Problems installing xp in new build

stu1

DW Member ++
Reaction score
I have just put my firs pc together, everything seems okay until, I try to load windows xp pro .

when i put in the xp pro disc it loads the files and drivers ,and say setup is starting windows , it goes right
through to the licence agreement ,but then saysSetup could not read the CD you inserted, or the CD is not a valid Windows CD ,
I have made a copy of the disk but it wont read that either ?

There is nothing wrong with the disc it works in my other pc .

Could it be something I have done wrong ?

Tis is the spec !

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Energy Efficient 95W edition Socket .

ASUS P5KC AiLifestyle Series iP35 Socket 775 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard

Corsair 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered

ASUS 2400PRO 256MB DDR2 DVI VGA HDCP HDTV out Silent PCI-E Graphics Card
Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB SATA II 7200RPM 16MB Cache

LiteOn DH-20A1S 20X DVD1RW/DLRA

I have just put my firs pc together, everything seems okay until, I try to load windows xp pro .

when i put in the xp pro disc it loads the files and drivers ,and say setup is starting windows , it goes right
through to the licence agreement ,but then saysSetup could not read the CD you inserted, or the CD is not a valid Windows CD ,
I have made a copy of the disk but it wont read that either ?

There is nothing wrong with the disc it works in my other pc .

Could it be something I have done wrong ?

Tis is the spec !

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Energy Efficient 95W edition Socket .

ASUS P5KC AiLifestyle Series iP35 Socket 775 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard

Corsair 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered

ASUS 2400PRO 256MB DDR2 DVI VGA HDCP HDTV out Silent PCI-E Graphics Card
Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB SATA II 7200RPM 16MB Cache

LiteOn DH-20A1S 20X DVD1RW/DLRA

Replace the optical drive in the new computer with the one from the older comp and try to boot from there, if all boots ok the new optical drive is knackered.

Hope this helps mate.

Muskrat

I have just changed the optical drive as you sugested .
But still the same result .

Could not read the CD you inserted, or the CD is not a valid Windows CD .

Any other ideas ???

I have just changed the optical drive as you sugested .
But still the same result .

Could not read the CD you inserted, or the CD is not a valid Windows CD .

Any other ideas ???

Hi Stu,

Am clutching at straws a bit now mate, is the bios seeing all the memory and other bits? Is the jumper set correctly on the optical (the master port on an eide cable is the one in the middle, slave port at end of cable)? Are the optical and HD's on different cables or is the optical pata and the HD sata?

Regards

Muskrat

Hi Stu,

Am clutching at straws a bit now mate, is the bios seeing all the memory and other bits? Is the jumper set correctly on the optical (the master port on an eide cable is the one in the middle, slave port at end of cable)? Are the optical and HD's on different cables or is the optical pata and the HD sata?

Regards

Muskrat

The bios are set right ,what ever optical device I have tried, is the first to boot .
There are no jumpers
All power cable are connected correctly .
The hard drive and optical are both on sata !

The bios are set right ,what ever optical device I have tried, is the first to boot .
There are no jumpers
All power cable are connected correctly .
The hard drive and optical are both on sata !

Sounds fine to me mate and, as you have said, the disc works in your other comp.

I have nearly the same set up - 2 x sata HD + 1 x sata optical. Is the bios set to ide sata or raid sata? Sorry mate, but as I've said, am clutching at straws, the only time I have come across this fault before was when the cd was knackered.

Regards

Muskrat

Woz a stab in the dark as I said!

If the disk is loading it dosen't sound like the drive is having a prob reading, could be a small corruption on the disk, do you have a diff copy you could try?

I have had something like this happen not exact same error message I don't think, eject the DVD and then close the tray resovled my prob.

I have a dual Zeon PC and the version of XP Pro is for 1-2 CPU which made me think you may need a diff version of the XP disk, but I'm still pissing in the wind.

Woz a stab in the dark as I said!

If the disk is loading it dosen't sound like the drive is having a prob reading, could be a small corruption on the disk, do you have a diff copy you could try?

I have had something like this happen not exact same error message I don't think, eject the DVD and then close the tray resovled my prob.

I have a dual Zeon PC and the version of XP Pro is for 1-2 CPU which made me think you may need a diff version of the XP disk, but I'm still pissing in the wind.

I don't have another copy ,only one i copied from the original .
But I am of the same oppinion as the drive is doing its stuff !

I can't remeber that one I will have a look , oh the disk seems to be okay in my old pc , no scratches like new,.
But I have never done a clean install !

Clean install is easy mate.

From reading your post again you have got to the point (press f8 on licence agreement screen) just before it looks at the HD to see what, if any, primary partition is on there, if it failed with a "no hard drive on system" then we could go from there but as its loading all the files into memory and going through to the licence screen then I would have to agree with Hejira, is there a slight bit of contamination on the disc, is it an original XP disc?

Regards

Muskrat

Still pissing in the wind here - lol

How old is the XP disk? An old Original XP disk before any service packs would be missing quite a few drivers!

Yes it is the original disc ,ok its 2002 model but that shouldn't make any difference !
I might have a look and see if I can download a different one ,or get a replacement from microsoft !
I have the serial number .

Yes it is the original disc ,ok its 2002 model but that shouldn't make any difference !
I might have a look and see if I can download a different one ,or get a replacement from microsoft !
I have the serial number .

Has it got sp1 on it, mine progs/works fine on xp sp1. There is info on downloading and embedding sp1 into earlier copies of XP, try a google about.

Regards

Muskrat

Has it got sp1 on it, mine progs/works fine on xp sp1. There is info on downloading and embedding sp1 into earlier copies of XP, try a google about.

Regards

Muskrat

I am pretty sure it has service pack one ,

If it was the mother board or some other hardware problem .I woundn't get as far as I am getting , would I ?

I am pretty sure it has service pack one ,

If it was the mother board or some other hardware problem .I woundn't get as far as I am getting , would I ?

Possibly you would, it does sounds like a hardware problem as the disc and drive are both working in your other comp.

Still clutching at straws, try exchanging the sata leads from the hd and optical and see if the same thing happens.

[EDIT] try it with just one memory stick in, if it fails try it with just the other stick in, trying to eliminate possible memory faults.

Regards

Muskrat

Possibly you would, it does sounds like a hardware problem as the disc and drive are both working in your other comp.

Still clutching at straws, try exchanging the sata leads from the hd and optical and see if the same thing happens.

Regards

Muskrat

I have tried swaping the leads still the same result .

But I would like thank you both for you help thus far !
I might put out a shout , and see if any one knows where I can download a working disc !

Back