Plug energy meter

Do these things actually work?
6.47€ 64% de réduction|Moniteur De Consommation Électrique, Consommation D'énergie, Wattmètre, Prise De Courant - Compteurs D'énergie - AliExpress

I'm trying to figure out per day how much my server uses in energy. It has a 600w energy efficient PSU before I upgrade/change the server.

Server runs 24/7 as my firewall and Nas run on it.
Seem to do I have one that I use on the odd occasion to find the power consumption of a product. I'll try find it later and take a piccy. You can buy them on Amazon UK.

I've just set mine up with a small element heater. Settings were off, half heat and full heat you can see the results in watts.

Attachments

• IMG_20230831_190438.jpg
    IMG_20230831_190438.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20230831_190426.jpg
    IMG_20230831_190426.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20230831_190411.jpg
    IMG_20230831_190411.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I've just set mine up with a small element heater. Settings were off, half heat and full heat you can see the results in watts.
To work out the cost then is it as simple as just multiplying the watts by time by kw unit price. So for example 1993 is 1.993kw and at 29cent per kwh means that if it's on for 2 hours straight it works out at roughly 58cents?

Does your one show usage over time or is it just current usage. Was hoping to see the difference usage over the day as the server can be under more load at different times of the day.

You could also look at a Smart Plug with built in energy monitoring, available in electronic outlets and online. Most models provide daily, weekly and monthly usage readings for the device that is plugged into it.

I think it can monitor usage over time but to be fair I have never really used it for that. I simply wanted to know the powered usage of such things like ac units. You can put the cost of units into it so I guess it can tell you the cost over the day. These were very highly rated on Amazon. I know it was cheap.

I bought one off eBay for a little less than the alibongo link in the OP, this year - which works ok
(after my free clip on one from EDF gave up the ghost and I looked up the price of a replacement lol)
I think they have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth ones for another fiver or so now.

i use the Devices from shelly. there are also a plugin Powermeter.
The System is simple to use and it´s produced in europe .. i trust it a lilte bit more ....

shelly.com

Back