Routers o2 wireless box as an access point?

easymo3

DW Member +
Reaction score
as title guy's, I need to make another access point in a big house where homeplugs are impossible.
(3 different ring mains)

They have a netgear (not sure of model ATM) as the modem/router/wifi but it does not get through the ceiling because it is reinforced concrete.

I am going to run an ethernet cable from the main router to a location where I can install another router with wifi.

Will an o2 wireless box be ok to use as an access point? if not what will be the best router to buy?

any info/advice as to how i configure the 2'nd router to become an access point will very gratefully received.

thanks.

You cannot use the O2 one, it is primarily a modem. You need a router.

Last edited:
If you specifically want to use a router, you'll need one that is designed for DSL/cable/fibre. If going for an ISP supplied router off ebay, make sure you check whether it can be used as an access point first.

I know routers are normally cheaper than access points, but have a look at the access points from TP-Link. For example, their TL-WA801ND model is less that £30 on Amazon.

If you specifically want to use a router, you'll need one that is designed for DSL/cable/fibre. If going for an ISP supplied router off ebay, make sure you check whether it can be used as an access point first.

I know routers are normally cheaper than access points, but have a look at the access points from TP-Link. For example, their TL-WA801ND model is less that £30 on Amazon.

just ordered one of these.

Edimax EW-7416APn Wireless Router / Repeater 300N - Scan.co.uk

thanks to morilihochili.

On the o2 router set the Lan interface to a free IP address on your network outside of your DHSC scope, ensure DHCP is dissabled on the o2 router, configure the wireless interface on the o2 router and connect a Lan port on your netgear to a Lan port on the o2 router.

when a device connect to the o2 router, the o2 router will authacate the wireless connection the device will broadcast for DHCp this will be served from the netgear router, so the router side of the o2 router will be more or less redundant.

so the o2 router will work as an access point, you can use the same SSID but it must be on a different channel I.E net gear CH1, o2 router CH 6

Last edited:
Back