Experts Section

I'll be an expert, send money! Lol!

Seriously, on the money front, I'd feel comfortable with an optional donation to a charity of choice. I know, no-one can monitor that but maybe worth consideration.

On the selection of experts two things spring to mind:

1 - I'd be a bit reluctant to throw my hat in the ring as an 'expert', there are lots of people on here with excellent skills. Maybe it's the word? Something with a little broader meaning perhaps like mentor or something that suggests they would stick with the issue. Open to suggestions on that one.

2 - @nara suggested 'expert in sweet fa' but often common-sense can make a difference. Being an expert in summat doesn't always produce the best result.

Sorry if that muddied the water somewhat, just my tuppence!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be an expert, send money! Lol!

Seriously, on the money front, I'd feel comfortable with an optional donation to a charity of choice. I know, no-one can monitor that but maybe worth consideration.

On the selection of experts two things spring to mind:

1 - I'd be a bit reluctant to throw my hat in the ring as an 'expert', there are lots of people on here with excellent skills. Maybe it's the word? Something with a little broader meaning perhaps like mentor or something that suggests they would stick with the issue. Open to suggestions on that one.

2 - @nara suggested 'expert in sweet fa' but often common-sense can make a difference. Being an expert in summat doesn't always produce the best result.

Sorry if that muddied the water somewhat, just my tuppence!

No mate don't be reluctant to throw your hat in the ring. Your knowledge and expertise on various things is more than apparent ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
just ment ye its ok to help people but spoon feeding them info isn't really helpful sometimes

I can understand that.

tbh I tend to ignore posts asking for obvious stuff that ten seconds on Google can find. It tends to make lazy people even lazier if they're not encouraged to make some effort themselves.

Well im sure the "experts" will have the ability to weed that out and moderators would also be able to remove the "spoonfed" crap too ;). It would be unfair on the intended benifactors of this not to do it because of people wanting spoonfed. Im sure the Admin/Mod team would be more than happy to deal with the spoilers.

I also feel that there is a lot of untapped expertise on this forum. Most people will have or have had a field of expertise in their work or working life. We already have this to an extent ie electrical, motor trade etc im sure there are many fields that can be covered.

The money side of things albeit volountary would make moderation difficult in my opinion. We would need to allow everyone access to the facility as we would not know if the person would or intends to pay or donate. Take the money side out and we can control who gets the benefit of the experts. That's only MY opinion. I suppose a way around this could be to only allow a certain level of user group access but that could be self defeating :(

I would never give to most charities.

Directors on six figure salaries for doing nothing and low percentage of money getting to the cause.

I would never give to most charities.

Directors on six figure salaries for doing nothing and low percentage of money getting to the cause.

Same old, same old. Compliance, forms, red-tape and 10% goes to a good cause...

Still, getting back on topic, happy to help out where I can :)

Will stick as a reasonably up-to-speed muppet rather than an expert though ;)

Hmm

What about a DW charity account

The donations go into a account and then the mods / admin give that money to a good cause e.g local appeals, hospital units .etc

And u can have a separate page to show who u gave the money to and where u giving it next

what about no money mentioned what so ever as it could seem like members paying for something. also there is only so far you can go with giving help to people with out it helping people you don't want to help (most will know what i mean).

to be honest don't see any thing wrong with the way things are. if people want to post help requests then they will either post or not

its an interesting idea, but any sensible request for help get answered promptly by experts anyways..

not sure about the optional donation part, might prevent new member for asking for help
if they feel a donation (not compulsery) is expected, might make them think twice before posting...

How many times have we went online to find expert help on something. Would it not be nice if that expert help could be found on here by in house experts. Not just sat cable pc etc but anything. There could be a list of people naming there field ie heating engineer, car tech, domestic appliance etc etc . Like I said earlier there must be some amount of untapped knowledge here already.

Agree there should be no fee for help on DW, we have always slagged others off for doing that

However I think there should be a donation button for Mods, say £5 per month per member :) lol

what about no money mentioned what so ever as it could seem like members paying for something.

Yeah I agree, I think the money side whatever way just does not work :)

I am going to try and code this for next weekend, See how it goes might take longer because I am quite busy at the moment!

Thanks for all the feedback, very useful and would be a sweet addition to the forums in my opinion.

Mick

I'm glad the payment bit is being burried, I'd feel uncomfortable 'charging' TBH. Plus you never know these days, some newbie 'crash & claim' type might find a way of sueing the forum if something did go wrong- irrespective of blame.
If someone was happy enough wth their help, perhaps they could be encouraged to become a paid-up premium menber (if not already), I'm sure the more of us pay in the better for all.
My 2P worth :)

I just created the sidebar for this modification :)

And I temporarily put the VIP as the expert group ;) for testing purposes.

Now to build a AJAX popup to allow selection of experts for posts.

Regards
Mick

Last edited:
Back