Perfect 500 streaming

digital worldz 1.6.5

Ok, when you run web-x-tv does a streamts process show in the process list?
If so take a note of it's size & copy over the new streamts & inetd.conf as above & follow steps 1-7, leave out 6.

stop web-x-tv & stop streamts if it hasn't then stopped.

try web-x-tv & check the streamts process - is it different to the previous - then you're running the new streamts - is streaming any better?

Edit: I'm going off-air shortly to watch the EnglandVFrance match where I expect England will be going home

Last edited:
dw 1.6.5 shows this after PS dweeb

-------------------------------------------------------------

PID Uid VmSize Stat Command
1 root 516 S init
2 root SWN [ksoftirqd/0]
3 root SW< [events/0]
4 root SW< [khelper]
5 root SW< [kblockd/0]
6 root SW [pdflush]
7 root SW [pdflush]
9 root SW< [ai
8 root SW [kswapd0]
10 root SW [cifsoplockd]
11 root SW [mtdblockd]
13 root 516 S init
14 root 552 S /bin/sh /etc/init.d/rcS
20 root SWN [jffs2_gcd_mtd1]
27 root SW< [fe_thread]
48 root 600 S /sbin/inetd
70 root 1300 S /var/bin/emu/evocamd
71 root 7436 S /bin/enigma
72 root 7436 S N /bin/enigma
73 root 7436 S N /bin/enigma
74 root 7436 S /bin/enigma
85 root 7436 S N /bin/enigma
115 nobody 752 S in.ftpd
117 root 852 S in.ftpd
120 root 404 S telnetd
121 root 672 S -sh
124 root 612 R ps

---------------------------------------------

Cannot see a inetd PS to send the kill command.

Im also using 1.6.5 at the moment.

EDIT: LOL. after pasting it in i can see that number 48 has inetd in it.

Im gonna try.

Well played England - you stuffed Le Bleu, Who would have thunk!

cant belive it,all the irish commentaters and alot of us were up for england.i wasnt purely becuase of the boring game they play.the french bottled it,if they played like they can they would have hammered them.oh well,you guyts deserved the win:)

Ok, when you run web-x-tv does a streamts process show in the process list?
If so take a note of it's size & copy over the new streamts & inetd.conf as above & follow steps 1-7, leave out 6.

stop web-x-tv & stop streamts if it hasn't then stopped.

try web-x-tv & check the streamts process - is it different to the previous - then you're running the new streamts - is streaming any better?

Edit: I'm going off-air shortly to watch the EnglandVFrance match where I expect England will be going home

if you are talking abou the task manager process list,then no stream ts doesnt show up?when i use web-x-tv

Hey, Velvit,
There must be a process that is started for web-x-tv to work - does web-x-tv work, even choppy picture?
What I mean is when you telnet to the box do a PS command as mozr above and list the process here

Edit:pS I wasn't up for England, just wanted to see a good match (not that this was) but fair play to them they got a lot of turnover ball and Johnny came through for them yet again. The French didn't seem to be able to play their expansive game & this was down to how well England stiffled them - as I said fair play, who would have thunk. That's the great drama about sport - human endeavour with no script - anything can happen

Last edited:
Some of us might even remember the good old Comodore C64 were the manufacturer said that only 8 Sprites are possible .... They have been proved wrong but that is a long while ago ;-)
Heh, good call. I can't think of any hardware that has been forced to perform as far above and beyond its intended specs as the Commodore line of computers has. :)

its the same as mozr exept his pid 48 is my 47.i was trying there i type kill 47,kill <47>,kill47.none of them work,sjould i get a signal somehting has happened

its the same as mozr exept his pid 48 is my 47.i was trying there i type kill 47,kill <47>,kill47.none of them work,sjould i get a signal somehting has happened

Hi Velvit,
if after kill 47 you do another PS you will see process 47 is gone. Then type in
inetd /var/etc/inetd.conf and this will start another inetd process but with your inetd.conf in which streamts is pointing to the new streamts iin /var/sbin/. So now, when you do a web-x-tv it will start the new streamts instead of the old one.

Hope that's clear?

"killall inetd" is a easier way to to it.

obwan

Here's something from Snakehand who modded streamts about recording:

The main observation that I did when I looked at the 500 recording, was that the capture buffer and write buffer were not the same size. Somehow the recording code was expected to write 2x as faster to the network, than the demux buffer filled up. ( Something like writing 1mb of data, with only 512kb of available capture buffer ) With so much CPU being used for pushing data to the network device, the capture buffer will easily overflow.

Maybe this can help the analysis of the code?

Hi Velvit,
if after kill 47 you do another PS you will see process 47 is gone. Then type in
inetd /var/etc/inetd.conf and this will start another inetd process but with your inetd.conf in which streamts is pointing to the new streamts iin /var/sbin/. So now, when you do a web-x-tv it will start the new streamts instead of the old one.

Hope that's clear?

ok did all that,worked perfectly,its started the new process.then the web x tv wouldnt work so i rebooted and now the web x tv is working fine,only problem is when i type in ps i realised its using the old process again!does it not save that i told it to use the new process?

No it doesn't - you'll need to kill inetd & start the /var/etc/inetd process again.

Did you stop web-x-tv, then do step 7, then start web-x-tv & check PS to see new streamts running?

thats what did,and the new process was showing in telnet but the web x tv was showing no picture,so i rebooted the box and the old process is back,i though it would rember the new process?

I have streamts running now using dreamview 0.14. Im still getting artifacts and some channels won't load (nothign to do with encryption, some work some don't), but it does sem to be much better than previously.

Ive been watching clockwork orange for an hour in the bath and audio and video is still in sync!

It remembered streamts module after reboot too.

:edit: oh yeah, web-x-tv giving me nothign but problems.

Last edited:
Hi Velvit, mozr,
After a reboot, you have to again kill inetd & start the new /var/etc/inetd.conf in order to map to the new streamts that should still be in /var/bin. If you like you can put a file "init" in /var/etc which should be invoked at startup and contains the commands:
killall inetd
inetd /var/etc/inetd.conf

This should save you haveing to do the kill & restart of inetd after every boot!

Try using the following VLC command to view & record also (it may well be better at streaming than web-x-tv):
vlc.exe http://192.168.0.24:31339 :sout=#duplicate{dst=display,dst=std{access=file,m ux=ts,url=c:\jk.ts}}

Change to ip addr of your box & the name of the file you want to record to instead of jk.ts

Hey mozr, that's decadent - watching "A clockwork orange" in the bath!

I found streamts to be nearly perfect but Zapstream is visually perfect. Maybe there are more mods that can be done to streamts that can bring it up to speed (the buffer issues above for instance?)

I have streamts running now using dreamview 0.14. Im still getting artifacts and some channels won't load (nothign to do with encryption, some work some don't), but it does sem to be much better than previously.

Ive been watching clockwork orange for an hour in the bath and audio and video is still in sync!

It remembered streamts module after reboot too.

:edit: oh yeah, web-x-tv giving me nothign but problems.

dont let it fall into the bath,or you might get a nasty shock lol

And there was me thinking it was perfectly normal to watch films in a bubble bath with a glass of red wine, on my lappy.

Which reveals that my testing will be of wireless streaming (although it is a weird set up. the dbox itself is wireless via a hacked wrt54g router).

I get this process in ps

133 root 472 S streamts -ts

I assume then, that this is the old streamts after a reboot?

I will try vlc with that url after ive manualy started the new streamts for testing. Probably tonight, when the wifes gone to bed. Then more dbox/bath action!

Ah jeez mozr stay out of the bath, it's just not normal what you're doing!!!!!!!!!

Mmm, don't know how good this will be with wireless streaming, considering when I look at my wired connection the traffic can get to 1.2MBytes/sec, that's approaching 10mbits/sec - can wireless handle this?

Ah jeez mozr stay out of the bath, it's just not normal what you're doing!!!!!!!!!

Mmm, don't know how good this will be with wireless streaming, considering when I look at my wired connection the traffic can get to 1.2MBytes/sec, that's approaching 10mbits/sec - can wireless handle this?

wireless can do that, its normal to get 3MB/sec on wireless (54G)

Back