old style games

xbox 5101e v

Inactive User
Reaction score
I think the games of today don’t stand a chance of the game play of yesterday, i mean don’t get me wrong i love the 360 but, I was cleaning out my fathers attic the other day and guess what there were a Amiga a1200 up there, well got it down thought it wasn’t going to work but guess what it works.
Been playing all the old style shoot-em ups also canon folder these games really knew how to keep you captivated, unlike the games of today far too much storyline videos screens ECT ect ect. Not enough game play i just thought I would share this with the forum.
: multi : : multi :

Yeah its all fancy gfx and stuff no real gameplay. It always looked better in 2D

/rose tinted specs off ;)

Fancy graphics are no substitute for good gameplay. I know it's an old cliche, but they don't make 'em like they used to.

I agree im big into old school type games todays are ok but most have crappy gameplay and good gfx :(

its like im only 24 and i used to love playing on the bbc micro the amiga a1200 and even the lovely c64. hell im even going to buy sonic 1 and 2 and ecco the dolphin on live arcade i loved em soo much

i loved the amiga 1200

mine is in the drawer under my wee sisters bed (i hope)

i'll be collecting that this weekend.

weekend of flimbo's quest on the cards :)

maybe some rick dangerous

I spent 6 hours hours yesterday engrossed in Final Fantasy 3 on the SNES. Now that was a brilliant game.

I think another reason that old games are so special to us is because of the nostalgia value that they represent.

I have so many fond memories that originate from the late 80's and early 90's. Games like Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat, Zelda on the SNES and Sonic The Hedgehog on the Megadrive.

I think the truth is that games have never been better. The level of creativity, graphics, sound and scale are at an all time high. If you want one example of creativity than have a look at a game called Spore that is to be released shortly.

We have such a saturation of quality and variety in the gaming world that we dont really appreciate it anymore. We have never had as many quality consoles as we have now, MMORPG games are allowing an unprecedented number of people from all over the world to play together.

Anyway thats enough of my ranting, im off to play Gauntlet.

Damn you nostalgia!

Back