Please help, Upgrade gone wrong!

ye sounds like a softmod to me to can you take the hardrive and dvdrom out just to see if there is a chip in there m8

I shall open it up and look for a chip tonight, I assume the chip (if there) is easy to spot? I must admit I suspect a softmod as when I got it back (after spending £60) it looked unopened, the seals were all intact and the feet looked untouched – I just assumed it was a professional job, I guess I’ll know for sure tonight (after I open it) just hope the stall at Bowlers will sort it out as the only evidence I have is a raffle ticket! (used to identify the XBOX)

Someone asked earlier if it boots games etc. It acts like a regular XBOX in every way, no problem with games.

Cheers all!

Just been reading a few other posts (trying to educate myself on this XBOX modding lark!) I do have access to another modded XBOX and I have a full back up of the playing up XBOX, could I restore the playing up XBOX hard drive in the other modded machine?

(does that make any sense!!!)

i think you need to get your money back m8. but you need to softmod it agan m8 have you got a memory card for the xbox

jase02476 said:
i think you need to get your money back m8. but you need to softmod it agan m8 have you got a memory card for the xbox

I am going to take it back on Saturday and get them to fix it...think I'll have any problems as I've opened it?

no you carnt restore the playing up XBOX hard drive in the other modded machine you can save things on the memory card from the modded xbox and put them on your xbox but you will need the splinter cell game aswell as a memory card

ssmacc said:
I am going to take it back on Saturday and get them to fix it...think I'll have any problems as I've opened it?

thats what i would do m8 i dont think you will have any problems just tell him what you tryed to do put evox on it and it fu*ked up so you thort it was the d0 connection so you opened it to see if it was and there was no chip so you want some of your money back a softmod should only cost from £10 to £20 m8 but ye if i was you i would take it back

jase02476 said:
thats what i would do m8 i dont think you will have any problems just tell him what you tryed to do put evox on it and it fu*ked up so you thort it was the d0 connection so you opened it to see if it was and there was no chip so you want some of your money back a softmod should only cost from £10 to £20 m8 but ye if i was you i would take it back

I will do, thanks for all your help (and everyone else) I’ll have a quick look for a chip tonight and take it back regardless.

I’m new to this forum and very happy I stumbled across it!

when you do open it the chip will be under the dvdrom if you have a look at this it will give you some idea what to look for it will be in the same place as the red chip if you have got nothing there and you have just got some holes there it ent chiped m8

jase02476 said:
when you do open it the chip will be under the dvdrom if you have a look at this it will give you some idea what to look for it will be in the same place as the red chip if you have got nothing there and you have just got some holes there it ent chiped m8

Again thanks a lot for the pics! I’ve just opened and I’m very confident there is no chip in there (see pic – excuse the dust!). I shall be taking it back to Bowlers on Saturday and having a serious word…although I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume its an honest mistake.

It was the first XBOX chipping stall as you walk in, don’t suppose anyone knows the name or has a contact number for them? (I know that’s a long shot!)

Thanks everyone, I feel much better knowing I haven’t ruined it!

Last edited:
no theres no chip there m8 i tryed looking for a phone number but i could not find one is it an xbox stall at Bowlers in Manchester you need to get it back befor he bugers off m8

Update!

Took the XBOX back had a Chip fitted no problem (CTI Technology). However, just when in thought it was all over another problem! Got the XBOX back and it now won’t boot into the M$ Dashboard? (I’m getting sick off this!)

What’s the easiest way of knowing the Chip is working and that it isn’t just softmodded again (I am networked to the XBOX if that helps)

Cheers

gopher2005 said:
first thing i would back up your c drive to your pc cuz u never no have you tryed to install evox?

Just backing up now!

Evox 2.6 is already on, I’m going to install a bigger hard drive but I don’t want to if its going to resort to the M$ dashboard (like it did last time I tried it), just want to know the chip is working OK as the guy seemend to have a couple of goes at soldering it…didn’t fill me with confidence!

ssmacc said:
Just backing up now!

Evox 2.6 is already on, I’m going to install a bigger hard drive but I don’t want to if its going to resort to the M$ dashboard (like it did last time I tried it), just want to know the chip is working OK as the guy seemend to have a couple of goes at soldering it…didn’t fill me with confidence!

ok try playing a game a backup should still play even with the error message? also when you get ur dash working go into apps and back up your c again as this will give you all you eeprom and hard drive lock keys.

Last edited:
gopher2005 said:
ok try playing a game a backup should still play even with the error message? also when you get ur dash working go into apps and back up your c again as this will give you all you eeprom and hard drive lock keys.

Back ups work no problem, there is no error message by the way, its just the fact I can’t boot into anything but the Evox dash which I assume will be a problem if the XBOX every wants to go on live

ok mate thats good 2 hear its sound like the chip is workin ok from evox dash go to system managment the you should see the option ms dash board-use to change time/date that should get you into the ms dash board just thought id ask does ur chip have a switch cuz you cant play xbox live with a chip ul get banned? i use xlink kia its free just as good as xbox live?

It will play an original game and I can get into the M$ dashboard and change system settings, still not sure if it’s a softmod (the chip is in but might not be working?). Concerns me that I can only boot into the EVOX Dashboard?

I’m just about to upgrade the hard drive, I assume this will cause no problems as I’m going to ftp the old C and E drive back once I’ve formatted the new drive in the XBOX? (following the xbox-scene guide)

Back