pricing error law/rights

biggles

DW Member ++
Reaction score
Hea all, i'll not mention any names but a company made a big mistake and reduced there sales prices by accident, all sale items over a certain amount had been reduced to 30 odd quid... everything, 3 grand+ items, YEP... 30 odd quid:BLOBBY:.

When i noticed this i checked a few things i fancied :) low and behold they were reduced :) (morally wrong yes, but that's another debate)

I had a think about it and decided i'm ordering these, i knew they would likely catch on so i ordered 2 items for collection as soon as the shop opened at 7am, that limited me as most things had to be collected next day and not same day, still i found 1 item i have wanted for ages and another i thought was handy for the price.

i ordered said items and collected them at 7am, when i got home i was surfing the website again and it went down for maintenance (unsurprisingly :Ha:) they have caught on like i knew they would and like i see time and again on hotdeals, the company have now emailed to say there was an error and they can't honor the price and i'll not receive my items, but i have them already, so where do i stand on this?? they didn't ask for the items to be returned YET.

i got 160 quids worth for 70 quid, things like that never happen for me so for now i'm happy but for how long?

I don't think there is a thing they can do once you walk with the receipt and goods, you bought them in good faith.

that's what i thought mate, i read the email and said to the wife "a bit late now" but i am now worried incase they charge my card...something i don't think they can do?

i'll also be easily found with my card details, but, it was a mistake they made and i snuck in before they found out, so really it's there fault regardless if i knew what i was doing... that's my take.

i could have robbed them blind,i could have hit the credit card and bought higher priced items, i did fancy a 480 quid item they had and i could have tried my hand but didn't want to push it.

Did you need to use any bank authentication? I don't think they can just decide to take more off your card anyway.

Once payment has been accepted and taken then the contract has been formed so your safe mate. ;)

Did you need to use any bank authentication? I don't think they can just decide to take more off your card anyway.

Well, they can, but it would be unlawful (per @IANB post) so you could quote Section 75 to the card provider and expect a refund. However, the supplier could make life difficult but I would just dig my heels in and make it clear that for the amount involved do they REALLY want all the sh*t you're prepared to send their way!

Last edited by a moderator:
Can they see the three digit verification code from the cart though?

Can they see the three digit verification code from the cart though?

Erm, that 3-digit code is BS they tell you to make you think it's all exclusive and secure lol

The key thing here is 'would a reasonable person have considered the price to be below that which could be reasonably expected'

The OP got items at somewhat better than 50% off, not unreasonable for sales at this time of year so could be reasonably expected to have believed the price to be genuine. As I said, dig heels in :)

I know they can take money without all the details but not having it makes it look like an unauthorised transaction.

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

I thought most used things like Verified by Visa now, that thing you get taken by surprise by and can't remember your password.

Yet you can still buy stuff online without the 3-digit code and if the PDQ is down when you whiz in to buy petrol they'll soon print a bit of paper to sign!

Thanks everyone, reassuring me, i did think i may have had a 'moral thing to do' comment on the thread so i'm relived to see there is none... yet

i paid by card, done my bank verification password and received an email stating to take the card to store , when at the store they had my items there and i had to insert the card into the chip and pin and enter my pin, that is the verification thats mentioned in the email .

i could have put it up on hot deals, i could have also got the dearest item/s possible to resell for profit... it crossed my mind and i did come home with 1 item in mind that was 90 quid reduced/glitched to a default £30 odd, then the site crashed just when it checked stock...it was in stock to lol :)

i'm chuffed to bit's, these things never happen to me, usually i do something found on hotdeals get to the till only to be embarrassed into buying a few things that did glitch for me and i couldn't really afford :( .

have to add :) there was a deal in game for the xbox earlier, got 40 quid credit for £25, very ,very lucky day

I think the only way they can approach you is to ask for the money. Technically speaking this is not a legal trade due to the law stating that a legal sale of goods has to be beneficial to both the seller and buyer. If I was you I would keep it, you have done nothing wrong

can now say it was screwfix that i got the items from,its all over the media now and they are honoring people who received or collected goods :)

Back