printing black & white

seanicca

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
been emailed a pic of my 2 kids in black & white, i've been trying to print it off but with no luck using an epson r300, tried all different settings even grayscale when printing but just doesn't look right. would i be better getting the original ( not an emailed copy) and taking it to a shop or is there a way i can do it

thanks

Have you tried printing it in colour? Sounds daft but it will let the printer (or driver) decide what goes where.

Dont forget 99% of injet printers actually only print 4096 colours, or 256 shades of grey. There are infinitly more hues and shades on colour or black and white pictures from film.

Even JPG files can have more colours (or shades) than printers can print.

Try getting them printed on a dye-sub printer, they are much better.

you're right it does sound daft, but i understand what you mean. I'll give it a go tomorrow when i get in from work.

Cheers

Hi. Don't know if youre interested, but a good way to get sepia style photos from colour or black + white originals in Photoshop is:

CHange pic to greyscale
change pic to cmyk (still looks b+w)
split channels
merge channels again, but swap the cyan and yellow channels around.

Gives you a nice sepia picture.

Haven't used Potoatochop in yonks, so I'm sure there are plug ins that will do it for yu, but I remember being made up when I did it by accident years ago meself!

I've been doing some B&W prints recently and i just print has normal, came out lovely and sharp with great tones.
Have read that your better off have them proffesionaly done because most inkjets can't handle them to well but i think newer printers should be fine.

just left as normal and came out pretty good, still going to take it to a shop see how much for canvas or something, but the one i've done is ok for the album

cheers guys

most of the online places do 'x' amounts of free prints when you first sign up, i always use them as it works out much cheaper and easier than me printing them myself.

orange photos, snapfish, jessops online etc.

Back