pc wont boot up

jammoboss

Inactive User
Reaction score
I have had the problem for a good few weeks now.

spec
Intel core2 extreme cpu
Asus p5q deluxe mb
4 gig ocz ddr2 memory
500 gig maxtor sata hd
nvidia 8800 gc
a 1010 watt ocz psu

What's happening is when I turn the machine on by the power nothing is happening, the fans are on and I can hear the hard drive but no beep on boot up, I out the power and try again and again and again. It took me almost 15 attempts two days ago to boot it up.

I opened the pc and decided to do remove memory, cpu/fan hard drive and try again. It sometimes works first time and other times it wont.

I am also getting the killer blue now I got windows 7 and as it auto resets I am stuck trying to get it to boot up again.

can any help, is this a motherboard problem?

Check your RAM with MemTest (memtest.org/download) first of all 'cos that's quick, easy and free...! ;) Let it run at least one full cycle, which can take a while depending your RAM etc. If it errors, swap sticks about until you find the faulty one.

If the RAM comes back as OK, I'd suspect the PSU is not delivering properly on one of the power rails. If you can swap out with a another PSU of similar power that "should" help determine if it's a PSU thing or not. Try not to buy cheap PSU's as they're vital to the entire system, and are often the root cause of many a problem. (In my experience.)

After that, I'd be looking at the CPU, or Mobo. Again, swapping bits out with alternatives will pin it down. Not always an option I appreciate.

That's the way I work anyway, but then I do this sort of stuff a fair bit, so have the bits and bobs knocking around.

I would also try reseting the BIOS and changing the battery if your system is more then a few years old.

But if the problem is intermitted my first guess would be PSU though OCZ are a well known brand and I have not heard of them having a general reliability issue though of you are always going to get the one off failures.

I have had the problem for a good few weeks now.

spec
Intel core2 extreme cpu
Asus p5q deluxe mb
4 gig ocz ddr2 memory
500 gig maxtor sata hd
nvidia 8800 gc
a 1010 watt ocz psu

What's happening is when I turn the machine on by the power nothing is happening, the fans are on and I can hear the hard drive but no beep on boot up, I out the power and try again and again and again. It took me almost 15 attempts two days ago to boot it up.

I opened the pc and decided to do remove memory, cpu/fan hard drive and try again. It sometimes works first time and other times it wont.

I am also getting the killer blue now I got windows 7 and as it auto resets I am stuck trying to get it to boot up again.

can any help, is this a motherboard problem?

Faulty voltage regulator (motherboard)?

thanks for all your help, after a fresh windows 7 with drivers from the branded sites and the tests you gave it still happened, but i decided to remove one of my memory sticks and since then it has booted up first time and doesnt reboot in windows.

I cant remember if i said but i was having the pysical memory dump blue screen with it restarting when in windows.

What i dont understand is the ram i took out works fine by itself, as i use both ram sticks its the killer blue screen and it wont boot up wierd?

Glad you managed to sort the problem out. Even in this day and age, there are plenty of compatibility issues with memory that I see all the time. As you say often works fine on its own but not in mis-matched pairs.

Back