Perfect 500 streaming

Hi Velvit, mozr,
After a reboot, you have to again kill inetd & start the new /var/etc/inetd.conf in order to map to the new streamts that should still be in /var/bin. If you like you can put a file "init" in /var/etc which should be invoked at startup and contains the commands:
killall inetd
inetd /var/etc/inetd.conf

This should save you haveing to do the kill & restart of inetd after every boot!

Try using the following VLC command to view & record also (it may well be better at streaming than web-x-tv):
vlc.exe http://192.168.0.24:31339 :sout=#duplicate{dst=display,dst=std{access=file,m ux=ts,url=c:\jk.ts}}

Change to ip addr of your box & the name of the file you want to record to instead of jk.ts

Hey mozr, that's decadent - watching "A clockwork orange" in the bath!

I found streamts to be nearly perfect but Zapstream is visually perfect. Maybe there are more mods that can be done to streamts that can bring it up to speed (the buffer issues above for instance?)

i edited init d as above and deleted everything else.now i get no audio or pic on bootup(which i quite like) but when i ps to the box it is running the new initd but also the old one,when i tried to ftp to the box to delete the old one,it wont let me?so as far as i can tell both streams are running in tandem and the pic is the same as before

i edited init d as above and deleted everything else.now i get no audio or pic on bootup(which i quite like) but when i ps to the box it is running the new initd but also the old one,when i tried to ftp to the box to delete the old one,it wont let me?so as far as i can tell both streams are running in tandem and the pic is the same as before

So you created a file "init" in /var/etc which contains above lines to avoid having to kill old inetd and restart new inetd every time you boot up.

So "init" isn't killing the old inetd? but is starting the new inetd? OK manually kill the old inetd - does web-x-tv work now?

Edit: Oops I forgot that you can't telnet to box - what do you mean that you "deleted everything"?

Last edited:
So you created a file "init" in /var/etc which contains above lines to avoid having to kill old inetd and restart new inetd every time you boot up.

So "init" isn't killing the old inetd? but is starting the new inetd? OK manually kill the old inetd - does web-x-tv work now?

Edit: Oops I forgot that you can't telnet to box - what do you mean that you "deleted everything"?

i can telnet.i opened the old init file,and it had commands for the boot up audio and i deleted them all and added the line you gave me,.

i manually killed the old inedt by telnet there and now web x shows nothing.the only things running in telnet now are:

/bin/sh /etc/init.d/rcS

inetd /var/etc/initd.conf

Last edited:
No velvit,
In the Helenite image there's no init in /var/etc (forgot you were on DW image) so I meant you to create one with these commands in it which would then run after bootup - this is only needed if you are fed up killing inetd & starting new /var/etc/inetd.conf after every boot.

I din't expect you'd find init in /var/etc/ so I didn't mean for you to delete the commands already in it.

You have removed the init script for your image - does anybody have this file to upload here so you can ftp it back to your box or else you will need to reflash

init is attached unmodified from dw 1.6.5

it seems to work fine without the init script.only the boot audio and picture seem to be affected

it seems to work fine without the init script.only the boot audio and picture seem to be affected

Leave your existing init script alone & just type in the commands I gave, after you have booted your box and telnetted to it
killall inetd
inetd /var/etc/inetd.conf

Now when you run web-x-tv or the VLC script I gave, the new streamts will be launched as a process instead of the old streamts process.

You don't need to type in these two commands again unless you reboot the box.

How is the streaming? Less errors, glitches than before? let us know when you have it working.

mozr, how is your streaming now?

Edit: Is there a way to turn off TV display in this DW image? I was wondering if streaming & recording would work better with this option?

Last edited:
doesnt work.getting really frustrating now.i have put the old init file back untouched.i telented to the box killed ithe init.that went ok,then i noticed initd.conf was already running but i typed in the command anyway and dont get anything,even tried with out typing start the init.conf cause it was already running but alas nothing,

doesnt work.getting really frustrating now.i have put the old init file back untouched.i telented to the box killed ithe init.that went ok,then i noticed initd.conf was already running but i typed in the command anyway and dont get anything,even tried with out typing start the init.conf cause it was already running but alas nothing,

No, no read carefully - kill inetd process not init process - that's why inetd.conf was already running, it's this you should have killed.

Careful with your i's (eyes lol)!!!

Last edited:
No, no read carefully - kill inetd process not init process - that's why inetd.conf was already running, it's this you should have killed.

Careful with your i's (eyes lol)!!!

thats what i did kill,i just spelt it wrong when posting lol

Ah, sorry about that - and you say the new streamts doesn't make any difference? I think you might be doing something wrong

We may well be able to use the zapstream module in your image (not just Helenite) - I'm asking the developer at the moment, how to do this, if possible

Edit: Try the VLC script - it works everytime & records at the same time
vlc.exe http://192.168.0.24:31339 :sout=#duplicate{dst=display,dst=std{access=file,mux=ts,url=c:\jfk.ts}}

Last edited:
Yep, zapstream can be used with any image but only with VLC instead of web-x-tv

vlc.exe http://192.168.0.24:31344 :sout=#duplicate{dst=display,dst=std{access=file,m ux=ts,url=c:\jfk.ts}}

So do this:
1)Copy zapstream into /var/bin
2) Copy inetd.conf to /var/etc/
3) telnet to your DM500
4) chmod 755 /var/bin/zapstream
5) ps
6) kill < pid for inetd > ( use the pid shown in ps )
7) inetd /var/etc/inetd.conf

Optional step to record the log from zapstream:
If you create stream.log in /tmp/log & give write access zapstream will record a detailed log. Remember to delete this before it grows too big otherwise image will freeze

Attached file contains both zapstream & new inetd.conf

Edit: Can anybody change the above VLC command for display only & record only?

Last edited:
The Final piece of the jigsaw - these are the templates from the helenite image which allows zapstream to work with web-x-tv. They have been downloaded from /var/tuxbox/config/enigma/templates so on another image I presume they would go in the same place?

They two are scripts (one for Firefox & one for IE) which are started by web-x-tv & start the VLC plugin to show the stream on PC screen.

You'll probably need to create one - I haven't tried this yet, so don't know if it works.
But remember VLC script above will work even without the templates.

This opens up the possibility of running zapstream on Gemini V4.0 which has the option to turn off TV display - I beleive this should remove the last vestiges of minor errors which are showing up on analysis of recordings - for instance: (these don't bother my viewing but for completeness)

File Size Processed: 1.75 GB, Play Time: 01h:15m:18s
720 x 576, 25.00 fps, 7.98 Mbps (2.90 Mbps Average).
Average Video Quality: 14.18 KB/Frame, 0.28 Bits/Pixel.
MPEG Audio.
5 of 112964 video frames found with errors.
0 of 0 audio frames found with errors.
41941 corrupted video bytes in file.

Here's a later Zapstream & all script files in a zip file - I wanted to upload it as a tgz file so it could be used directly in the software management section of any image but I can't do that in this forum

Here's a later Zapstream & all script files in a zip file - I wanted to upload it as a tgz file so it could be used directly in the software management section of any image but I can't do that in this forum

Just name the file .tgz.zip and then tell people to rename to .tgz only

Thanks pt-1, forgot that,
here's the version you should use - I'm told the last one has problems with some channels?

As pt-1 said just rename it from zapstream.8.tgz.zip file to zapstream.tar.gz in order to install it manually in your image. Just move it to /tmp & run manual install as you would any other manual plugin, I think

Here's what it contains (everything you need for zapstream):

/var/bin/zapstream
/var/etc/init
/var/etc/inetd.conf
/var/tuxbox/config/enigma/templates/webxtvfirefox.tmp
/var/tuxbox/config/enigma/templates/webxtvMSIE.tmp

Edit: You'll still need to chmod zapstream,init & inetd.conf to 555

Last edited:
Just got in and started messing about.

I have installed zapstream, telneted the commands and have got 4 'streampes' processes running.

Does that mean zapstream is running?

I am using TuxvisionR cos I cat get VLC, or web x tv working.

Running gemini 4.00

Back