paddy McCourt and Niall McGinn were also sent bullets in the post and, like Lennon, both players were born and brought up in Northern Ireland.
i know mate,every 12th of july, on the way to southport, ,but things dont progress to football matters...

my point was about fighting at stockport county games , mentioned by surfbum.

so if its all to do with proddy and Catholic, how do liverpool manage to stop liverpools supporters flighting between there self ? because your team has a large mix of both, do u get my point in that ?
mate there is trouble before and after most football games if your saying there not, then you live in another planet lol

i was at a game in dingwall today and there was fighting befor and after, you may ask where the feck is dingwall lol

Last edited:
so if its all to do with proddy and Catholic, how do liverpool manage to stop liverpools supporters flighting between there self ? because your team has a large mix of both, do u get my point in that ?
mate there is trouble before and after most football games if your saying there not, then you live in another planet lol

i was at a game in dingwall today and there was fighting befor and after, you may ask where the feck is dingwall lol
know where dingwall is mate, east coast of scotland.. massive place????
should not really be replying but assume you are a catholic! hence your phrase "proddy and catholic">>. 50 odd years ago,in liverpool we would have said.."proddydog and cattywag" but think we have grown up since then...
how do you mean about lfc fans fighting between themselves?? lost me there...
of course there is trouble between some fans of all clubs, either due to "booze" or just plain thuggery,but it is not widespread....
also i did not say it was "all" to do with religion. but you must admit its obvious that the religious aspect is very near the surface.
anyway, back to football... come on the pool............................................

know where dingwall is mate, east coast of scotland.. massive place????
should not really be replying but assume you are a catholic! hence your phrase "proddy and catholic">>. 50 odd years ago,in liverpool we would have said.."proddydog and cattywag" but think we have grown up since then...
how do you mean about lfc fans fighting between themselves?? lost me there...
of course there is trouble between some fans of all clubs, either due to "booze" or just plain thuggery,but it is not widespread....
also i did not say it was "all" to do with religion. but you must admit its obvious that the religious aspect is very near the surface.
anyway, back to football... come on the pool............................................
most of the rangers/ celtic shit is drink mate
o i dingwall is big lol

Strathclyde police has opened an investigation into Wednesday night's Old Firm derby after complaints made by the public against the Celtic manager, Neil Lennon, regarding alleged abuse of the Rangers striker El Hadji Diouf.

The Scottish Cup replay at Celtic Park proved notable after three red cards for Rangers players and a touchline bust-up between Lennon and McCoist, the visiting club's assistant manager.

The police have now received a series of complaints about Lennon, believed to relate to allegations of abuse towards Diouf in what was a separate touchline clash, and are looking into them.

A Strathclyde police spokesman said: "We have received complaints from members of the public regarding allegations surrounding events during the Old Firm match on Wednesday 2 March 2011, which we are currently investigating."

Celtic remain fully behind their manager. Lennon's lawyer, Paul McBride QC, said: "These allegations are defamatory and outrageous with no substance whatsoever.

"This is a concerted campaign by malicious and despicable individuals to cause distress to Neil Lennon.

"Celtic Football Club and Celtic fans stand by their manager in the face of these vicious and unacceptable attacks."

A suspicious package addressed to Lennon was intercepted at a Royal Mail sorting office on Friday. Security around the Celtic manager has been increased amid a series of incidents, which include another parcel — which contained bullets — being sent to him and late night, threatening phone calls.
Strathclyde police opens investigation over Neil Lennon allegations | Football | guardian.co.uk

Kevin McKenna The Observer, Sunday 6 March 2011

Lay off the Old Firm, Mr Salmond – Glasgow has more 'shameful' problems

Old Firm football matches in the 1980s always carried a brisk challenge for me and my friends: how to partake of a four-hour drinking session before the match and remain upright enough to gain admittance and avoid trouble.

Once, before the 1982 Scottish League Cup final, a student friend won £100 on a slot machine and so the task of remaining sensible became ever more difficult. Yet the only discordant note of an otherwise splendid day occurred at the Strathclyde University disco later that night, when some of us were refused entry to a Martha and the Muffins concert on account of our dishevelled apparel and unsteady gait.

The following day we learned of the customary arrests for public drunkenness and acts of casual violence that are the usual aftermath of a Celtic-Rangers game, and we were thankful that we hadn't been caught up in any of it.

It's on occasions such as these that your gran's Hail Marys come in handy, I suppose. And we read, too, about the pious outrage of assorted local politicians and police chiefs, which, yet again, betrayed a disturbing level of ignorance and stupidity about the nature of drinking in parts of Glasgow and its link to poverty and lack of education.

The latest in the unbroken, 123-year series of Celtic-Rangers games occurred last Wednesday evening. When the dust had settled, after an admittedly towsy encounter, three Rangers players were dismissed for dangerous tackles and many others were booked for clumsy challenges. The Ibrox club had gone into this game under a great deal of pressure, as Celtic had outplayed them in each of their previous three encounters. It was hardly surprising that they would deploy a more robust approach on this occasion.

There was a mild kerfuffle on the touchline as the game ended, when Neil Lennon, the Celtic manager, and Ally McCoist, the Rangers manager-elect, momentarily snarled at each other. There may even have been some admonitory finger-waving.

These scenes so horrified Strathclyde's permanently agitated chief constable, Stephen House, that he thought it necessary to disturb Alex Salmond over his breakfast the next day. Within hours the first minister was making a statement to Holyrood about these "shameful" scenes and calling for a "summit" where selected cops, representatives of Celtic and Rangers and some football bureaucrats could hammer out the "issues".

I was surprised that Celtic, in particular, didn't tell Salmond to stick to serious politics and tell the police to behave themselves. For this is nothing other than a political stunt. You can tell when a first minister is struggling in the opinion polls; they decide to "do something" about the Old Firm, confident that it will give them some breathing space from the travails of properly running the country. Salmond's predecessor, Jack McConnell, did the same with his sectarianism "summit" in 2005, which, predictably, achieved absolutely nothing.

There is a police agenda at work behind this latest outbreak of hand-wringing by civic Scotland about the "Old Firm problem". And when there is a police agenda in a democracy we must all be very wary.

For weeks prior to Wednesday's encounter between Scotland's two largest clubs, there had been a high-profile press campaign highlighting apparently depressing increases in street violence and domestic incidents when Celtic and Rangers play.

At the previous game, on 20 February, more than 200 arrests were made in Glasgow; police sources claimed that their cells were full up and that prisoners had to be bussed outside Glasgow. The police, who are always steadfast and honest, must be challenged on this claim and asked to provide empirical and documented evidence for it.

The clear implication by the police is that Old Firm games cause all of this. It's a depressingly simplistic attitude from an outfit whose role is to remain at the end of a very short leash held by our democratically elected institutions.

Scotland has a ruinous relationship with alcohol, and this is heightened in very poor and deprived urban areas. A postcode analysis of all the crimes and misdemeanours following Old Firm games will reveal that the majority of perpetrators reside in a handful of postal districts. These will be among the most socially deprived neighbourhoods in Europe. Very few residents of Bearsden, Giffnock and Bishopbriggs will have been apprehended.

Old Firm games possess an almost sacred intensity that has to be savoured at least once in a lifetime. People treat them as special events, and those who are inclined to drink will drink rather more in the hours that surround these games.

The rivalry is a tribal one, based on centuries of religious, cultural and political differences. Tie it up with conflicting ideas of nationhood and you possess a combustible concoction.

It is typical of middle-class atheists to scorn the role that religion and national identity play in these conflicts. Yet while they are denied many other opportunities in life, associations and friendships based on tribal and neighbourhood loyalty will always prevail.

When the chief executives of Celtic and Rangers dutifully attend this pantomime summit, they must ask some questions of the police and politicians. Here are three: why has Glasgow city centre become a no-go area for women on Friday and Saturday nights? Why is knife crime still increasing despite your high-profile campaigns? And why are you, first minister, not convening a summit about these issues?

Our political chiefs and assorted executive plods should stop wasting our time and money posturing at their bogus "Old Firm" summit. Instead, they should be holding a poverty summit to look seriously at the issue of deprivation, which in turn leads to alcoholism, drug addiction, violent crime and domestic abuse. This is the apocalypse that stalks the needy in our midst, not Celtic versus Rangers.

Craig Burley NOTW

FOR once the entire country is talking about Scottish football after Wednesday's Old Firm derby.

For all the wrong reasons.

The reaction to events at Parkhead has been astonishing.

Everyone I've spoken to absolutely LOVED the Old Firm meltdown - apart from policemen and politicians!

I lost count of how many normally sane English friends and colleagues told me they are already counting down the days to the Old Firm League Cup Final on March 20, following the madness.

Scottish football - or the Old Firm at any rate - has become must-see TV in a freaky, 'Big Brother,' kind of way. Sadly it has more to do with their indiscipline than their football.

How tragic is it that our top club game, the jewel in our crown, is now regarded as some kind of freak show? The outbreak of childish behaviour has overshadowed the good football we saw in the original tie at Ibrox, yet it turned Wednesday night's event into a nationwide smash hit.

At times it was like watching a low-budget horror movie through the cracks in your fingers.

You know exactly what's going to happen in every scene, yet you can't take your eyes off it. That's where we are right now with the Old Firm.

In an ideal world people would drool over our biggest club game, as they do when Barcelona play Real Madrid, and praise us for our football.

But people aren't tuning in to watch Paul McStay and Paolo Di Canio mixing it with Paul Gascoigne and Brian Laudrup any more.

They're tuning in to see El Hadji Diouf and Scott Brown and who kicks the s*** out of who first. It's a shame because Celtic actually have quality players like Izaguirre, Kayal and Hooper who look as if they could play at a higher level.

The same could be said of McGregor, Bougherra and Naismith at Ibrox. But we seem to have reached a point after five Old Firm games this season where we're entertaining the public but p***ing off the police and politicians.

It's always dangerous for football when those two bodies get involved.

Salmond described the scenes at Parkhead as 'shameful.' This pair released Libyan mass-murderer Abdelbaset al-Megrahi

As the entire country talks about the drama and passion involved, some copper's union chief has a totally different slant on it.

He wants the fixture shut down or played behind closed doors. Call me cynical, but was it more than just a coincidence that Les Gray, Chairman of the Scottish Police Federation, claimed police wouldn't have enough resources to cope with seven Old Firm matches this season three days before Home Secretary Theresa May told his members to expect a pay cut.

Needless to say the copper's alarmist talk grabbed more headlines than Libya this week, which brings us not-so-nicely to our politicians.

It's all kicking off in Tripoli and the Middle East is going up in flames. David Cameron had more on his plate than to concern himself with Wayne Rooney scudding James McCarthy with his elbow.

But up here the First Minister Alex Salmond and his Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill are disgusted because Ally McCoist and Neil Lennon squared up to each other.

Salmond described the scenes at Parkhead as 'shameful.' This pair released Libyan mass-murderer Abdelbaset al-Megrahi, who was convicted of the Pan Am Flight 103 bomb which killed 270 innocent people, and sent him home to a heroes welcome and a party in Tripoli!

Now they're going to lecture Celtic and Rangers about the need to clean up THEIR act! It's not so long ago Glasgow was being described as the murder capital of western Europe.

Knife crime remains a huge problem. Sectarianism and bigotry are rife in the west of Scotland.

We drink too much, eat the wrong things, there's a drug culture and on top of that we take young impressionable children and send them to separate schools - then bleat about the poisonous religious divide in our society.

Maybe if we solved some of those problems, most of the issues surrounding Old Firm games would cease.

Instead, the politicians are going to put the world to rights by taking the Old Firm to task about their conduct! But they can't help themselves when they are presented with a high-profile opportunity to mouth their opinions. I wouldn't give tuppence for politicians getting involved in football.

What sanity has John Reid brought to our game at Celtic by questioning referees' integrity and supporting Peter Wishart's ludicrous proposal that refs should publicly declare who they support?

Lennon is crossing boundaries all over the place and upsetting a lot of previously reasonable people

Reid also publicly branded Rangers 'Boring Holy Willies.' Has this former Home Secretary done anything to calm tensions ANYWHERE?

Yet he has the power and authority to do some good by looking at his own club and recognising there is a problem with Neil Lennon. He has to ask why it is Lennon has become such a hated figure, to the extent he now requires round-the-clock protection and people are sending him bullets and fake bombs.

Martin O'Neill was a Catholic who played for Nothern Ireland and went on to manage Celtic. He ticked many of the same boxes Lennon does, yet he was able to go about his business without the same level of animosity. In fact he was grudgingly admired by most Rangers fans. Why is Lennon so different?

Whether he admits it or not I'm sure Walter Smith will have had a word with Ally McCoist now he's been confirmed as Gers' next boss.

Lennon is crossing boundaries all over the place and upsetting a lot of previously reasonable people. Someone in power has to pull him aside, put a fatherly arm around his shoulder and give him some advice.

They must remind him he is no longer a combatant in these games, he's the manager of Celtic and that comes with a whole lot of added responsibility.

If a player is over-stepping the mark on the pitch and has lost the plot, it's a manager's job to pull him back in line.

How can Lennon do that if he's racing to the touchline to square up to an opponent - even one as objectionable as El Hadji Diouf?

Why does he continue to behave the way he does? It's not rocket science. It's because no one he respects in authority has told him not to.

Right now no one in power at Celtic seems to be sounding the alarm about their manager's behaviour and warning him enough is enough, cut it out now.

And until someone takes on that responsibility I'm not sure Lennon is capable of policing himself.

Neil Lennon: Racist abuse claim against me is despicable, malicious, outrageous and false
Mar 6 2011 Exclusive by Derek Alexander, Sunday Mail
CELTIC boss Neil Lennon last night furiously denied hurling foul racist abuse at Rangers star El Hadji Diouf during last week's Old Firm game of shame.
Lennon broke his silence after police confirmed they were investigating complaints from 200 Rangers fans that he shouted a racist insult during last Wednesday's Old Firm game of shame.
They alleged that the Celtic boss could be seen shouting: "F*** off, n*****", after a heated touchline exchange with the controversial Senegalese star. They said the verbal attack was caught on TV cameras and is now on the internet.
Last night, raging Lennon branded the allegation "malicious and despicable" as police launched a probe.
Strathclyde Police plan to ask a lip-reader to examine the footage and decide whether the Celtic manager has any case to answer.
But last night, a spokesman for the 39-year-old manager said: "These allegations are completely outrageous - with no substance whatsoever.
"There is a concerted campaign by malicious and despicable individuals to cause distress to Neil Lennon. Celtic Football Club and all Celtic fans stand by their manager in the face of these vicious and unacceptable attacks."
The investigation centres on footage from TV coverage of Celtic 1-0 win on Wednesday night.
The Scottish Cup fifth-round replay at Parkhead saw onloan Rangers striker Diouf go head-to-head with Lennon in the home dug-out during the first half.
The player had to be pulled away from Lennon, who also had to be held back by his backroom staff.
Last night, police said they were investigating a number of complaints made by the public following the illtempered match.
It saw three Rangers players sent off and 35 arrests inside the ground, as well as a fiery bust-up between Lennon and Rangers coach Ally McCoist at the final whistle.
The scenes beamed across Britain provoked First Minister Alex Salmond andStrathclyde chief constable Stephen House to call an emergency summit of club chiefs on Tuesday.
The top-level meeting in Edinburgh will discuss measures aimed at curbing the mayhem surrounding the game and proposals include moving match-days and kick-off times.
The match came just days after we revealed how leaders of the Police Federation, who represent Scotland's rank and file officers, want the highly charged Old Firm matches banned unless the escalating trouble and violence can be eased.
Last night, a source said detectives were examining footage of Diouf and Lennon's bust-up, which can still be viewed on the internet.
The source said: "There has been about 200 emails about this and it looks like a concerted thing organised on the net.
"We suspect the clip has been up on the web and Rangers fans have been encouraging each other to complain."
"But any allegation of racial abuse has to be taken very seriously regardless of whether it happens during a football match or anywhere else."
Sources close to Lennon do not deny he threw fourletter insults at Diouf but say none had any racist element.
Controversial Diouf, 30, joined Rangers in January on loan from Blackburn Rovers.
As a Liverpool player in 2003, he roused the fury of Celtic fans by spitting at them during a Uefa Cup quarter-final at Celtic Park. He was fined £5000 after admitting assault under provocation when he appeared at Glasgow Sheriff Court.
He was also fined two weeks' wages by Liverpool. On Wednesday, he became the third Rangers player to see a red card, seconds after the final whistle blew.
Last night, a Strathclyde Police spokeswoman said: "We have received complaints from members of the public regarding allegations surrounding the events during the Old Firm match on Wednesday, March 2, 2011, which we are now investigating."
Meanwhile, Lennon has pulled out of a benefit game in Ireland today.
The move came on the advice of security chiefs who feared for his safety following recent death threats and a bomb hoax.
The Celtic manager was due to take charge of a Hoops side against Finn Harps in a benefit match then be a guest at a dinner for former player John Kennedy.
But now the Celtic players will fly in a private jet to County Donegal today without their manager. The club want him to stay in Scotland so he can be given protection in the wake of the most recent death threats.
Security had been heightened around the Northern Irishman after bullets were sent to him through the post in a stunt blamed on Belfast Loyalists.
And there was a fresh alert on Friday when a fake nail bomb addressed to him at Parkhead was intercepted at a Post Office sorting centre in Saltcoats, Ayrshire. Lennon was escorted to training on Friday by a bodyguard.
The Parkhead coach and his family are now under 24hour security and friends say the threats are causing them stress.
He is said to be considering his future as Celtic boss but is expected to stay on until the end of the season before reviewing his position

St Mirren 0-1 Rangers

Kyle-Bartley-celebrates-Rangers_2570601.jpg
Kyle Bartley's first goal for Rangers since arriving on loan from Arsenal put his team within five points of league leaders Celtic with two games in hand.

Rangers' best player in a poor match was Steven Davis, who had a free-kick saved brilliantly by Paul Gallacher.

Kenny McLean went close for St Mirren, volleying over from one of several good deliveries by David van Zanten.

Bartley's goal arrived in 24 minutes, a headed finish to a Madjid Bougherra cross as the Buddies switched off.

The challenge for Rangers was to pick themselves up after their defeat last Wednesday by Celtic, the early kick-off and crowd of only 5,405 adding to the sense of anti-climax.

After Rangers had dominated the early possession, Saints flickered to life.

Midfielder Steven Thomson won a challenge against Steven Whittaker and launched an excellent cross for Michael Higdon at the back post, but the big striker could not make the most of the chance six yards from goal and Rangers cleared the danger.

Higdon had looked an isolated figure up front but manager Danny Lennon's game plan was characterised in a move that threatened Rangers' goal.

His striker controlled a long ball up the park and laid it off for Thomson in support. He found David van Zanten overlapping on the right and sent a looping cross into the six-yard box which had Allan McGregor at full stretch to palm away for a corner.

From McLean's delivery, Lee Mair found space for a header that John Fleck cleared near the goal-line.

At the other end Paul Gallacher produced a first-rate save to tip a curling Davis free-kick from the top corner of his goal, but the Saints number one was soon beaten.

At the back, the Buddies were missing Darren McGregor following the death of his father, while Marc McAusland, who sustained an eye injury in training, was on the bench.

But those who were on the pitch ought to have done more to prevent the goal.

Madjid Bougherra lost marker Hugh Murray, collected Diouf's simple throw-in from the left and dinked the ball over three gawping St Mirren defenders - Bartley had the simple task of heading the ball into the net from four yards for his first senior goal.

Last week, Steven Whittaker said his preferred position was at full-back, presumably on the right. In Paisley he was deployed on the left after Sasa Papac failed to recover from his brave headed goal-line clearance in the defeat to Celtic on Wednesday.

But it was the former Hibs defender who was left dizzy by van Zanten as he whizzed past him and crossed for young McLean, who volleyed over from eight yards with his right foot, his weaker side.

Lennon's half-time team talk, you imagine, would have focused on pushing Rangers back and supporting Higdon better.

Paul McGowan, on loan from Celtic, said in the match build-up that he wanted to help Saints win for both his parent club and the Paisley outfit.

Five minutes after the restart he found himself five yards in the clear at the back post from a McLean corner but the little striker volleyed over the bar when taking a touch would have increased his chance of a goal.

McLean curled a free-kick a few metres wide of McGregor's post, his reputable left foot failing to test the Scotland keeper and for much of the second half that poor effort was the strongest whiff of a goal.

With just under 20 minutes to play, Kyle Hutton and Gregg Wylde came on for David Healy and John Fleck as Rangers manager Walter Smith tried to enliven his team.

Rangers had only two clear efforts in the second half, with Davis involved in both.

First he played the ball through for Maurice Edu but the American took a poor first touch in the box and dragged his shot wide, then, with five minutes to play, Davis cracked a shot from 25 yards a foot over the bar.

Between that, and prior to being substituted in favour of pacy forward Craig Dargo, Buddies midfielder Jim Goodwin dispossessed Bougherra and tried his luck from 20 yards with a dipping shot that McGregor scooped up.

As the match entered injury-time, Dargo's deft flick put van Zanten clear at an angle 14 yards from goal. A left-foot shot would have tested McGregor: his strike with his right skidded hopelessly wide.

The result leaves St Mirren seven points away from basement side Hamilton, but they must surely add to their SPL record of three draws and one win in 2011 to stay safe.

Last edited:
Normal service is resumed :banana::banana::banana:

Aye Craig Burley has got it spot on in that article

You just have to look at Lennons coupon when he is in action and that tells u he has no Class whatsoever and it's pure Venom he spouts off this is why he is looked @ as a total Cock and he brings it all on himself with his tantrums and behaviour.
As most Thugs do he blames it all on everyone else apart from himself and the hiearchy in the celtic boardroom are a disgrace as well letting him act as he does on the touchlines.

Back