[plumbers & electricians] question on water heaters

dibbers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
chaps, OK come to my attention that I've been heating hot water for 7 hours a go during the night (Economy 7) and then a 2 hour boost in the afternoon, i know the heater won't be full pelt all the time as the thermostat will kick in, but it's a whopping 117 liters = 25 gallon! :FRIGHT: and it's a 3kw

So I'm thinking of not using it and fitting a couple of under bench unvented water heaters, one in the kitchen and then one in the bathroom, shower to be fitted later.

now what I've been looking at is a 3 to 5 kw under bench water heater that will give you instant hot water, i don't like the hand washing ones and after all i need it to fill a sink with hot water for cleaning/dishes.....so I've been told that the best one to get is a one that will store about 5 liters and then heat it and then use that, but i was thinking that a one like a shower that doesn't store water and heats it as the water passes through would be better.

Ive been working out that the you get charged by the kw, so for 1000w hour I'd get charged a unit, so...

burn a 100w light bulb for 10 hours = 1 x unit
1000w x 1 hour = unit
2000w x 30 minutes = unit

so a 3000w x 25 gallon hater that is on for 7 hours i work it out at 15 minutes for a unit of electric......and then times that by how many times it kicks in heating over a 7 hour period....:FRIGHT:

if i buy one of the under bench heaters and run that either with a reservoir and heat for 20 - 30 minutes for hot water or get one that dose instant hot water like a shower i must end up saving a packet.

with the rest of the place being all electric you can imagine that it's starting to get quite expensive....

i worked out that alone all the stuff i have in the sitting room that is on standby is even using about 150w of electric when it's not doing any thing.....so that's 150 w x 24 hours x 365 days a year for what? to see the LEDS.....time to start saving me thinks...

The water pressure isn't that good where i live some times....so i am thinking it would be best to get a reservoir one rather than a one that does instant water.......can i get a pressure tester and see if i meet the basic requirements?

any way....here's a few i been looking at......

Redring RP1 9.5kw Powerstream Water Heaters

that one there needs The operating pressure is 15-150psi and the kw loading at 230~240v is 8.7kw - 9.5kw.

so where do i get a water pressure tester from or loan and will this need to be run to the Consumer Unit with it's own feed, getting a new kitchen fitted and might as well go all out with the above, going to fit one to the bathroom and then as i say a shower as long as i have enough water pressure.....don't want to be in one of them situation when some one used to turn the cold tap on and the shower would go molten lava all over and when you jump back you wrap the freezing cold shower curtain aroun you.....lolol

Last edited:
Have you thought about adding a solar heating panel to the roof mate ?

I know its a little bit expensive mate but it will heat to 40C even on a cloudy day mate!!!!

I have helped fit one of these and was amazed at the heat that was produced.

Mickie

ah i'd love too.!! can see one out my window.....i do face south all day and then in the afternoon the kitchen and the other sitting room windows face west so i get the sun all the time.... but i should have stated i'm 8 floors up in an appartment, but solar is the way too go like if i could.....

Last edited:
Apparently Redring Powerstreams aren't suitable for filling baths or kitchen sinks (according to the manufacturers), just basins and mixer showers.

Mind you, there's plenty of examples on the net where people are doing just that:
Electrical Installation Matters

Even at 9.5KW (or 12 for the largest), you'll only use any electric when you turn on a tap (5-10 secs for hand wash, 5 mins for shower, 10-15 mins for a bath?), so its going to beat heating a tank for 9 hours a day hands down really.

Its true Solar would be ideal though.

If you do go with the Redring Powerstream, the cheapest price I can see is here

Thanks for that post mate, so people are using them to fill baths with, nice one.... so i'll buy one for under the sink in the kitchen and then get one for the bath room that will do the hand basin and the bath then i'll get a shower installed at a later date......

just a quick question, do u not have gas? a combi boiler would do this for you better and more efficiently or a condensor boiler is even more efficient.

Back