Problems installing xp in new build

stu1

DW Member ++
Reaction score
I have just put my firs pc together, everything seems okay until, I try to load windows xp pro .

when i put in the xp pro disc it loads the files and drivers ,and say setup is starting windows , it goes right
through to the licence agreement ,but then saysSetup could not read the CD you inserted, or the CD is not a valid Windows CD ,
I have made a copy of the disk but it wont read that either ?

There is nothing wrong with the disc it works in my other pc .

Could it be something I have done wrong ?

Tis is the spec !

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Energy Efficient 95W edition Socket .

ASUS P5KC AiLifestyle Series iP35 Socket 775 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard

Corsair 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered

ASUS 2400PRO 256MB DDR2 DVI VGA HDCP HDTV out Silent PCI-E Graphics Card
Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB SATA II 7200RPM 16MB Cache

LiteOn DH-20A1S 20X DVD1RW/DLRA

Have just looked up the specs of your Q6600 cpu on h**p://www.intel.com/products/processor/core2quad/specifications.htm, it shows the 6600 running an fsb of 1066megs, your memory is only 800megs.

Regards

Muskrat

Have just looked up the specs of your Q6600 cpu on h**p://www.intel.com/products/processor/core2quad/specifications.htm, it shows the 6600 running an fsb of 1066megs, your memory is only 800megs.

Regards

Muskrat

I don't mean to sound daft, but is that okay , I got advice as to which bits to purchase !
As like I said this is my first build so I am green !

I don't mean to sound daft, but is that okay , I got advice as to which bits to purchase !
As like I said this is my first build so I am green !

No mate, definately not ok, the front serial bus on your board/cpu is running at 1066Mhz and the fastest the memory will run at (without overclocking) is 800Mhz, you need to take the memory back and get some 1066Mhz memory or above.

Regards

Muskrat

Last edited:
No mate, definately not ok, the front serial bus on your cpu is running at 1066Mhz and the fastest the memory will run at (without overclocking) is 800Mhz, you need to take the memory back and get some 1066Mhz memory or above.

Regards

Muskrat

Do you reckon that is what the problem is , regarding intalling xp ?
or is that another problem .
And do you think they will take the memory back, as it has been opened , purchased from ebuyer

Hi Mairyhinge,

His memory is too slow, he's running 800 memory in a 1066 board, will never work unless he throttles back the chip/fsb to a slower speed.

Regards

Muskrat

I will get the correct memory ! I obviously want the right one !
And try and send the wrong one back ,
Regarding the disc I will see if I can get a replacement from mirosoft !

Whats your thoughts mate, 200meg quad pumped memory in a 266meg quad pumped board?

@Stu. It'll never run correctly mate, the memory is too slow, you need 1066 or above for that board/chip

I haven't had a look at full parts lists but I certainly agree in principle n memory can cause some unusal faults n errors.

I still would expect a memory error to not boot atall or bsod if it's that miss matched before getting that far in an installation!

Double checking all your parts are matched n compatable would of course be the first place to start for piece of mind if nothing else

I personally would then reseat all components n cables then try with a diff disk of XP. I know now after a read both XP Home n XP pro should be compatable with a Quad core, but I know it is M$ and would say the latest version of XP you can get would be the best to use.

I will get the correct memory ! I obviously want the right one !
And try and send the wrong one back ,
Regarding the disc I will see if I can get a replacement from mirosoft !

Hi Stu,

I think the disc is ok mate as it works fine in the other comp, the memory is definately a problem, you should always match or exceed the fsb of the board/chip when buying memory, hope all goes well for you and drop back and give us an update when the new memory arrives.

Regards

Muskrat

Hi Stu,

I think the disc is ok mate as it works fine in the other comp, the memory is definately a problem, you should always match or exceed the fsb of the board/chip when buying memory, hope all goes well for you and drop back and give us an update when the new memory arrives.

Regards

Muskrat

Will do , thank you all very much for your help !!!

I will now see how I go about send things back to ebuyer :Cry:

I still would expect a memory error to not boot atall or bsod if it's that miss matched before getting that far in an installation!

Have to agree there but the memory is corsair xms which can be "coaxed" to higher speeds, would suspect that memory is fine just loading from CD but, when faced with more rigorous tasks, it falls over, but would expect bsod though?

Regards

Muskrat

I suspect the disk, as I said above. If the memory was not compatible there would be errors on boot. Asus boards are are very sensitive to memory and if the mobo would fail POST if it was not suitable.

Is the XP disk from an OEM. If so some OEM disks check that the computer has hardward from the OEM installed before it will let you install the operating system.

Put your new harddrive in the old computer and install windows on it. Then swap it to the new computer.

Is the XP disk from an OEM. If so some OEM disks check that the computer has hardward from the OEM installed before it will let you install the operating system.

Put your new harddrive in the old computer and install windows on it. Then swap it to the new computer.

The computer was made for me , not a mass produced one so no it is not oem !

That is not a bad idea , but will all my stuff on my old hard drive be okay when I put the old hard drive back in ?
I have emailed micosoft for a replacment disc ,I will see what their response is first ! before I bugger up my working Pc !!!

Stab in the dark here but that sounds like 64bit spec PC is disk 32bit version?

AFAIK, there is no issue installing either.

My guess, is the BIOS up to date, that mobo is quite new and so is the CPU. Might be a memory issue or something

No problem with the ram mate, it will run fine.

Looking furhter into it that board does seem unstable at times. Especially with boots and it is picky with ram. Mainly OCZ though, Corsair is fine.

Take out one stick of ram and just boot it with a single stick and then try the install. I recently sorted a mates old PC out and when installing windows it just hung with 34 minutes remaining every single time I tried to install.

I ended up stripping it down and installing with the minmum ram, and it worked first time, I then powered down and installed the other ram and all was well.

If that does not work then I assume your CD is corrupt, you say it works on your other computer but you have never done a clean install, so how do you know if the disk is not corrupt at the particular point?

Alao Muskrat mate, yes the board accepts memory UP TO 1066, this means that that is the max speed memory the board can handle, anything below this is perfect, anything over this and you are wasting your money as the ram will just run at 1066.

Same as if you bought an 800mhz board, if you were to buy 1066 ram it would be a waste of money as the board will just run it at 800mhz, but if you were to buy 800mhz ram then it would be running the ram at it's max speed. If you were to buy 667mhz ram, again it would run fine, only the ram would be maxed out at 667mhz with the possibilty to overclock it to the max 800mhz of the board.

Same applies to his 800mhz ram and the 1066 board, it is fine, and also with that being high performance ram it will clock to close to 1000mhz if he needed, but I doubt he will need that as 800mhz stuff is good enough at the moment.

Last edited:
Your ram is totally fine mate. There is some confusion here regarding fsbs. I have a q6600 and corsair xms 800 ram at the following settings 9x400= 3.6ghz ram is set at 1:1 so as it is ddr2 it is running at 800mhz(400x2) the FSB is quad pumped so it is 4x400=1600mhz these are my overclocked settings. At default settings are 9x266=2.4ghz FSB is 4x266=1066mhz and ram would be 2x266=533mhz.

The reason your xp disc doesnt work is that newer builds require xp with sp2 integrated so you need to slipstream your xp disk with sp2. Google "slipstream xp with sp2" and you will find its an easy process you will just have to reburn disc and away you go.

Alao Muskrat mate, yes the board accepts memory UP TO 1066, this means that that is the max speed memory the board can handle, anything below this is perfect, anything over this and you are wasting your money as the ram will just run at 1066.

Hi Digicol,

Its not the board fsb that concerns me, its the cpu fsb. The board would be fine mate but the intel specs show the fsb of the cpu at 1066Mhz at w*w.intel.com/products/processor/core2quad/specifications.htm.

What I am thinking is that the fsb of the chip will outrun the response times of the memory unless the cpu fsb is throttled back and the ras/cas/etc timings of the memory relaxed.

Regards

Muskrat

Back