Not many of the old school left

Thommo

Hates everyone equally!
Reaction score
Woodlands Cemetery,Scarborough overlooking the sea
There cant be many of the old guard left now then.... No offence to the newer mods but the old school ones wont be beat... I ve already had a few narky remarks and comments to posts that were deemed nothing back years ago. posts edited and removed because of over sensitive mods (not a dig at ellie as they had that under there username when they got modded lol).

Before you could have right old ding dongs and as long as it didnt overstep the mark it was left to run, these days any sign of disagreement even before something kicks off and posts are closed.

You could even have a ding dong with the mods and there wasnt any hard feelings or bans ect... in recent years bad choices have been made and thankfully they have been ousted (if you know me i think you know who i mean on that one). those sorts made a point of neg repping and leaving infractions just because you didnt agree with them.. so your side of the story was trouble causing... hows a differing opinion trouble causing?

anyway off topic im saddened to see so many of the old ones go, the new ones are too new to judge really as members in the past they have been ok but we've all seen people we like as members suddenly become arses or idiots the minute they get a colour change and a infract/ban button.

off topic again but i started the post as "where have the old school gone?" and it turned into a rambling.

Thommo i have split from Rab-p thread and started a new one in gen chat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: My Status

There cant be many of the old guard left now then.... No offence to the newer mods but the old school ones wont be beat... I ve already had a few narky remarks and comments to posts that were deemed nothing back years ago. posts edited and removed because of over sensitive mods (not a dig at ellie as they had that under there username when they got modded lol).

Before you could have right old ding dongs and as long as it didnt overstep the mark it was left to run, these days any sign of disagreement even before something kicks off and posts are closed.

You could even have a ding dong with the mods and there wasnt any hard feelings or bans ect... in recent years bad choices have been made and thankfully they have been ousted (if you know me i think you know who i mean on that one). those sorts made a point of neg repping and leaving infractions just because you didnt agree with them.. so your side of the story was trouble causing... hows a differing opinion trouble causing?

anyway off topic im saddened to see so many of the old ones go, the new ones are too new to judge really as members in the past they have been ok but we've all seen people we like as members suddenly become arses or idiots the minute they get a colour change and a infract/ban button.

off topic again but i started the post as "where have the old school gone?" and it turned into a rambling.

Its keeping a balance tho mate as we dont want things going out of control. We do want freedom of expression but also want to protect people and their feelings. Must be remembered that mods and admin give their time for free and do spend a lot of time trying to keep the forum running the best it can be. Also a lot of work goes on behind the scene to keep it running smooth. I do respect your point of view tho

My Status

Haven't the rules been tightened slightly though? I guess maybe the mods are just trying to uphold the law so to speak, I have seen a few hissys though as you rightly pointed out thommo just because a mod hasn't agreed with someone in a heated debate, that's what makes a good mod IMO, being able to keep a cool head and remain impartial even if you think someone is spouting rubbish!

Either way the new guys have so far been great and I'm sure it'll stay that way :)

Aye dont get me wrong im not digging at the current crop far from it but i just think the old school had it sussed, balance i hear? well yes balance is needed you cant let people run away with the forum but sometimes balance isnt there its just what one person decides and the old crop had it sussed, it didnt matter if they didnt like something - it still stood, recently (and by that i dont mean the last few months) things have been removed and edited down to personal opinion and not because it was bad or over the mark.

Im all for keeping the ship running along without major hassles and as stated im not having a dig at the newer mods but the older crew let things go that they didnt like, I think you need to remember that, just because you dont like it doesnt mean it hasnt got a place on here, we are all different and post in different ways with varying degrees of cheeky piss taking and feck you type posts but i have seen posts removed and edited just because someone took it on themselves that "they" didnt like it.

I dont want to turn this thread into a big debate and ruin the original post and im not having a dig BUT what i am saying is it was better before as the mods knew the line and only really acted if that line was crossed and these days posts are edited and removed due to personal feelings on said matters.

mods should moderate (look at the word moderate - look it up in the dictionary) and only act when its called for and not when its not liked by them.

carry on, read it in context with how its posted, Im reminiscing about the old crew and not moaning at the new breed ;)

edit: typing as the post above was posted so didnt see.

I really don't keep up to date with current events on DW as I spend most of my time trying to understand the ins and outs of satellite or xbox or mobile phones or whatever and the other time bickering over football pmsl but Rab has also been an ever present in my DW time and although I don't know you personally Rab I have always felt you fair and willing to help.
Think it will feel odd your not a mod but welcome to our peasant like existence pal :)

I think I am the longest serving Mod, with Nap not far behind but Rab was one of the "Good un's" to be honest I haven't seen any bad ones in my time, maybe a few who got trigger happy and a few not liked by the general public (members) but that comes with the terrritory, you will never be liked by everyone, even a perfect Mod like me lmao >>> not :)

Yeah very sad to see RAB leave the mods room, but he did that out of respect for the site, he has problems off the site that is far more important!

New mods will one day be old mods should they continue to show interest :)

I also think that the site has been going for 14 years, it's normal for people to come and go, I remember when Damage was an admin with Diamond, they was excellent, and one day Damage never came back Diamond stepped down... Damage popped up a few years back and we had a little chat... but that is life, and peoples circumstances change all the time.

This is the life of a forum mate.

Mick

Before you could have right old ding dongs and as long as it didnt overstep the mark

Unfortunately that mark/line is purely subjective and those entrusted with being moderators decide where it's drawn, good or bad :| It's just the internet at the end of the day mate.

Thommo i have split from Rab-p thread and started a new one in gen chat.

Queer! ;)

NOT sent from my PC/Laptop.

The thing with banter is it will always cause offence to someone, as for having right old ding dongs, yes there has been a few good ones over the years lol, but sadly things move on, what was "acceptable banter" 10 years ago is not acceptable today, and as much as no one likes the "PC Brigade" we as Mods/Admin have to adapt and like it or not we have to become more PC ourselves as the internet and forums evolve

As a relative newbie who has crossed swords with more than the odd moderator in a relatively short space of time. and as one who has had the job of moderating the odd board or two...

...I don't envy anyone having to moderate MY comments lol

I would only add that on occasion I have taken things up on PM. On occasion I got my ass shredded and on occasion an agreement was reached - no detail required.

I would just suggest that moderators DO listen to whatever members express 'off the record' before the final shot is fired - then all will be fine.

In my experience, they do :)

The thing with banter is it will always cause offence to someone, as for having right old ding dongs, yes there has been a few good ones over the years lol, but sadly things move on, what was "acceptable banter" 10 years ago is not acceptable today, and as much as no one likes the "PC Brigade" we as Mods/Admin have to adapt and like it or not we have to become more PC ourselves as the internet and forums evolve

As do libel laws and potential internet prosecutions

As a relative newbie who has crossed swords with more than the odd moderator in a relatively short space of time. and as one who has had the job of moderating the odd board or two...

...I don't envy anyone having to moderate MY comments lol

I would only add that on occasion I have taken things up on PM. On occasion I got my ass shredded and on occasion an agreement was reached - no detail required.

I would just suggest that moderators DO listen to whatever members express 'off the record' before the final shot is fired - then all will be fine.

In my experience, they do :)

You haven't turned out that bad :)

I will point out i dont want this to become a mod bash, i was merely reading the rap-p thread and i just started thinking back what "it was like" and how its changed good or bad.

No worries thommo i dont think anyone see it as a mod bash :)

I will point out i dont want this to become a mod bash, i was merely reading the rap-p thread and i just started thinking back what "it was like" and how its changed good or bad.

u will soon know when u turn PINK ;)

More a 'team-building' exercise....

...now where's that smilie thing....

:tongue:

Back