nokia 5800

pepper49

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi, have been reading posts and up to September last year tomtom would not work on this phone, does anybody know if this is still the case or has anyone got it working now.

Ta.

Al.

Thanks, Clinkers, please would you let me know how you get on, thanks.

Well, I downloaded it but not too much use to me: you need to have an internet connection to use navigation in Maps. I got stung for €20 before Christmas for 1Mb info using the phone (I've no free internet access), so I won't be using it at all! If you have free internet access on your phone, might be ok for you?

Gotta say, I think Nokia's software is nearly as bad as iTunes!

Well, I downloaded it but not too much use to me: you need to have an internet connection to use navigation in Maps. I got stung for €20 before Christmas for 1Mb info using the phone (I've no free internet access), so I won't be using it at all! If you have free internet access on your phone, might be ok for you?

Gotta say, I think Nokia's software is nearly as bad as iTunes!
Edited: your quite correct, my phone never even asked if I wanted to use the Internet while on the map, it just connected!!
For a free map I personally think it's pretty good, especially for on a phone. Voice instructions & route shown, what else are you looking for?
HH.

2nd edit: Boy am I confused. I posted here earlier saying of course the Navigation feature was free
Taken from a Nokia email
No network connection required when navigating: To avoid expensive, battery-draining network connections, Nokia’s unique technology allows users to pre-load maps onto their Nokia smartphone and set Ovi Maps to offline mode, saving battery power, whilst the navigation system keeps working. This is particularly useful for eliminating foreign data connection fees while travelling abroad or when travelling through areas with little or no network coverage.
Then I checked my account & I've got an Internet change from earlier today when I was using my phone for navigation so I made my 1st edit. I'm sure it should be free, either I've got the wrong map or my phone's not setup properly. I'm off to see if I can figure it out.

Last edited:
Hi HH,

Yeah, I was looking it up on t'intreweb when I was downloading the maps: needs internet access for navigation and instructions. I was hoping it would just use the phone itself to find it's position, as soon as I saw it used internet, I didn't even try.

What would I like? Garmin/TomTom quality on my 5800 for free, please!

Hmmmmm, think I might have it sussed after some kind poster over at NokiaUsers pointed me in the right direction.

Go to phone settings and then 'Phone>Application settings>Positioning'
In 'Positioning method' Make sure that there is only a tick next to integrated GPS.
In 'Positioning server' make sure 'Positioning server use' is set to disabled.

Now maps will not use any online data at all, but may not run at it's most effitient.

Seems to have worked for me mate, Positioning method for me had a tick next to 'Network based' & 'Positioning server use' was set to automatic.
Seems to be free for me -like it says on the tin- now.
HH.

Back