EON top up help needed

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Not long back I had a EON smart meter from a key meter fitted and topped up using the EON app. We received and email Fri saying you have now been moved over to EON next (the new company) and that login in online and top up your smart meter as usual. We downloaded the EON next app on the phone last night, managed to login and selected top up. Added £40 and it gave an error saying no internet connection or gremlins in the system please try again later.

So this morning we tried again same thing and it says the same. I rang up EON and they said you are no longer a EON customer and that we should have been informed of the take over but we weren't told of anything other than you have been moved. We contacted EON next and hour ago and explained we cant top up, this is were its gone crazy, she said"Oh you can't as we don't support that meter and we will have to put you a new meter in.

The smart meter is under 12 months and the V2 I was told. It has the small bluetooth handset looks like a tiny mobile. Does anyone know if this is right< millions of EON customers having smart meter taken out ? all at the same time ??. I asked for a call back from a manager as I didn't believe her. So were off out and no ones at home and a couple of quid on the meter and cant top up.

Is the EON next customer service woman correct?. The email I received said carry on as normal no need to do anything just top up as normal with the new EON next app.

Is the EON next customer service woman correct?

Can't help, but I wouldn't trust anything I was told by any energy supplier's customer service department. In my experience they're all fecking useless and haven't a clue. Two members of the same team will give you completely different answers to the same query. :mad:

Can anyone confirm that they can top up either with the EON next app or via their online account ?.
The guy reckons the app its faulty so you can't top up there and both him and me can't access top up section in my account.

When you select Top Up By Card the next screen goes blank.
If anyone has EON next can you try for me so I know if the faults everywhere or just my account. Been on hold over 90 mins back n forth Screenshot_20211115-125532_WhatsApp.jpg

No one can tell me m8, I have to go for a 2nd Covid now and my lads go it. Some guy put me on hold for 75 minutes a total call of 2hours I hung up , rang back waiting 30 mins same script back on hold

If anyone has the new "EON next"account for a smart meter and normally tops up online or app can you try it for me so I know if the faults everywhere or just my app/online account, thanks

Just had a call back and was informed that EON Next do not have the facility to top up EON smart meters either via with their new app or their new EON Next online account.
I thought at least I know. So I said to the girl, "So if I take a picture of the bar code that's on my meter and take it to the shop can the shop scan it and I can pay?"

(Now bare in mind I explained I had a smart meter fitted in March by EON and told her this)

She said

"Take your key"

I give up

Sorry I can't help but I remember the good old days when my supplier was East Midlands Electricity Board. There were no re-suppliers back then. The EMEB had a shop in most towns in their catchment area.
You could walk in and pay your bill or get help on any query. While you were in there you could view and perhaps buy a new washing machine or maybe just a kettle.

Don't get me wrong, I love being able to control most aspects of my day to day living via the internet. The only part they all got wrong was when someone such as yourself has an issue. Trying to talk to someone real is usually the 1st hurdle. Virtual assistants are a total waste of time and the amount of times I've found myself in the loop of continually being returned to the F.A.Q section is unreal.

Automation and the internet are fantastic but never can replace common sense that can only be conveyed face to face.

Right so it took 4.5 hours on the phone , un f*ckin real till I rang cut off's emergency who eventually sorted it. It turns out that, if you ported over to EON next from EON there's a chance your meter might not be registered with EON next therefor the options to top up on line and with the app wont be there.
4 assistants couldn't tell me this and the 2nd one didn't know what a smart meter was. When I told her she said I kid you f*ckin not:

"AHHHH right that's a good idea topping up online so you don't need to go to the shop, were did you get that ??"

SO warning, if you have a smart meter pay as u go and you've moved over to EON next and you can't top up using the app or your online EON next account top up section and the online an app top up section don't work and their i.e. blank/glitched ring EON on the emergencies number and get them to sort it 08085015088 ffs don't ring the switchboard.

You'd be better off ring McDonald's asking them they'd know more than EON next

Last edited:
You should have taken to social media like twitter...companies hate bad publicity..they would have sorted it out ...

I'm still waiting for octopus to show me my credit of £320 from avro..octopus can read my electricity smart meter but not my gas meter..🤪

I have spoken with our metering team about the issue you are having with your half-hourly gas readings.
Unfortunately, there is a known error at the moment whereby we are currently not receiving gas half-hourly readings for some of our customers. This is a temporary issue while we migrate our customers' smart meters onto our own data collection system.
Please bare with us while we work on a fix. We are still getting readings from the gas meter so we can still bill you accurately. It just might mean that for the time being, the half-hourly data is not viewable on your In House Display (IHD) or online account. We apologise for any inconvenience.

All the best!

Storm 🌞

That's the reply I got and was next-day as well, the credit will show soon , they are having problems getting all new customers sorted,
Seems to be one of the best out there , been with them a few years with no complaints from me
Storm from Octopus Energy​

@gez so your an ex avro customer?
I emailed octopus.energy and they said how far apart are the gas and electricity meter?🤔

Back