Newbie Question - again

matty125

Member ++
Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before but nothing appeared to some up in the searches. I feel I am quite close with my first SB5101e after reading the haynes guide.

Eventaully got myself a sb5101e, with infinite installed - Using the DHCP Sniffer-0.1.4.57b- I have tried multiple macs with no success.

I have entered the correct tftp, ds frequency, forced a cmreg-ntlhm120-bund03.cm config, selected the correct annex, tuner and admin status but each time I connect to the cable feed after "acquirinng a ip address" (DHCP enabled) the ip address assigned is 192.168.100.10 and I get no internet access.

Surely this should be 80.xx.xx.xx similar to my subbed modem?

I have tried programming the modem with both 250 configerator and Ambit Config 0.971.

Thanks for any help..

Cheers

u cant use the macs that u find in DHCP u need to swap with someone who is from a different UBR (segment of the cable network)

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Thanks

Ok cheers - Thanks for the prompt response...

I was under the impression that the macs obtained by using the dhcp sniffer should work ...

Reply to a previous post my mine from MONkey...

"As for Solsters scanner, if you have a 250 MAC to run through it and brute force that MAC then it will give you a list of working 250 MACS for your gateway. Now the thing is these are just reply's from the server that get allocated bandwidth. There is no guarentee that they are not from your gateway, or from a surrounding one, just that they will work. Your best bet here is to use a MAC that is brute forced and if it reboots every 1-2 mins then it's very likely it's on your gateway, or someone else has it cloned on your gateway so switch MACS "

If I keep getting assigned 192.168.100.10 is this an indication that I am using a wrong mac?

Thanks - sorry for such dumb qustions!

Thanks

Thanks

I can't see dw sniffer in the downloads though..

I am using DHCP Sniffer © 2007, solster@dw (the DW edition)

If I am suing the wrong one please can someone please post a link or a subtle nudge..

Thanks for the help so far.

Thanks

Yes

thats the one...

I must be doing something else wrong or need to try more macs

cheers

copy and post the connection status lets see what its doing

Thanks Gentlex..

Will post tomorrow - the kid is in bed now can't get to mahine - what pages do you want to see? Just the config settings from 192.168.100.1? or the network settings from windows? or both?

Any ideas why DHCP assign IP address on the pc of 192.168.100.10 subbet 255.255.255.0 and gateway 192.168.100.1? I don't understand the IP address, but the rest appear ok.

Ta!

Hi,

thanks - yes I changed the network setting to dedect automatically (DHCP) so should "pull" the correct setting down.

Anyway - here the print out for 192.168.100.1

Startup Procedure
Procedure Status Comment
Acquire Downstream Channel 744500000 Hz In Progress
Connectivity State In Progress Not Synchronized
Boot State In Progress Unknown
Configuration File In Progress
Security Disabled Disabled

Downstream Channel
Lock Status Not Locked Modulation unknown
Channel ID 0 Symbol rate Unknown
Downstream Frequency 744500000 Hz Downstream Power 2.8 dBmV
SNR 23.3 dB

Upstream Channel
Lock Status Not Locked Modulation QPSK
Channel ID 0 Symbol rate 0 Ksym/sec
Upstream Frequency 0 Hz Upstream Power 8.3 dBmV

CM IP Address Duration Expires
---.---.---.--- D: -- H: -- M: -- S: -- --- --- -- --:--:-- ----

Hope it helps...

what area r u in and how r u setting up the modem (what program r u using 260configurator or hyperterminal) slso what area r u in???

Hi,

Hi,

I am in ex CW area (portsmouth)- European docsis and tried using both 250 configerator and Ambit Config 0.971

Thanks..

Hi,

I am in ex CW area (portsmouth)- European docsis and tried using both 250 configerator and Ambit Config 0.971

Thanks..
i gathered u have a live cable feed? if so, put the modem directly on the incoming feed no (splitter) and see if it locks

hi

Yes I do have a live feed - as I still have a sub modem.

I'll try again today and post the results. Is it best to use the ambit configerator?. I did have some problems with the 250 configerator program as some options did not appear to save properly. i.e the force config option remained enabled on reboot when unticked and the "write settings" was actioned.

I not sure how long the modem should take to lock on... but I leave it for a couple of minutes and post the results.

One question - the ds frequency shown in the config page of "Acquire Downstream Channel 744500000 Hz In Progress" excuse the dumb question but should this read 586750000 Hz???

Thanks

use the ambit tool and select ex c&w for ur area and untick force tftp confg and fill in ur mac then try it

Thanks

Success - well sort of....

I noticed that the DS frequency was reducing from 744500000 downwards each time I refreshed the browser. In leaving for about 20 mins it evenutally locked on!

I now have up the vm reg page ! Now to try some more macs till I find a working one!

One last question - even though I specify the ds frequency the modem 586750000 (indicated in 250 configerator and ambit) why is constantly scanning beore locking on??

This may take the process of finding a valid mac quite long...

Thanks for all who looked and helped this daft newbie...

Success

Hi,

Thanks to all who helped - Success.

I needed to change the ds frequency as it is different to the normal documented frequency for my region - this coupled with a couple of mac changes (scaned from my subbed 250 using DW Sniffer - not traded) and all OK so far...

Brill... Now time to play.

Thanks again...

Back