PayPal Fees?

Redgun71

DW Regular ++
Reaction score
Does anyone know about Paypal fees?

From what I read a seller must pay Paypal 10% of the winning bid up to a maximum of £40.
The reason I ask is that I've been looking at some expensive watches and some of the sellers are looking to be paid by cash as they don't want to incur Paypal charges, a maximum of £40 fee seems reasonable on say a £2000 watch.

Although I myself did feel a bit short change today (it did not significantly hurt my pocket) as I bought an Ebay item only for the seller to contravene one or two of Ebay rules (not known), Ebay withdrew the listing and as I already paid I ask the seller for my money back.
When I check my Paypal account the seller did refund the full amount but Paypal charged me approx 4% of the refund money.

How can they charge me for a refund?
Have they made money from both the seller and buyer?

looks like you have been paid back rather than refunded as refund should have all the money back

when yu get a refund via paypal, yop get refunded IN FULL, the seller has sent you the refund MINUS his paypal fees, which he wouldnt get charged on a refund anyway, but he has kept those to cover the ebay fees, opening a paypal dispute will see you get this bit back

Ebay rules are that they have to offer and accept paypal payments. If you are not happy try an alternative retailer and pay directly on a Credit Card for section 75 protection. (Paypal, Google Checkout etc are exempt from section 75 due to the way the transactions are performed.)

As for the refund, Paypal only take payments on "money owed" payments. Gifts and refunds are exempt (or at least were last I checked). So I would guess the seller has refunded you incorrectly or done as Digi has suggested.

i just got an email this morning from paypal that i now have to wait 21 days for the money to clear if i recieve payment from someone?

wtf?????

nothing to do with sitting in their account gathering interest by any chance??

Paypal.....bunch of scamming morons

And on that note i will be closing my paypal account,why the f""k should i wait 3 weeks for payment??

so when i sell something on ebay, i have to ship the parcel before i get paid??? paypal can go f""k em selves, i will never ship a parcel without payment 1st

Last edited:
i just got an email this morning from paypal that i now have to wait 21 days for the money to clear if i recieve payment from someone?

wtf?????

And on that note i will be closing my paypal account,why the f""k should i wait 3 weeks for payment??

so when i sell something on ebay, i have to ship the parcel before i get paid??? paypal can go f""k em selves, i will never ship a parcel without payment 1st

I've sold many things on 4 different paypal accounts and only got a message like that once when someone decided to pay by e-cheque.

If you paypal account is in good order and the buyer pays in the normal method then the payment should clear instantly.

Thanks for the replies, I know I should make a claim for the full amount but their "fee" didn't hurt my pocket (less than a pound).
I've only just started buying things off Ebay, so don't know all the rules/regulations and have only been a buyer and not a seller.

wtf?????

is this for an ebay sale?

i believe that they changed their system so that if a buyer leaved good feedback, the money is released to you straight away, but if the buyer leaves NO feedback, you have to wait 21 days for it to clear in case of a dispute

i stopped selling on ebay a very long time ago, as there are too many buyers out to rip off honest sellers, and the place is a buyers paradise for scamers

Ebay/Paypal are becoming a nightmare to sell stuff on. As Digi says the buyer has you over a barrell with regards to what they can do and still get there money back. The fees are also becoming a joke aswell and are putting off people from selling on there.

i still use paypal, but refuse to sell ANYTHING via ebay

i used to have a full on ebay store, the works, one of the items i had was 'supply AND INSTALL' a motorised satellite system. someone then decided to put in a 'not delivered' claim for one

even though i had a jobsheet with the address, signed as installed by the buyer / customer and pictures of the equipment in the customers house, bacause i could not supply a tracking number for the delivery, as i had delivered it myself, the buyer got refunded IN FULL

i closed my ebay shop the same day and have not sold a single item there since

Back