Problems installing xp in new build

stu1

DW Member ++
Reaction score
I have just put my firs pc together, everything seems okay until, I try to load windows xp pro .

when i put in the xp pro disc it loads the files and drivers ,and say setup is starting windows , it goes right
through to the licence agreement ,but then saysSetup could not read the CD you inserted, or the CD is not a valid Windows CD ,
I have made a copy of the disk but it wont read that either ?

There is nothing wrong with the disc it works in my other pc .

Could it be something I have done wrong ?

Tis is the spec !

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Energy Efficient 95W edition Socket .

ASUS P5KC AiLifestyle Series iP35 Socket 775 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard

Corsair 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered

ASUS 2400PRO 256MB DDR2 DVI VGA HDCP HDTV out Silent PCI-E Graphics Card
Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB SATA II 7200RPM 16MB Cache

LiteOn DH-20A1S 20X DVD1RW/DLRA

Hi Digicol,

Its not the board fsb that concerns me, its the cpu fsb. The board would be fine mate but the intel specs show the fsb of the cpu at 1066Mhz at w*w.intel.com/products/processor/core2quad/specifications.htm.

What I am thinking is that the fsb of the chip will outrun the response times of the memory unless the cpu fsb is throttled back and the ras/cas/etc timings of the memory relaxed.

Regards

Muskrat

The FSB of 1066 is 266 quad pumped at that speed memory would only be at 533mhz at 1:1 ratio. You would need to raise your FSB to 400 which is 1600 mhz quad pumped to run your memory at 800mhz at 1:1 ratio. This is the way core 2 duo cpu's are setup. There is nothing wrong with his setup just that he needs sp2 on his setup disc this is a common problem.

The FSB of 1066 is 266 quad pumped at that speed memory would only be at 533mhz at 1:1 ratio. You would need to raise your FSB to 400 which is 1600 mhz quad pumped to run your memory at 800mhz at 1:1 ratio. This is the way core 2 duo cpu's are setup. There is nothing wrong with his setup just that he needs sp2 on his setup disc this is a common problem.

Hi Maddogs,

Thanks for the info, I haven't built any quad cores yet due to family illness over the last couple of years.

I see now what you are getting across, ddr2 800 = 2 x 400 fsb, 1066 = 266 x 4, I wouldn't care but I was saying the same type of thing in my earlier post, I should have realised then really.

Regarding sp2, is this a requirement for quad cores as I have a dual core 939 which programmes fine with xp sp1?

Regards

Muskrat

I would just like to say a Big thank you for all the help I have been given !!

I'm not out of the woods yet mind ,but once I have a new disc , I think I will be okay !
Hopefully Microsoft will come up trumps and send me a replacement with sp2 on it !
Regard Stu ....

It tends to be with newer setups I think its the newer motherboards not the cpu's i could be wrong though. But just slipstream sp2 with your current disc and reburn and you will be ok.

It is always best to use the most up to date windows disc as it saves the hassle of updating manually later.

It tends to be with newer setups I think its the newer motherboards not the cpu's i could be wrong though. But just slipstream sp2 with your current disc and reburn and you will be ok.

It is always best to use the most up to date windows disc as it saves the hassle of updating manually later.

I have tried that but my pc won't let me do it !
When I try to integrate nothing happens so I gave up !

Yes I have tried that one, and all the rest of them!
It all goes too pot when I get to this bit ,

"Next, open a Command Prompt (Start > Run > cmd), and go to the folder where you downloaded SP2 (cd \foldername). Type the command: servicepack filename /integrate:drive/path. In my example the command is WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU /integrate:D:\XP-CD. "

Can't remember exactly what is says ,but basically says can't be done !
Like I said earlier, tried for hours with no luck , then gave up !
It pisses me off that I have a genuine disc ,and I can't do it , I know its old , but it is genuine !!!

Ps , I am downloading one should be done in a few days, its soooo slow , then who know it might even work !!

Last edited:
Yes I have tried that one, and all the rest of them!
It all goes too pot when I get to this bit ,

"Next, open a Command Prompt (Start > Run > cmd), and go to the folder where you downloaded SP2 (cd \foldername). Type the command: servicepack filename /integrate:drive/path. In my example the command is WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU /integrate:D:\XP-CD. "

Can't remember exactly what is says ,but basically says can't be done !
Like I said earlier, tried for hours with no luck , then gave up !
It pisses me off that I have a genuine disc ,and I can't do it , I know its old , but it is genuine !!!

Ps , I am downloading one should be done in a few days, its soooo slow , then who know it might even work !!

Thats bloody microshaft for you is it any wonder people use pirated copies when its easier to setup.

Mate what OS are you using? I will be able to help you out if it's XP pro but won't be able to post till tuesday as I am skint till I get paid lol.

You have a genuine licence so nothing illegal here, cough, cough.

Thanks very much for the offer digcol, I have downloaded one . but it won't write as an iso with Nero , but I have another downloading ,I will see if that works, before I put you to any trouble !
Cheers mate very much appreciated .
Regards Stu .........

Upate ,

I have a replacment XP Pro Disc comming from Micro soft , in a few days .

Hopefully that will sort it .

I have emailed Corsair , but no response from them , Intel just an automated response .

But I did manage to slipsteam my copy of Xp Pro with sp2 ,
Still the same out come .

If anyone needs to do that , but can't do it via Command prompt , use Autostreamer ,it's easy , and its free !!

This one got to me a bit so I've been of for another search and I think I might have found the prob!!!!!

The CD you have is an upgrade disk and so It's looking for a previous version of Windows!!

Try putting in a copy of Win98, ME, 2000 @ the invalid CD bit then It should ask you to put the XP CD back in!

Last edited:
I have slipstreamed many disk now and the most important lesson I learned is using the correct method of doing it. What I mean by this is in the Run command line you can use "itegrate" or "update" but they have to used by way of using the correct method and the version of XP that you have.

This site is by far the more thorough and complete explanation and uses the "update" command line and works no problem but you must be as thorough as he is in what you are doing. It works every time provided that is you do exactly as specified:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

This site uses "integrate" but I have had issues with that similar to yours:

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html

Another "update" command line site:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

My point is update works whilst integrate has problems.

So my advice, without being glib, is to check it out and you will find that slipstreaming, done properly, is a walk in the park

Update time !!!!
I received my replacement xp disc from Microsoft yesterday .

Installed it , it worked straight away ! and now my new build is up and running .
Only a few little things to sort out .
But I am very pleased with the result !
Thanks for the advice given !!!

Back