question about getting it plum

It sounds like you have your elevation angle wrong m8
As per the guides you generaly get 1 west set and if your elevation and declanation is set correct the the other sats will pick up without problem. If either angle is out (or if the mount is not true vertical) then the dish will not follow the correct arc when motored.

Possible im gonna retry again tommorow, gonna find a plank of wood or something to sorta support my L pole so its 100% vertical, gonna also double check elevation/latitude settings although ive been advised its best too set my latitude (51) on the moter on both sides and leave the dish loose since im gonna need to move that up and down anyhow, ive been moving the entire dish and moter(both units facing straight) towards the direction of 1West I think that sounds about right?

Im gonna try diseqc 1.2 and save the sats i can find if worst comes too worst tommorow.

Either way im treating it as a hobby and new "very" learning experience for now, hopefully benefits and fun comes afterwards lol

hi m8, when i was learning in the back yard i did this.
set the system up the put sat box on bbc world and turn the volume up to full on the tv and then go outside and ajust dish untill you hear a deafening sound from the tv and your on bbc world@1 west. i know it is a crude way of doing it but it helped me when i was struggleing on my first do-it-yourself motorised dish. dont worry m8 you will get there in the end. regards mdt

its a good idea m8 but on my technomate 5400 I cant see any channels, id have too get an sat and signal before scanning it for its channels....

Otherwise that would have been a good idea :)

ok make sure the dish is all straight and slowly turn the motor round till you get the sat that shows as you said that was sky 28 east also double check the actual angle on the motor as most have a guage next to the shaft

then gently lower the dish DONT TOUCH THE MOTOR just the dish then raise the dish until you get highest pitch then tighten the bolts on the dish

then return the dish to X or Zero depending on how your motor is set

then with the receiver set to this transponder 11324H 24500 without loosening off the dish gently flex the dish left and right if the beeps pitch rises either way gently loosen the dish bolts and turn to highest pitch then tighten up again then push and pull the dish, its like you flexing the dish, if the pitch changed loosen off the bolts and raise or lower depending on the highest pitch

when you get the sweetspot then hopefully you should be able to take the sat finder off and link the cable straight to the lnb what the receivers signal is saying

its a good idea m8 but on my technomate 5400 I cant see any channels, id have too get an sat and signal before scanning it for its channels....

Otherwise that would have been a good idea :)

here m8, use this!
thanks to william 1 for the ch list

cheers for the list uploaded now :)

Last edited:
Ok well I was 5 seconds away from throwing in the towel and I tried that naf signal finder and just pointed again towards that area and I got Thor 1W/BBC !

Mdt super thx your trick worked after all I had the sat finder beeping away and bbc blasting out the TV set!

Only took me 3 days in the cold garden lol

Right at least I know its possible too get Thor1/Worldwide im scared too press any button on the remote in case it moves completly too another satelite lol

Didnt get a chance too finish it off today so gonna finish it off tommorow morning, im gonna further tweek and align it for max signal since atm 1west is showing 74% but alot of the other channels show 45-60%.

One question I do have is there a way I can set the moter or tm box too remember Thor 1w as in the "goto reference" that way if it does get lost again I can just hit that one button, or perhaps I can do that on the moter itself?

If I cant do the above guess ill just switch to disque and save it that way.....

Im just worried ill loose it since even moving it 1 notch from 18 to 19 looses BBC worldwide on thor didnt realise how sensitive it could be.

thx dbspider/mdt and everyone else, pretty much there now can pick up 13, 19, 28, 1west and few other sats also, cant pick up 30 hispat or more west ones since houses are blocking it. But at least im now able to redo it for myself/m8s if need be without spending £80-120 which was quoted from 2 sky installers!

Once I tweek and get better signal strength im gonna post it up with pics, you guys are gonna be impressed with my cowboy diy install :)

Good to see you stuck at it mate. Its a good feeling once you get it going.

I just done my first sat install for my mate. 80cm Motorised Setup.

Took me 4 hours. I was well chuffed.

Last edited:
Well done mate, I've been following your adventures with interest lol, as I'm going to be attempting the same myself soon. :Clap:

:Cheers:

lol dont congratulate me yet till you seen my dodgy newbie installation !

Back