Port Scanning- illegal?

blinky3i

Inactive User
Reaction score
Is port scanning an illegal act in itself?, im not looking to do any hacking into peoples computer (honest!), just need to know so i don't get into any trouble (using nthell)
Ta.:angelwing

Had a quick search and apparently it's not illegal.

Scanning ports on a network don't actually damage it, they discover any vulnerabilities or weaknesses in the network.

Just done one, You'd be very surprised how many peoples c: drive you can look into, presumably as a result of sharing the root of the drive:pimp:

Although not specifically mentioned in the terms and conditions I believe that it is viewed as a breach as its usually seen as a prelude to hacking into someone else's equipment (which IS illegal)

is portscanning and hacking detectable by the cable co? or is it the hacked person that has to file an abuse claim?

portscanning is not illegal since all your doing is pinging a certain port but you could be in trouble if you get reported to your ISP more than a few times, you wouldnt be prosecuted they would just warn you then disconnect you.
if you just deny all knowledge and tell them you think your pc might have been infected/hacked they cant prove otherwise cos most hackers will run their scans from a hacked box :)
hacking attempts could be detected by your ISP but its unlikely if nobody has reported your ip
however if your going to be doing this stuff i suggest you google for an IP range blacklist which tells you a load of ranges to avoid that are owned by the military, fbi, government etc...
i wouldnt advise trying to hack computers you dont own if you dont know what your doing though cos it could land your ass in jail :(

what do you use to that:drink:

def Not be hacking into govt installations for sure!!, i just scanned my local ip range and as mentioned before surprising the number of open backdoors. Just found it quite interesting that i was actually able to do this, i won't be pursuing it because i would not like it to happen to me.
Thanks for the advice guy's:Smokin:

port scanning?

def Not be hacking into govt installations for sure!!, i just scanned my local ip range and as mentioned before surprising the number of open backdoors. Just found it quite interesting that i was actually able to do this, i won't be pursuing it because i would not like it to happen to me.
Thanks for the advice guy's:Smokin:

how do u do this?? sounds good.

quite common for hackers/rooters etc on irc to use tools that port scan and then connect to pc and then infect the pc and allow it to share warez on irc channels. The rooters can also setup autoroot kits that scan ip ranges and once the have a hit it automaticly roots the pc and so on. So infact it is not the rooter that is doing the scanning its another pc that has been previously rooted. even if pc is passworded they can still enter ur pc they use password scanners etc where it throws user and pass to pc and see if it can get a share. Quite a few sites on net that sell such kits .

theres ways way easier than subseven and i think this aint the place of such matters to be discussed, All i can say is keep your system upto date with m$ updates and Av (these can still be bypassed if the hacker really wanted to )be make sure your system is passworded and not easy ones like qwerty etc the amount of pc's out there that have no password or weak passwords.

No, port scanning isn't illegal...

You can check to see if your PC is secure by using GRC's Sheids Up! application. You can see how secure your PC / network is by running this excellent application.

Hope this helps somewhat... I've been using it for years.

port scanning is defintly not illegagl as i am a computer network security consultant i am one of many people that has scanned the whole internet every range it took nearly three months worth of scanning and yes nmap is the dogs so if your port scanning and come across a machine u try to enter with the default pass and whohay it lets u but this is classed as tresspassing and in the new cyber crime law could get extrodited with out causing any damage lol just think about gary mckinon hes in the states now for looking at nasa i must stress to every one if u are port scanning for unlawfull reason then use a little program called nmap u can get it for dos and also linux i prefer linux but if ur scanning nmap can be set up on a proxy so i advise to get you all using proxys cause this could land u in jail for a number of years lol but if your on the ball and u read this article scanning is cool but going on people machines is not so use a proxy if you wanna know more about proxys goto http://www.proxygod.net/ or http://www.proxygod.com cheers and be carefull wattsy

No, port scanning isn't illegal...

You can check to see if your PC is secure by using GRC's Sheids Up! application. You can see how secure your PC / network is by running this excellent application.

Hope this helps somewhat... I've been using it for years.

"Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet — solicited or otherwise — was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests. Your system ignored and refused to reply to repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests). From the standpoint of the passing probes of any hacker, this machine does not exist on the Internet. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system wisely remained silent in every way. Very nice."

"Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet — solicited or otherwise — was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests. Your system ignored and refused to reply to repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests). From the standpoint of the passing probes of any hacker, this machine does not exist on the Internet. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system wisely remained silent in every way. Very nice."

same for me lol

new download

Hey ive jus uplaoded a very interesting Ebook about Hacking both attacks and also how to defend your computer. Take a look . In MISC section

Back