Noob here wanting to getting into CS..what box do I need to get?

SkyFall

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi guy's.

Loving the forum by they way :)

I'm looking for some advice on CS.

I have previous experience on DBox2 (had one for about 2-3 years) so I'm not new to FTP and stuff and programming the boxes.

Here's what I had before.

Sly+ with all the channels = £80 a month from £55 (that's why we fell out lol)

Now I had a big disagreement with Sly and told them to stuff it and cancelled my subscription.

Now there's nothing wrong with sky i was happy with there service just not the price when other people were paying half of that for being new customers!

Anyway

I'm after a box which can let me watch all the channels ;)

Something that I can record on because that's the biggest thing i miss!!

Cheaper the better as I'm at my bro's house and hoping to move out soon then I'll look into spending £300+ on something.

Features I'm after:

HD
Recording ability (is recoding one channel and watching another channel do able on these boxes? or am i looking into the duel tuner ones which are £300+)
A good EPG

Budget

£100 max
I also know you have to pay £10-£20 a month for the channels ;) which is not a problem.

I've looked at the Dream boxes and the Vu Boxes so far and there around £150 - £200!

I'd be very HAPPY if someone could give me some advice :Biggrin2:

Thanks
SkyFall

if your wanting to record one channel and watch another then you will need a dual tuner box, clone vu duo's can be had for around £160-£170, last time i looked anyway, which will do all you require!

Thanks for the quick replied guys!!

Ok so now i know i need a duel tuner box i wan't to record and watch another channel.

So let's say i don't mind that just record something i am watching or if the box is on stand by mode.

I've had a look about and found this box, any good?

link removed

or this one?

Appreciate the help guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
I get somemthing more main stream as there will be more support for them.
If your not bothered about dual tuners then the F3 boxes maybe something for you to look at.

At the moment all i have is FTA on the sky+ so anything would be better that what im watching now :p

how about a Technomate? my paretns have one of these but old version non-hd

LINK

this also boasts (apparently)

"Boasts some fantastic new features such ETHERNET PORT, record three channels to external optional hard-drive and watch another channel from the same transponder, HD USB PVR Ready One Card Slot one CI Slot, multicrypt card reader so will read VIACCESS , ASTONSECA, CRYPTOWORKS, IRDETO, CONAX and much more!"

It's £139

If you want to CS a excellent Idea is to buy 2 boxes with your budget buy a DM500 clone then you have your server box, then buy a cheap HD box like the F3 or Old model open box to view.

You will get both boxes for £100 deliverd then you can enjoy the best of both worlds.

PS word of warning do not buy a open box S16 there door stopper's be warned !!!!

thanks for the replies!

So an F3 box? there around £49 on ebay :)

but with the price does that mean they are slow? one of the things that annoys me with my parents one is the channel changing! and just overall menu speeds are slow.

£150 mate,

It might be better if i spend a bit more and get a box that will last me longer and also will be used by my bro.

Did anyone see the Techno one I posted?

record three channels to external optional hard-drive and watch another channel from the same transponder

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read that the F3 box can't get 7 day EPG?? or is that software dependant?

Ignore that writing about the technomate, any single tuner box can watch a second channel if its on the same transponder as the one being recorded, trouble is, only a few channels are ever on the same transponder so say if your recording a program on a channel, only maybe 3 or 4 channels will be available to you and they could be random channels you'd never watch anyway!

the f3 although a basic box, isnt bad but your right, it has no epg, its the one huge downfall with the openboxes as they are cheap as chips and have a good picture quality

for 150 quid mate Id get a dreambox 800se clone, its a great box and has good support and being linus, has lots of plugins available, they are a bit more of a learning curve, but as you are used to your old dbox, your on the right track.

I'm thinking the £50 SkyBox first then i can sort of play about with that to get it going then always get a better box and use the skybox somewhere else.

I mean £50 would get me sly tv again with all the channels! no 7 day EPG but now and next....

Would i need to get any "extra" hardware for the box?

they have Skybox m3 which is smaller and has the USB port on the back opposed to the front on the F3.

Would the M3 be the better choice then?

the openbox / skyboes have optical out for surround, I assume thats what your after? for 5.1? Personally I'd say put that 50 quid towards a better box but its down to you, if you just want something you can switch on for the footie then by all means but if your going to be using it day to day I'd get the dreambox or something better,

I bought an openbox s10 just before getting my dreambox as a tester box, I hadnt had a third party box for a number of years and I just wanted to see if I still had the thirst for the hobby, well, within 2 weeks the thirst became a bloodlust and I regretted wasting the 60 quid the openbox cost me and instantly started scheming how to raise the funds for a linux reciever lol :proud:

as for usb on the front or back, well thats down to preference but the pro on the front is that its easy for sticking your usb stick in and out for updating channel lists / firmwares but if your recording to a usb drive then it doesnt look too pretty, whereas if its hidden at the back, its no problem but then its a pain when updating etc lol.

the openbox / skyboes have optical out for surround, I assume thats what your after? for 5.1? Personally I'd say put that 50 quid towards a better box but its down to you, if you just want something you can switch on for the footie then by all means but if your going to be using it day to day I'd get the dreambox or something better,

I bought an openbox s10 just before getting my dreambox as a tester box, I hadnt had a third party box for a number of years and I just wanted to see if I still had the thirst for the hobby, well, within 2 weeks the thirst became a bloodlust and I regretted wasting the 60 quid the openbox cost me and instantly started scheming how to raise the funds for a linux reciever lol :proud:

as for usb on the front or back, well thats down to preference but the pro on the front is that its easy for sticking your usb stick in and out for updating channel lists / firmwares but if your recording to a usb drive then it doesnt look too pretty, whereas if its hidden at the back, its no problem but then its a pain when updating etc lol.

Think what I'm going to do is get the £49 skybox m3 or f3

By the way i don't seem see any optical port on that mate.

Just to tide us over, I might even go back to sky if they offer me a better "come back to us" offer!!

Don't mind paying for it because it's got what I want!

To get anywhere near what features sly have I'd need to spend £300-£400 for a decent receiver right?!

Thanks for your help and the pm
Dude ;)

Think what I'm going to do is get the £49 skybox m3 or f3

By the way i don't seem see any optical port on that mate.

Just to tide us over, I might even go back to sky if they offer me a better "come back to us" offer!!

Don't mind paying for it because it's got what I want!

To get anywhere near what features sly have I'd need to spend £300-£400 for a decent receiver right?!

Thanks for your help and the pm
Dude ;)

Oh right, I thought they had optical out, sorry mate! my s10 did so I assumed the newer models did aswell! sorry!

a sly reciever is just a twin tuner hd box matey, you dont need to spend that much money for a box that'll do a similar job, look up the vu duo, I think it was mentioned a few posts up?

no probs matey, any more questions feel free ;)

Went for the SLYBOX M3 of ebay for £47 :)

Went for the M3 instead of F3 because of the rear usb and the remote extender. Think a usb at the front was a poor design flaw on the F3

now how to figure out how to get channels! ;)

What's this all about i need a card in the box? or sim card??

Thought it was just plug and enter the codes? no viewing cards??

Back