Sensible Topic organ donation

buzzer

Staff member
Reaction score
If you live in Wales, the law has changed regarding organ donation.

when you die, it will be assumed you give consent for your organs to be used for transplant unless you opt out.
Organ donation law 'revolution' starts in Wales - BBC News

This raises a few points imho, Just wondered what other members make of this...

for me, I don't give a shit what happens to my body when i die, but i think i would have a hard time regarding my kids organs being used, if they died young...

Just wondered what everyone's thoughts were on this difficult subject..

I see were your coming from @buzzer but if people have that strong a view on organs not beig used then they have the option to opt out. not sure if they could harvest childrens organs without parental consent will have to have a read at that. Or do the parent or guardian have to do an opt out.

If that's the case then I don't like it tbh.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, it should always be "opt-in" rather than having to opt-out.

If organ harvesting is the default it could remove impetus for medical staff keeping you alive knowing that your bits and pieces will be doled out to several other people.

Maybe I'll change my mind if I make it to 75 and want to live longer by wanting my brain transplanted into a twenty year old body donor.

Bit clearer on BBc website copy n pasted a bit

For people aged 18 and over who have lived in Wales for more than 12 months - and who die in Wales
◾A person will become a potential donor either by registering their decision to opt in - as they do currently - or by doing nothing at all, in which case their consent may be deemed
◾If families knew their loved one did not wish to be an organ donor - even if they had not opted out - they will still be able to tell doctors and donation will not take place

So you can still block it if you want and its for over 18's

So yes I think its a good scheme

I see were your coming from @buzzer but if people have that strong a view on organs not beig used then they have the option to opt out. not sure if they could harvest childrens organs without parental consent will have to have a read at that. Or do the parent or guardian have to do an opt out.

If that's the case then I don't like it tbh.

i was watching it on the news.

if the family doesn't agree with organ transplant then the organs will not be used.

I aint sure about this "assumed permission" stance, but then again
If i needed a transplant, maybe my views would be diffrent.

difficult subject..
@IANB seen your reply after i posted this.. you must type faster than me lol

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, it should always be "opt-in" rather than having to opt-out.

If organ harvesting is the default it could remove impetus for medical staff keeping you alive knowing that your bits and pieces will be doled out to several other people.

Maybe I'll change my mind if I make it to 75 and want to live longer by wanting my brain transplanted into a twenty year old body donor.

I agree with this, but one day some else might save my life by donation....

Tbh up until a few months ago I’d have disagreed with this but my sisters in law has recently received the gift of a kidney, this has not only changed her life but the life or her partner and children.

In life, if it doesn’t affect us it’s easier to be lazy and do nothing, but how many lazy people “probably wouldn’t have minded if they’re organs were used “

organ transplants isn’t something we really need to think about until it hits home, so in effect this new law is making us have to think and decide for ourselves, is this such a bad thing ?

I opted in through my driving licence and think that having to opt out is the best way. If anyone disagrees with it , opt out problem solved. I see people's point involving kids but if you still have the choice of vetoing that isn't a problem.

Was talking about this yesterday with family
lets just say they were not happy about what I said......
For me its a No.

Was talking about this yesterday with family
lets just say they were not happy about what I said......
For me its a No.

opt out then, problem solved.

there may be another way, if a person didn't opt in , then they wouldn't be eligible to receive donated organs?

that may change a few peoples view's or get them to actually get off there arses to opt in or out.

Back