cant run .exe from desktop folder

johnny bravo

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hi guys - got some software that ive got in a zip file on my windows 10 laptop. when i extract it to the same folder on the desktop and run the .exe file i get
"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item"
ive right clicked on the file selected "properties"...then "security" tab and all permissions are ticked to "allow"...yet i still cant run the .exe file.
any ideas ? ta

Have you tried Run as Administrator?

Try turning off anything in Windows Defender.

Have you tried Run as Administrator?

Try turning off anything in Windows Defender.
yep as administrator
Turned off all firewalls
Smart screen turned off
Disabled eset , although I've allowed the .exe in the exclusions list.
Now when I run the .exe , the message comes up and the .exe file is deleted from the folder on the desktop..?

Attachments

• 20210731_180635.jpg
    20210731_180635.jpg
    699.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210731_180820.jpg
    20210731_180820.jpg
    571 KB · Views: 11
I've also allowed the .exe file to be allowed through windows defender firewall..

Would this have something to do with trying to make it a trusted file within Windows.

Depending on what your trying to run is it possible that you AV has put 1 of the needed files into quarantine before you disabled it?

nothing in quarantine, ive allowed for that file to excluded from eset detecting it...its nothing to do with my eset antivrus

nothing in quarantine, ive allowed for that file to excluded from eset detecting it...its nothing to do with my eset antivrus
Is what your trying to run compatible with win 10?
Have you tried compatibility mode?

yes its compatible as i have an earlier version of the same program on my desktop , that has the same .exe file which i have excluded in my antivirus and that runs fine...

ok found out the problem....it was malwarebytes which was assuming the .exe was a trojan and keot quaratineing it....allowed it on malwarebyes in the ignore list and its working fine now...

Sorry my bad...I've always had it installed ,never actually run it until I get some malware problem lol...anyways,,my 👎lol 😆

Back