Malware Pop ups

rawsy

DW F1 Champ 2010, 14, 19, 20 and 22
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I was hoping you could help me. My laptop is running windows7 . I'm getting pop ups on sites that don't have popups? I have checked and there is nothin visible installed that shouldn't be. I have run malware bytes and adw cleaner in safe mode and all they find are cookies. Something is amiss but I can't find what?

The popups appear with chrome and Firefox I haven't checked I.e because I don't use it.

Thanks

Edit. The popups only appear when something is clicked.

try adfender & admuncher both good free options

Also While using chrome install Adblock extension works 100% blocks all adds and popups..
Also install an uninstaller like iobit uninstaller and uninstall any toolbars and addons you don't want..if your getting popups then there is some adware installed that you don't know about..

You often have to run several tools to nail the little feckers, add Spybot and HijackThis to your list. Also, Kaspersky do a decent free ISO you can download, it's bootable from CD and you can (mostly) ignore warnings about NTFS filesystem not shut down correctly.

If you have important stuff on the HD then download a Live Linux CD (or Hirens) and copy stuff off before letting rip!

The 're-install Windows mantra' is a cop-out lol

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'd forgotten about spybot, I used to use it. I will click thanks as soon as the wife lets me on the laptop. Tapa still isn't allowing thanks.

ublock & no script a good choice as well

once system clean run admuncher adfender malware anti-exploit to start with

Just finished the 'laptop from hell' lol. Over 300 exploits, at one point had to enable the on-screen keyboard just to get in. It took Malwarebytes, Spybot, Kaspersky Root Kit, sfc etc to nail it but NO re-install :)

Also While using chrome install Adblock extension works 100% blocks all adds and popups..
Also install an uninstaller like iobit uninstaller and uninstall any toolbars and addons you don't want..if your getting popups then there is some adware installed that you don't know about..
@AJT is it just for chrome or is it availible in firefox

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm using adblock on firefox
1865-64.png

Available for multilple browsers adblock plus

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=f...hannel=sb&gfe_rd=cr&ei=zHlOVLW4Oe-q8wfh44HIAQ

@manic01
cheers i did see that earlier but i wasnt sure if it was the same as ajt was on about
anyway ive installed it cos i was naffed of with advert from youtube

Just curious- was (is) there a good reason for not re-installing? Seems an awful lot of work to nail the problem when a re-install would presumably have done it in one go. Or do you just like an educational challenge?

Just finished the 'laptop from hell' lol. Over 300 exploits, at one point had to enable the on-screen keyboard just to get in. It took Malwarebytes, Spybot, Kaspersky Root Kit, sfc etc to nail it but NO re-install :)

Just curious- was (is) there a good reason for not re-installing? Seems an awful lot of work to nail the problem when a re-install would presumably have done it in one go. Or do you just like an educational challenge?

I hate losing M8. To me, a re-install means I lose to the tw@ts that wrote the malware. True, I can't charge the customer for all the time I spent but I get more tools for the next one!

There's a bit of marketing in there too, HH can pretty much get any malware off, rescue pretty much any data and get through almost ALL security ;)

Last edited:
finally i tried all sorts of apps that found nothing. i ran hitman pro and it cleared it. it was the remnants of a nasty little git dynamic pricer. all done cheers guys.

omfg , the little git is back. it seems it has just given me a few days off. im at my wits end. even hitman says there is nothing on my lappy. im at a loss?? im lookng for the kaspersky is you mentioned @Him Her is it the rescue disk?

thanks

omfg , the little git is back. it seems it has just given me a few days off. im at my wits end. even hitman says there is nothing on my lappy. im at a loss?? im lookng for the kaspersky is you mentioned @Him Her is it the rescue disk?

thanks

Yes M8, here - Download Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10

You might also want to have a read of this:

Remove Dynamic Pricer ads “Ads by Dynamic Pricer†virus

Note that I haven't tested this but it looks sound so the usual precautions apply.
@rawsy

hate getting beat but sometimes best option is just to start from scratch

use wipe drive to erase then re-install

Yes M8, here - Download Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10

You might also want to have a read of this:

Remove Dynamic Pricer ads “Ads by Dynamic Pricer†virus

Note that I haven't tested this but it looks sound so the usual precautions apply.
@rawsy

i followed that dynamic pricer guid a while ago and it didnt do much appart from when i ran hitman. but then im back to square 1.

im in the process of making the kaspersky disk, cheers for the links though.

im not willing to give up just yet although there might be a laptop shaped hole in my living room window before the weekend is through lol

Thing to remember with PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs) is they often install backdoors so it's important to remove all the parts finishing with the browser. Go get the little fecker!

trust me when I say this will get rid of them;-

download zeok from here = Download zoek.exe version 5.0.0.0

make sure "scan all users" is ticked near the bottom

copy/paste this script into zeok main window

createsrpoint;
autoclean;
emptyalltemp;
ipconfig /flushdns;b

Make sure no browsers are open or any programs are running in the background (msconfig) click "run script" and just let it do its business , can take around 10 minutes, don't touch it even if you think it has frozen. You will get a reboot message when it's done then after reboot it woill give you a report showing what it found and cleaned.

after the reboot I then ran Adwcleaner 4.101 to clean up the files left behind ( which there are a few) and make sure to look in the adwcleaner folders and anything you want rid of it's ticked :-

servers-folders-files-shortcut-scheduled task-registry-internet explorer-firefox-chrome

click "clean" ...reboot and it hopefully should have gone.

Back