No sound when playing DVD

steve7713

Inactive User
Reaction score
My son got a TV for Xmas and I have connected an Xbox360 to it via HDMI, the games play flawlessly. I was expecting to be able to play his DVD's just as well but the picture is the but no sound.

I believe the Xbox is an Elite with a MFD date mid 2010.

Could the sound issue be Settings, if so what as I am sure I have them all correct. With the TV, not coping with the sound signal. Or the firmware, I am not sure what it is on at the moment.

I really don't know what the problem could be if you get sound when playing your games try another disc just to be sure I don't know but maybe if you press the guide button on the controller and go to the media bit where you can skip tracks there is a volume control maybe that has something to do with it if not its something I've never heard of :(

have you tried flicking between "inputs" when you have the DVD playing? HDMI1 > HDMI2 and then back or what ever you have on that make of TV.

Couple of this of the net.

Check your settings on your xbox, you can configure the movie sound vs the game sound to different settings so you might have movies to hdmi but games to say surround sound or another setting which you do not have the equipment for

Here's another one.

1. Try changing the HDMI INPUT (this TV has 4 HDMI INPUTS)

2. Try connecting the Xbox with Component cables or RCA cables to check if you find the same issue with analog connections as well as with the digital connection.

3. Disable the following options under "ADVANCED SETTINGS" on the menu:

. GAME MODE (Advanced picture settings)
. INSIGNIA MOTION 120Hz (Advanced picture settings)
. AUDYSSEY DYNAMIC VOLUME (Advanced Audio settings)

In addition, I have been doing some research on the set up of the Xbox and there is a specific function we need to check:

.Under "System Settings" select "Console Settings" then select "Display", inside the Display menu go to the option "HDMI Color Space", finally select "YCbCR709" . This will enable the Digital Audio to be used when playing DVD's with the Xbox.

One more thing would be to check what is the output format in which the Xbox is sending the sound to the TV, meaning 2.0 or 5.1 surround sound.

Please let me know if this information was useful and if it worked or not!

I hope to hear from you soon!

Thank you,
Guille
Insignia™ Support Team

In the end it was as simple as asking the Xbox to discover the display. It is strange that the games play fine without changes but files did not.

I also picked him up a remote control today, so guess who is the best dad today:Clap:

In the end it was as simple as asking the Xbox to discover the display. It is strange that the games play fine without changes but files did not.

I also picked him up a remote control today, so guess who is the best dad today:Clap:

Lol strange but I'm glad it's working! Now Get off the computer and get back to being best dad lol

Back