Newbie with a PSP

beezo

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Im new to all this but have just bought my little lad a psp an was wondering if its possible to 'chip' it so I can save myself some money on games.

if it can be chipped, would it be possible to take me step by step through the process as ive read some tuts but am getting a little confused with them all.

All I can tell you is that I have a 32MB memory card (will upgrade this if need be) and the version operating on the psp is version 2.50 and there is no sticker in the UMD

just had a look now but Its really hard to see!!

It does look like it says ic6001 on the left hand side, there doesnt seem to be any writing on the righthand side

just had a look now but Its really hard to see!!

It does look like it says ic6001 on the left hand side, there doesnt seem to be any writing on the righthand side

Thats fine mate, you have 2 options now, get an original UMD of GTA, that has the 2.0 update this will allow you to downgrade 2.5 or 2.6. Or you can simply upgrade to 2.71 and use the downgrader. There are plenty of Readme's here that should guide you. ANd plenty of people to answer your questions.

can someone tell me whats the point in either upgrading or downgrading!!!

If I do either of the above will I be able to save games to a memory card from the internet?? and also which is better, to downgrade or upgrade??? whats the pro's and cons

many thanx in advance

Downgrading to a 1.50 Sony Firmware and then upgrade to an OE; latest is 3.40 OE (Open Edition) or 3.52 M33 Firmware; latest is m33-4 IIRC. This will provide you with all the benefits of the latest additions to the PSP. You will still be able to play homebrew and backups of games you *ahem* already own on your memory stick.

Don't confuse the custom firmwares with Sony's as you'll end up being tied down to no homebrew etc if you go above a 3.50 official FW.

Thanks!

But can someone now please point me in the right direction of the software that allows you to downgrade to 1.50 then upgrade to 3.52 m33 firmware!

Have you tried the stickys at the top of this section? It is all there.

Good luck, if you get stuck I'm sure someone will help you.

All on here, m8, https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/downloads.php?do=cat&id=51

Don't have to venture far. Tip for you, read any and all readmes and instructions a few times so you're au fait with what's required.

With a 2.50 and no GTA:LCS or Lumines original UMD (unpatched) do as janobi says and use the 2.71 downgrader. Then choose a custom firmware to upgrade to.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok cheers,

but before I attempt this (dont want to brick my psp) can i ask the following

I have found in the download section aa 2.71 to 1.50 downgrader but as previously said my psp has version 2.50 on it so does this mean I can use this software safely straight off or do I first have to upgrade my psp from 2.50 to 2.71 first ???

ok cheers,

but before I attempt this (dont want to brick my psp) can i ask the following

I have found in the download section aa 2.71 to 1.50 downgrader but as previously said my psp has version 2.50 on it so does this mean I can use this software safely straight off or do I first have to upgrade my psp from 2.50 to 2.71 first ???

yes mate upgrade first to 2.71,thats why i gave you the 3 links,,,make sure the psp is atleast 75% charged and leave the charger in while doing it,also format memory stick first

Thanx bro!!!

you beat me to it!! you must be telepathic lol

thanx alot mate, really appreciate it

for the upgrade to 2.71 part

turn on usb connection and it will open up memory stick of psp on the pc,create a folder called GAME (in capital letters,,,,,inside the game folder create a folder called UPDATE (in capital letters)and put the eboot inside the update folder

so it will be PSP/GAME/UPDATE

right guys, just got back from my hols and Im looking into doing as you people say but the problem im having now is that when I try to download the files I need, I get an error message saying that the file cannot be found!!!

what should I do????

Also can someone tell me what size memory card I should buy as Ive seen a 4GB card for £26.00 but unsure if its big enough..... any advice please

thanx in advance

Looks like the downloads section isn't working again. Give it some tme and it'll be back up. And yes a 4 GIG stick is more than enough to do the updrading / downgrading . It is also useful for your *ahem* backup games.

yeah 4gb will be plenty of room. youll get between 3 and 7 games on the card maybe more depending on the size of the game

need help please guys!!!

Just upgraded the psp using the link in the previous post which was supposed to upgrade the psp to version 2.71 but when ive now looked on the system settings, it says version 3.03.

Is this right??? Have I done something wrong???

please guys, I dont want to brick my psp, my son will be gutted

need help please guys!!!

Just upgraded the psp using the link in the previous post which was supposed to upgrade the psp to version 2.71 but when ive now looked on the system settings, it says version 3.03.

Is this right??? Have I done something wrong???

please guys, I dont want to brick my psp, my son will be gutted

To downgrade a 3.03, you'll need an unpatched copy of GTA:LCS, or further upgrade to 3.50 and you'll need an unpatched copy of Lumines or create a magic memory stick and battery using pandora files.

Back