PS3 switches on and then off

chip is back on again lol but as i said previous it switched of after 20 mins we cleaned it out put some new paste on and heated the chips but after we put it back together now it wont switch on it attempts to but beeps and switches straight of i can press eject as i switch power on and fans spi full speed then switches of again am i doing something wrong as its ylod straight away now

Anyone I'm desperate we been at it 2 days now

if the chip came off have you tested it to make sure there's a good connection, have you put it the right way round ?

if you've used a heat gun mate was this your 1st attempt?

could be numerous things now unfortunalty.....if that little chip came off then also so could a smaller one that you may not even see or notice was there.....or not there if there's some pads that were not fitted with one in the 1st place...when did it come off when you were heat gunning it?

Last edited:
No they were all there just came of when cleaning it was a relay for the led lights but its back on it did power up after that once then went of again but i can spin the fans ok and eject when you do that but when u press power its basically ylod and we done xbox before but not ps3

Also how do I check to see if it had a good connection ??

multimeter mate, if you've soldered any thing really that should be second nature, is the chip back on correctly? just a little worrying the condition of the board as if that one simply came off then there could be others that now if they haven't come off could be giving a poor or no connection.

did you clean the processors nice and shiney and have you used good thermal paste, I'm afraid I'm going for broken weak connection some where rather than heat sink paste on this one....

how long did you use the heat gun for and at what temps etc?

sorry don't want to teach a granny to suck eggs but don't know how much you done on heat gun treatments etc....i'm no pro either mate fried and popped a lot of boards in the past..lol

Last edited:
15 secs each chip and am not sure how hot our heat gun goes it's 1800 wat that's all I no

1800w = aprrox 570ºC, maybe way too much for it.....? how close were you? did that chip as i say come off after or before heatgun treatment?

About 2 inch but only had on low heat and no the chip came of when I was cleaning board up caught with finger

it don't sound good mate chips just coming off the board I'm afraid, there's not just one thing to work on now, i.e thermal paste/heat sinks but the problem that chips have fallen off.....you could try heat treatment on the whole board like what the xbox some times takes and that's the whole board both sides.....4 minutes and leave to stand, but that's 4 minutes with my heat gun and many failed attempts with boards etc.....4 minutes with yours could be 2 minutes to reflow the soder.....

how much thermal paste you use and did you clean them good? and how do you know which way that chip was meant to be? defo need a multi meter as well for things like this, a glass fibe pen and some good flux

It was only a relay so don't think it matters which way and yeah cleaned well and pit small line on and smeared it

Did you only heat the large processors? The little black chips need reflowing as well unfortunately.
If the board powered up once you re-soldered the little chip back on, looks like you have given your board the YLOD by reflowing. If you have a lower heat setting, ~ 350 C then you can spend longer on the chips when reflowing.

yeah we tried that and still same and that chip was just for the led apparently

mmm, I don't think you're gonna fix this one unfortunately :-(
What's your fleabay username so I can avoid this one :)

JohnO

lol well i hop i can fix it am deperate if not the bluray drive will be givn away as me sis need one for her 80gb

ive also got a 60gb which has ylod but ive pasted that and tried reflow but that wont switch on is ther any other problems it can be with that one

ive also got a 60gb which has ylod but ive pasted that and tried reflow but that wont switch on is ther any other problems it can be with that one

Could be the PSU or it could be the HDD, wouldn't like to say without looking at it. I personally don't use my heat gun on the 500+C setting as this just frys the things you are trying to reconnect.

JohnO

can you try the psu of 80gb on the 60 ? oris there any way of testing the psu

Last edited:
can you try the psu of 80gb on the 60 ? oris there any way of testing the psu

No, you can't I'm afraid! there are ones on ebay, but they usually come from YLOD machines anyway!!

JohnO

If I can get someone to test me psu what do they need to test ie were and voltages an so but also how could it be psu as there is power

Back