Printing via XP laptop to Win7 Desktop via Wireless Router !

maarksparky

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi folks..

I have tried everything, search/googled different ways but still no luck...

I have a program that I use only works on XP so need to print some stuff from it.. However my HP Laserjet 1100 only has a 25 parallel cable which means I cant connect it directly to laptop...

seen some suggestion on the net regarding network printing but still not luck..

I have enabled "sharing" on my Win7 desktop but cant seem to find/connect to the printer on my XP laptop..

can someone please help me with this...

current setup
Laptop - XP Home
Desktop - Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Modem connected to Netgear wireless router
Laptop wirelessly connected

thanks in advance..

It could be they are not on the same workgroup.

W7 uses workgroup as name and as far as I remember, XP Home uses mshome as workgroup name.

If you haven't already tried it, change workgroup name in XP Home to workgroup to see if it can find the wireless printer.

Make sure:

Same workgroup as said about.
Enable sharing on W7.
Right click on printer in "Printers and Faxes" > Sharing > set up there
on XP, go to add printer > network > etc

Nver tried with parallel printer but did have it working via USB.

Did you set up Homegroup for networking in Windows 7?
Homegroup only works with Windows 7 computers and will not talk to your XP computer.
If so, you will need to change the networking system to one that XP can use.

On your Windows 7 computer, click the Start button at the bottom left of the screen, then go to the Control Panel and choose Network and Sharing Center. Click the link under "view your active networks" (if you've set up a Homegroup,the link should say "home network").
In the next window choose "Work network" that will switch you from a homegroup to a workgroup so your two computers can talk to each other. Before you can network the computers, you must assign the same workgroup name to both of them and SHARE folders in Explorer.

The XP computer's internet problem is not related the above. If your broadband modem is connected to the router and the router is connected to each computer your should not have any problems. If you are using a wireless connection you may have changed the ID or keyword when you installed the Win 7 computer.

Are you getting any error message when you try and connect to the network?

I would suggest you to refer to the below mentioned link and check if you have met all the criteria required to connect the Windows 7 computer to the network -
1. Put all computers in the same workgroup.
2. set the network location Home or Work.
3. Make sure your firewall allows file and printer sharing.
4. Turn on additional file and printer sharing options.
5. Consider using password protected sharing.

For the brief description of the above criteria refer to the link below -
Networking home computers running different versions of Windows
If the issue persists you may use the network troubleshooter to check for resolution. Refer to the link below for using the troubleshooter-

Using the Network troubleshooter in Windows 7

Hope this helps. Let us know the results.

mate, just find the ip address of the win 7 machine:

start, type cmd, then type ipconfig and hit enter. this will show the ip address

go to the xp machine, start - run, type \\192.168.0.1 or whatever the ip address of the win 7 machine is

if sharing is enabled ok on the desktop this will show you all the shares available on it. One of which should be the printer, double click on it and it should install.

That's it, the workgroups etc won't matter if you do it this way. If that doesn't get anything check the sharing settings and firewall on the desktop and change them till it does.

If you are still having problems.

Check your firewall is not blocking file and print sharing or switch it off altogether to ensure it is not causing a problem.

If the firewall is not causing the problem there is a clunky way around this issue.

Ensure that the printer is shared on the Win7 machine. From a command prompt, type 'net share' you should see the printer and print$ folder shared out. If so then you are good to proceed.

On the XP workstation, create a bat file on the desktop, it can be called anything for example 'map printer.cmd'

In this bat file create a single line enter.

net use \\<ip address of Win7 workstation>\print$ <password> /u:<userid>

Where userid and password are the ones you use on the Win7 to logon with

You should now be able to add the printer in the WinXP workstation as a network printer.

Back