Hardware P.A.T Testing a laptop???

shaun127

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
We Don't Do Walking Away. I would rather die with
Just had a conversation with someone who said " that to pat test a laptop they didnt need the lappy just the charger and Fig8 mains lead"

Advice please I would have thought they needed the lappy connected when testing??

From elsewhere
Laptops do not need to be PAT Tested as they are designed to be charged and used independently of their power packs.

The Power Pack and all associated leads do require PAT Testing.

I think a a visual check of laptop should be made though as well imo.

I asked for clarification on this before , I was told they should be tested because they have the ability to work without a battery with the charger plugged in.

I test them if they are there, bit of a waste of time though, never seen a laptop fail unless it's physically damaged..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can't test a lappy with an external psu although you CAN test the psu with the lappy connected.

Not the same thing though is it? The psu is switch-mode so if you bung the PAT tester on no current/voltage appears at the output.

Anyway, it's a Class II test which is only an insulation test in any case.

Waste of time M8!

You can't test a lappy with an external psu although you CAN test the psu with the lappy connected.

Not the same thing though is it? The psu is switch-mode so if you bung the PAT tester on no current/voltage appears at the output.

Anyway, it's a Class II test which is only an insulation test in any case.

Waste of time M8!

you can do a load test which will switch the lappy on briefly,
but agreed waste of time.. :)

Back