New build problems !

not2bad

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have just recieved the following spec pc from ebuyers (in the form of the below parts that is)

My problem is this It doesnt power up. All the connectors are connected on the motherboard but i get nothing no beeps, no case fans starting nothing !

I tried taking it out of the box and connecting it all up on the table to check for it shorting out on the case but still nothing.

I've tried one or both ram chips in and still nothing.

Am i right in thinking that it should at least post with a processor, ram chip connected only ?

Am guessing either the power supply or the board are at fault just not sure how to proceed in proving each one ?

Tried connecting up a multimeter to the power supply and on the 12v processer lead it comes back at 4V DC. But having checked my other PC it comes back with 2.4V so not quite sure thats a conclusive test !

Any ideas anyone ?

1 x Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB SATA II 7200RPM 16MB Cache - OEM

1 x Corsair 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory Non-ECC

Unbuffered CL5(5-5-5-12) Heat Spreader Lifetime Warranty 98710 Invoiced

1 x Pioneer DVR-112DBK 18x DVD1RW Dual Layer Internal IDE (Black) - OEM

1 x Extra Value Gold 600W 12cm Fan Silent PSU - PFC 20+4pin 119227

1 x I-Cute Black UL01 Mid Tower Case - No PSU 121072

1 x Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3 GeForce 6100 Socket AM2 onboard VGA High Definition Audio 8 channel ATX Motherboard 132837

1 x Asus 7300GT Silent 256MB DDR2 DVI HDTV PCI-E Graphics Card 127710

1 x Microsoft Black Wired PS/2 Keyboard 500 - Retail Box 88759

1 x AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Socket AM2 Retail Boxed Processor

1 x OCZ Ultra 5+ Silver Thermal Compound

i would get rid of that power supply first,you have some fairly expensive components there and to run them on a cheap psu is asking for trouble.

does the green/amber light-up when you connect the PSU? i know its a stupied ? does you PSU have a on/off switch on back also check the fuse. also check the cables from case to MB. i am checking you MB manual have you connect the PWR_led cable to MB PWR_led? or you have connected to F-Panel? also check again if you connected all the cables +/- on F-Panel

Not sure if this helps, but when I first fired up my first rebuild I forgot to connect the power plug for the processor. It was the small square four pin plug from the PSU.
Kind Regards
Akman

Thanks for the replys everyone, went out and bought another PSU and i'm typing on the new PC as we speak !

A dead PSU is the most annoying thing ever! I had a similar problen with a decent psu and it took me about 3 hours of cursing b4 I even thought about it being broke!

Congrats on the new pc, looks like a good build!

It might also be worth noting that i came to the conclusion it was the power supply by reading that if you short the connector green wire on the 24pin connector against a ground wire (black) the fan should come on to the power supply which it did not.

Back