Newbie guide

poolfan

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Be gentle. surfing around the threads trying to pick up what I can.

I've got my first receiver (600c) arriving tomorrow, would like some guidance on set-up.

If there are tutorials for people like me, please let me know.

So here goes.

First I need to flash an image (latest gemini). I want to use router to transfer (not serial link)

Is FTP the easiest. What is best software to use as FTP client. Is there a guide out there? Which directory do you put in?

Next need software to download is what will do the decryption (Evocamd 2.14 I'm told work well for Dublin N*L). How do I load this to Dreambox and into which directory (FTP or other?)

I'n new to this whole field, but am tech savvy, willing to learn

Thanks in advance!!

A sticky at the top DM600C thread tells you how to flash the image and the files you will need but i think there is an Dublin image somewhere in the downloads section which might be what you need for your box.

Sorry the Dublin image looks like it is only for the DM500.

Last edited:
I've read that you can mount a USB key & use its flash memory instead of the internal flash memory of dreambox - is this a good idea?

There is no USB port on the DM600 box only an ide connections for the hard disc. Apparently I read on another forum someone has managed to get multiboot working on the hard drive so that they do not have to use the flash memory by using a 'Barry Allen' image plugin.

thanks for that.

i've downloaded image below to my pc, it is an .nfi extension type file after being unzipped.

http://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/forums/index.php?resources/1694/

i thought that firmware was meant to be .img or .fwz?

Am I missing something, or can I go ahead and use FlashWizardPro to install this onto th edreambox600?

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for that.

i've downloaded image below to my pc, it is an .nfi extension type file after being unzipped.

http://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/forums/index.php?resources/1694/

i thought that firmware was meant to be .img or .fwz?

Am I missing something, or can I go ahead and use FlashWizardPro to install this onto th edreambox600?

Hi it,s nfi format you can use dreamup to flash tick network if you know your ip takes two minutes ***

i've just installed dreamup, it picks up the MAC for dreambox.
tells me to turn the Drembox on, but when this is done, doesn't do anything??

am i mising a step?

Check what version of Dreamup you are using, there was aspecial version of Dreamup released for DM600 I think it may have been 1.3.02.

checked, have the correct version, 1.3.0.2 (called Dreamup_DM600)

deffo have the correct IP's as have checked the router & dreambox (DHCP enabled) both having the same IP, checked ipconfig for laptop IP??

the image to flash for 600, are they .nfi (as all guides refer to .img files, so confused?)

If you are having problems than I would use a null modem cable and Dreamup otherwise I generally stick to the web interface method specified by Zaf786. All the images I have used have all been .nfi and I have never used Flash Wizard.

can you tell me what the web interface methid is or link to it?

now that i know i have the corect image (.nfi), can you tell me what file extension is for the emulator software, and into which directory it is placed on dreambox?

i thought that the set-up would be easy enough, now understanding that i haven't a clue really!!

matter where you are? (I'm in Dublin)

cheer for the help.

Take dweeb4's advise earlier in the thread as he has already been there.

light at end of tunnel!!

looked at the link about webinterface.

basically you write a linux command to tell dreambox to stop booting or something

however next line says that 'can't use box again until until you flashed an nfi, using the webinterface of the bootloader.'

i have the .nfi, but how do you actually complete the flash of nfi from webinteface (i.e. dreambox IP address entered into web brouser)?

light at end of tunnel!!

looked at the link about webinterface.

basically you write a linux command to tell dreambox to stop booting or something

however next line says that 'can't use box again until until you flashed an nfi, using the webinterface of the bootloader.'

i have the .nfi, but how do you actually complete the flash of nfi from webinteface (i.e. dreambox IP address entered into web brouser)?

https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/125054/

I used that thread info to flash my box with Mrdude noob img and then just did auto scan and it works great.

Once you have entered the telnet commands the boot loader will be dead on your box and this is the point where you enter the ip address of your dm600 into your browser and then point it to your .nfi file to flash it to the box. Once it reaches 100% you unplug the power lead and plug it back in again and ait for the box to boot up.

cheers guys.

i think that i have the steps dumbed down for even me now!!

the girlfriend is watching tv now (real N*L), so best not disturb!! :licker:

Curious123 - one last query. when i enter the commands via telnet and connect on browser using 600PVR IP, I presume there is a prompt to say 'flash using file' with a browse button shown, or something to prompt person to direct to correct .nfi file.

again, thanks v. much for help tonight, much appreciated. thank **** for forums like this!!

wish me luck tomorrow morning (may be back with more ???)

: thanks :

On your pc , Start > Run > telnet dm ip

enter commands listed in the web interface , the box will reboot and you will see red flashing light on your dreambox.
Start browser and enter ip address of your dreambox and point to your .nfi image file. When it gets to 100% reboot box by unplugging power and replugging power than follow instruction on your dreambox and do a full scan.

Good luck.

Back